· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Integration of Maxima in NeoOffice
Integration of Maxima in NeoOffice

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonas Den

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Integration of Maxima in NeoOffice

Hi developers!

I have a idea. Could it be possible to integrate Maxima into NeoOffice. Probably as a plugin. this could be very nice - and will so be a very powerfull officesuit for mathematicians ect.

I ask for this because it is so difficult to install Maxima on Mac OS X.

Best regards,
Jonas from Denmark (Europe)
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject:

Are you a Maxima developer, and if so would you help integrate it with NeoOffice ?

Otherwise (and if integration is possible), because the NeoOffice project has limited resources, such a plugin wouldn't come free of charge as it would take some of the developers' (limited) time while only benefiting a specific group of users.

Moreover, before any kind of development takes place there will need to be tanglible proof of a sufficient demand, since there are only two developers who don't have the time (sic) to get involved in projects that divert them from the main NeoOffice development without any repercussion on the project's resources ...
Jonas Den .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject:

I'm not a developer of Maxima. The fact is that I can't develop programs.

But it was just a idea to a future version of NeoOffice. A combination of Maxima with Latex-layout (or somthing else, so you have a grafical UI of math formulas) in Writer and/or Calc would be great.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject:

Welcome to NeoOffice Jonas Den,

Thank you for your suggestion. I don't think we are saying it's a bad idea, just that the current development resources are not enough to do this task.

There is another Math tool that have been updated for NeoOffice mention in this thread.
jgd wrote:
I'm afraid it's not possible to edit math formulas imported from MsWord. They are imported as images and are readable but not editable.
You might consider using Dmaths to write maths formulas easily. It's a French app, but there are English and German versions.

http://www.dmaths.org/index.php
It looks like others are working hard to make math formulas ... easier? Shocked
Maybe this will help?

Philip ( does not do much with Math formulas Wink )

<edit to fix long URL - Philip>
<note: Dmaths looks kinda cool! >

Last edited by LemonAid on Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if Jonas would not search something more like MATLAB. If so, try to install Freemat. It's free, open source and supports many features such as solving linear syltems, matrix eigenvalues, built in arithmetic, 2D and 3D plotting, and more…
It installs easily (Mac OS X installer). Universal binary, but AFAIK doesn't run on Panther.

Jacqueline
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject:

And I found this thread "Use Grapher to embed equations...." over at http://www.macosxhints.com.

It has some interesting ideas for using Grapher, LaTeX, a new program called LatexIt, and such.

Maybe this information could help all the NeoOffice users who keep asking for better math equation editors. Rolling Eyes
- sounds like a new Wiki article - Math Equations (for dummies?)

Philip (Gee, I didn't know folks still used ... Math! Shocked )

\. "Long may the code reign!" I LIKE it! Cool
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:14 am    Post subject:

LemonAid wrote:

- sounds like a new Wiki article - Math Equations (for dummies?)

Why not?
It deserves thought. There are already some articles in the wiki about Neo Math. An English version (Thanks Smokey). Tips and Hints at the below of that page. And Fr, Es, It versions of the five articles (Thanks Valter and Roy for the It and Es translations Very Happy )

Jacqueline
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1