Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo 1.1.2 Final!
OOo 1.1.2 Final!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: OOo 1.1.2 Final!

OK, I finished the edits to the README and put together the "final" installer. It's already on its way to the mirror network so it can propogate in time for Monday. I tested it locally on my configurations, but wanted to make it available to check if anyone else can find any showstoppers. If there aren't hopefully folks can play around with it so we can try to nip the most common questions in the bud with a FAQ Smile

I'm going away for the weekend to a seminar, so will have nearly no time to reply or fix things. I have to leave now so haven't had time to get it up for FTP or on my regular torrent host...here's hoping the initial seed client I have set up right now will work.

Note: This is going out to the mirror network now, but if we find any errors we can pull the plug so to speak and see if we can get something else up on Sunday.

Downloading

Filename : ooo112_osxfinal.dmg.bz2
Size : 155 MB

MD5 Sum : 255dfcf3fd470ef2892a991ffb67fcfb

BitTorrent : http://trinity.neooffice.org/torrents/ooo112_final.torrent

Changes since GM Candidate 2

- Updated README with corrections, additional installation notes, and upgrade notes.
    - Fix typo in "Third party" directory readme.
    - Incorporate unotools/ucbhelper fix to workaround URL loading crash

Upgrading

If you aren't interested in testing and only using and have downloaded one of the previous candidates, one single library changed. I will post this sometime next week on the FTP server for folks to download and will post instructions at that time.

Installing over Previous 1.1.2 Builds

If you have installed previous versions of OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 through either the Tech Preview installers or RC1/RC2 IA installers, you will need to edit your ".sversionrc" file by hand so the path points to the newly installed OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 directory. You may also remove your .sversionrc file and OOo 1.1.2 will regenerate it on first launch. The .sversionrc file will need to be corrected for every user account under which OOo 1.1.2 has been previously run.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Well, from the looks of things Ed won't see this, but I'm not seeing any peers to connect to in BT Sad So no more testing, I guess.

[Edit: I see it's on the StarDiv "mirror," so I'll get it from there for testing purposes; I hope that's hallal.... I'll also try to keep it seeded via BT when I have access to broadband, but that's not often on weekends Sad.]

On an unrelated note, I hope everyone going to WWDC has a great experience and that more developer-recruits beat a path to the OOo/NeoJ booth door Smile

Smokey
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.2 Final!

OPENSTEP wrote:
OK, I finished the edits to the README and put together the "final" installer.
- Fix typo in "Third party" directory readme.

I'm starting testing of the Final version (although IMHO, Final versions become BEFORE GM versions), and I was a little disappointed you didn't take the rewritten Third-Party Readme I sent you via EMail a few days ago. Crying or Very sad

The biggest problem I am having at the moment is the Installer Font Conversion script - it is currently stuck moving the (non-zero size) "opens___.ttf" font file (OpenSymbol I guess). I can't see why a "mv" operation would be stuck. I am running Mac OS X 10.3.x on a Dual CPU G4 system. I believe I have sufficent disk space.

I looked in the console.log and system.log, and found the following :

(a) there some memory corruption going on (malloc library debugging) - I'm not sure which application is doing this - I previously installed NeoOffice/J v0.8.4.

(b) localhost kernel: resize: max chain len 19, new table size 8192

Any idea what that means?

I guess I will kill the offending process(es). This problem is one we will probably have to deal with in a FAQ.

More later.

Regards, Terry
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.2 Final!

Terry Teague wrote:
(a) there some memory corruption going on (malloc library debugging) - I'm not sure which application is doing this - I previously installed NeoOffice/J v0.8.4.

FYI. You will see one of these in the Console log when NeoJ 0.8.x shuts down.

Patrick
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.2 Final!

Terry Teague wrote:
The biggest problem I am having at the moment is the Installer Font Conversion script - it is currently stuck moving the (non-zero size) "opens___.ttf" font file (OpenSymbol I guess). I can't see why a "mv" operation would be stuck. I am running Mac OS X 10.3.x on a Dual CPU G4 system. I believe I have sufficent disk space.

Silly me, I should have figured it out earlier. Five minutes after writing my original post, I did a "sample" of the offending process, and it became obvious what the problem (not necessarily the root cause) was :

The "mv" process appeared to have hung, because it was prompting the user (me) for a y/n answer, which was never going to come (since the prompt text never appeared, due to the way the shell commands were executed).

In my particular case, the "mv" is across filesystems (which is equivalent to a "rm"/"cp" operation). I don't (obviously) know what "mv" was prompting me for, but it was probably a permissions issue. See 'man mv' for details.

I suspect this problem might be what some of us see from time to time when installing OOo using the IA Installer, and the "convert_lucida.sh" script is bring run at the end of the installation.

I don't know what the correct solution is to the problem - is it something that users should be instructed to do manually before installation, or should the "convert_lucida.sh" script take additional steps to avoid the "mv" command from prompting the user?

For a workaround, requires the user to be capable of typing shell commands into a Terminal window. Someone can probably pretty-up these instructions :

1) ps ax
2) Find the process (pid) doing the "mv" that is currently stuck.
3) sudo kill -9 pid

And the font conversion will apparently continue. The affected font won't be copied (moved).

Regards, Terry
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject:

Terry,

I suspect that Ed's scripts are not Bourne or Bash shell. If I am correct, then his scripts are picking up your shell's aliases and you probably have "mv" aliased to "mv -i".

The best long run solution is to run these commands in a script that uses /bin/sh as its shell and to use "mv -f" so that any failures are silent ignored.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject:

Yes, it is not doing an mv -f which should be fixed. I guess we should note this as a problem in the online readme. I may have never seen it in my testing as I didn't do too much checking with installing on different partitions from my main partition. Bleh. It's probably too late to fix it now and get it to the mirrors by Monday Sad

Sorry the torrent didn't work...I wasn't sure if the cable modem here would allow it or not. I'm fixing it now so it should be up on torrent and neo FTP in a few minutes, but it is the same as is on the mirror network if you've gotten it from there already.

ed
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: OOo 1.1.2 Final!

(1) Installing Tech Previews created the directories: /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2
~/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org1.1.2

Question 1: What do I do with these before installing OOo 1.1.2 Final?

(2) I placed them on the Desktop and tried to install OOo 1.1.2 Final.

The installation hung at «convert_lucida.sh».

I then used «Force Quit».

A directory «/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2» had been created.
It did not contain an «/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/user» directory.

I trashed the new installation and replaced my TP4 directories.
All works well.

Question 2: If I want to install OOo 1.1.2 Final should I wait for a new installer or try a work-around?

Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Font conversion

pluby wrote:
Terry,

I suspect that Ed's scripts are not Bourne or Bash shell. If I am correct, then his scripts are picking up your shell's aliases and you probably have "mv" aliased to "mv -i".

The best long run solution is to run these commands in a script that uses /bin/sh as its shell and to use "mv -f" so that any failures are silent ignored.

Patrick

Just to follow-up - Ed's scripts use #!/bin/sh, and I don't have any aliases for "mv" (unless that is default for Panther - I'm not booted into Panther at the moment). The IA installer launches these helper scripts in an "interesting" way.

FYI, I checked "Start OpenOffice.org" to see what it did - it changes directory to the OOo truetype font directory, and lets "fondu" do all the hard work, given a source font file path.

Regards, Terry
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.2 Final!

amaloney wrote:
(1) Installing Tech Previews created the directories: /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2

[installing Final...]

First, putting your TP /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2 folder aside allowed you to put it back and continue running the TP; had you not done this, it would have been overwritten.

Second, the folder structures of the 1.1.2 TPs and 1.1.2 Final are different.

/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2 from Final does not contain a user folder; the only things you might have been missing were the Install.log and the Uninstall folder (there are 13 total items in Final's /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2 folder). Aside from the font conversion (which probably was done/almost done) and the other two minor items, your Final install was complete and would have been functional.

Final's "preferences" folder is ~/Library/Preferences/OpenOffice.org1.1.2 rather than the ~/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org1.1.2 of the TPs.

I think you can replace the ~/Library/Preferences/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/user folder with the ~/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/user folder from the TPs after a first launch of Final and retain all of your settings, FontOOo fonts, etc., but I've tested too many versions since then and don't have a TP prefs folder still around to verify there are no symlinks/differences in there.

amaloney wrote:
Question 2: If I want to install OOo 1.1.2 Final should I wait for a new installer or try a work-around?

I can't speak as to whether a new installer will be forthcoming, but you should be able to use the version Final installs; you may have to manually convert any missing fonts (or drop them on Start OpenOffice.org). This was the case for me (and others) when we ran into this problem earlier in testing (incidentally, I think everyone thought that problem had been solved, but obviously there are still some variables at play that didn't show up in the testing setups).

Smokey
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.2 Final!

amaloney wrote:

Is there anything you want to keep from that installation? I treat the TechPreviews as beta tests - it is sort of expected you may have to use the command line, and you may have throw away the installations when a Final/GM version comes along. Personally, I just trash those 2 folders, and edit or move aside my ~/.sversionrc file as needed to remove any references to old versions. If you need to keep stuff from those installations, I can't really help.

amaloney wrote:
(2) The installation hung at «convert_lucida.sh».

I then used «Force Quit».

I trashed the new installation and replaced my TP4 directories.
All works well.

The "user" directory gets created when you first launch OOo for the particular user. So you probably actually had a good installation, but didn't realize it.

I suggest you might want to try a workaround. One workaround for the font conversion problem is one I described earlier in this forum. Another would be to set up a shell (login) environment that aliases "mv" to "mv -f" - there are multiple ways to do this, but you probably only want to do this on a temporary basis. The following might work, but it is untested :

From a Terminal window (assuming you have the "ooo112_osx_final.dmg" disk image mounted):

alias mv "mv -f"
open /Volumes/OOo\ 1.1.2\ X11/Install_OpenOffice.org1.1.2

Regards, Terry
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.2 Final!

Just another little installer quirk I discovered. I was looking at my OOo 1.1.2Final Installation (on Panther) log :

Code:
Install File:             /private/tmp/0/Cleanup At Startup/org.OpenOffice.Start.plist.applex11.panther.plist

Move File:                Destination: /Users/terry/Library/Preferences/org.OpenOffice.Start.plist.applex11.panther.plist
                          Additional Notes: WARNING - /Users/terry/Library/Preferences/org.OpenOffice.Start.plistcan not be overwritten

Because of the minor formatting bug in the error message Wink , I wasn't sure if "org.OpenOffice.Start.plist.applex11.panther.plist" was a real file or just another formatting problem.

So I investigated (fortunately I had rebooted into a different version of Mac OS X, so the file, which normally would have been removed on reboot, was still there Wink ).

There was probably a small communication breakdown between Ed and myself - the "org.OpenOffice.Start.plist" file that gets installed by the Installer on a fresh install, doesn't quite have the format of that of the "org.OpenOffice.Start.plist" file created by the current "Start OpenOffice.org" v1.0b9.

The 2 differences are :

("ooo112_osx_final" Installer)
Code:
   <key>directps</key>
   <false/>

("Start OpenOffice.org" v1.0b9)
Code:
   <key>directps</key>
   <true/>
   <key>module</key>
   <string>soffice</string>

Fortunately I believe (but not verified) "Start OpenOffice.org" will do the right thing, and will update the preferences file with the right values, when necessary.

I haven't checked the case for installing on Jaguar.

Regards, Terry
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Smokey & Terry

I ran

alias mv="mv -f"
open /Volumes/OOo\ 1.1.2\ X11/Install_OpenOffice.org1.1.2

The installation still hung on the «convert_lucida.sh»
So, I used the kill suggestion and got the 13 items in the OpenOffice.org1.1.2 directory.

The program runs well.

New problem (?feature) - Each time I close, then run, Start OpenOffice.org it asks me for the installation directory. I have set the preferences and this activity still takes place.

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject:

I posted a note in the Installing FAQ regarding the use of mv and installing on different filesystems. Hopefully it won't inconvienence things too much. IA does launch its scripts in interesting ways and with interesting values of PATH. Usually I try to fully qualify all the paths I used, but I guess I missed the mv while moving it over to xargs to work around the line length restriction. Bleh. Having mistakes is just frustrating Shocked.

Some folks have already reported crashes, so we may have to move ahead to making a bugfix 1.1.3 sooner then I wanted Evil or Very Mad

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Start OpenOffice.org and OOo 1.1.2 Final

amaloney wrote:
New problem (?feature) - Each time I close, then run, Start OpenOffice.org it asks me for the installation directory. I have set the preferences and this activity still takes place.

What exactly do you mean by "close, then run"? To make the preferences permanent, it is recommended that you quit at least "Start OpenOffice.org" after making such preferences changes.

If you still have problems, paste here the results of the following 2 commands you should enter in a Terminal window :

cat ~/.sversionrc
defaults read org.OpenOffice.Start

Regards, Terry
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2