· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Installer FAQ for problems installing 1.1.2
Installer FAQ for problems installing 1.1.2

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Installer FAQ for problems installing 1.1.2

Now that 1.1.2 is officially relased, on comes the onslaught of questions and end users with problems! I put together a list of problems that were found with the ZeroG IA based installer (ooo112_osx_final.dmg.bz2) during its testing process. This FAQ can be accessed from the following link:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=6&categories=Installing+OpenOffice.org+1.1.2

or by clicking on the "FAQ" link on the left edge of the screen.

Please use this topic for posting more suggestions of things to add to the FAQ and I'll get on them when I have time. PM me if you're interested in being a "FAQ maintainer" Smile

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject:

1. Installer crashes at splash screen topic: do you think the various "if a font has not been converted, you must do so manually" notes in the Readme are sufficient to not a require an addendum to this work-around (install as another user) noting that fonts in one's normal user ~/Library/Fonts will need to be converted manually?

2. Is there a need for a "Some of my fonts are not found in OOo" topic? If there is, I nominate "Fonts in the Classic System Folder will need to be converted manually" and "Mac PostScript fonts not supported" as additions to said topic, as neither are mentioned in the readme.

3. Upgrading from1.0.3 topic. It is not possible, as far as I can tell, to preserve settings from 1.0.3. I tried copying/renaming 1.0.3 settings and, even after a first run, they kept being "overwritten" by blank 1.1.2 settings (I perused the ~/Library/Preferences/<OOo settings>/user hierarchy and the structure, particularly of the files that I thought were pref settings, was very different between the two versions.

Smokey
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:00 am    Post subject:

OK, I removed the bit about the settings and added in the "lost font" issue. The readme has the fondu instructions in the known issues section, I think, but it's definitely not in its own section.

ed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Installer FAQ for problems installing 1.1.2

OPENSTEP wrote:
Now that 1.1.2 is officially relased, on comes the onslaught of questions and end users with problems! I put together a list of problems that were found with the ZeroG IA based installer (ooo112_osx_final.dmg.bz2) during its testing process. This FAQ can be accessed from the following link:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=FAQ&myfaq=yes&id_cat=6&categories=Installing+OpenOffice.org+1.1.2

Please use this topic for posting more suggestions of things to add to the FAQ and I'll get on them when I have time. PM me if you're interested in being a "FAQ maintainer" Smile

ed

I thought the FAQ already contained information about the hang on converting fonts during installation, but apparently not. I will add the information here for the moment.

While installing OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 Final, one of the last things the Installer does is convert any System fonts to a format suitable for use by OpenOffice.org. This conversion is done by a shell script called "convert_lucida.sh", and uses the "fondu" tool to do the conversion, and the "mv" command to move the converted fonts into the correct location in your OpenOffice.org installation folder.

In some cases, it can appear that this stage of the Installer hangs. Depending on the number of fonts to be converted, you might want to wait longer before deciding the Installer has truely hung.

If you are not comfortable with using the Terminal application to enter shell commands, your only recourse is to Force Quit (using Command-Option-ESC or from the Dock popup menu for the Installer) the Installer. The actual installation should be OK, but not all of the converted fonts will have been copied - you can fix this at a later date by using "Start OpenOffice.org" to convert the fonts for you.

However, if you are comfortable with using the Terminal application to enter shell commands, you can check for yourself if the Installer has hung. Enter the following command :

ps ax

Hopefully near the bottom of the display, will be something that looks like the following :

Code:
 651  ??  S      7:57.87 /Volumes/OOo 1.1.2 X11/MacOSX/Install_OpenOffice.org1
 8210  ??  S      0:00.01 /bin/sh -x /tmp/cbe.d4b3b24ffd63f5ceb6
 8212  ??  S      0:00.01 sh /Volumes/MoreApps/OOo_1.1.2final/OpenOffice.org1.1
 8625  ??  S      0:00.12 /usr/bin/find . -name *.ttf -not -size 0 -exec /bin/m
 8731  ??  S      0:00.01 /bin/mv ./opens___.ttf /Volumes/MoreApps/OOo_1.1.2fin

Using the above as an example, if the name of the font currently being moved ("./opens___.ttf") doesn't change each time you do the "ps ax" command (at suitable intervals), then the Installation has hung.

Specifically what is happening is the "bin/mv" command (process ID 8731) is prompting the user to enter a yes/no answer to a question, and the answer is never going to come.

To continue the installation, you need to "kill" the offending process, by entering the following command in Terminal :

sudo kill -9 8731

(where 8731 is the process ID of the offending process in this example)

This converted font won't be copied, but installation will continue.

There are other possible solutions and workarounds for the problem, but I believe the above is the most straight-forward.

Regards, Terry
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject:

Terry - thanks for the very detailed information on the workaround Smile I put an entry into the FAQ and linked to your instructions. It's just bizarre that I never encountered this in my testing...sniff Sad

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Terry - thanks for the very detailed information on the workaround Smile

Isecond that; good to know for future reference/testing.

OPENSTEP wrote:
It's just bizarre that I never encountered this in my testing...sniff Sad

Not that it's not already obvious, but there are far too few testers/configurations Sad I wonder if it might be possible in future testing to contact some of the people who have posted with problems in the forums and see if they might do a couple of tests to see if problems occur/persist in their setups?

Smokey
jteam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Installer

Was going to give this a try when I ran into the installer crash bug. I tried the new user tip but no joy.

You mention that I could try a Panther or X11 installer but, for the life of me, I can't find where either of those might be.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject:

It looks like Kevin may not have uploaded them onto the OOo mirror network. You may want to ping him directly to see when he's uploading them (if I didn't unintentionally piss him off... Embarassed)

ed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:27 am    Post subject: For Newbies from a Newby

I've been using Openoffice.org on my PC for a couple of years and been very happy with it. So when I got my Panther iBook last week I decided to give 1.0.x a go.

Perhaps I should have taken more notice of the warnings, given that all I know about Unix is that I know nothing about Unix. But, cocky as ever, I plugged on.

It's taken me over a week of sporadic work to get things working (and OOO has gone to 1.1.x while I've been trying). So, to help others who might be in the same position as myself I'd make the following suggestions:

1. Use the Apple X11. It's on the install CDs and available from the Apple web site - a 40MB download, but ooo is over 100MB.
[Reasons: the XDarwin/OrobourosX set up doesn't seem to like Panther. I thought I had things licked when I found out about the USA keymapping issue, but Panther doesn't have the right folders for the keymapping files. There were all sorts of suggestions for fixing XDarwin, but I couldn't face downloading 12 tarballs (what?) and getting them all in the right place and still not having it work]

2. If the installation hangs right at the end, when converting fonts, kill the process and get on with using the software. The rest of the install should be OK and ooo should work fine.
[Reasons: I don't pretend to know, but from other posts that seems to be how it goes.]

3. Consider using NeoOffice/J.
[Reasons: a lot less trouble to install, doesn't need the X windows stuff, uses all your Mac fonts without the need to convert them. And, subjectively, looks nicer on my Mac.]

I'm up and running now, and maybe a little less newby than I was (I found out how Console works, and a little bit about XWindows). Hope that helps someone.

Huw
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Installer FAQ for problems installing 1.1.2

OPENSTEP wrote:

ed

Here is another one for the FAQ :

The standard filesystem format used by Mac OS X is "Mac OS Extended" (HFS+) or "Mac OS Journaled". However it is possible to reformat your hard drive to use other filesystem formats, such as the "UNIX File System" (UFS). Apple does not recommend the use of UFS, since there are some issues, particularly the Classic environment will not work with UFS.

The "OpenOffice.org for Mac OS X" v1.1.2 Installer will happily allow you to install "OpenOffice.org for Mac OS X" v1.1.2 onto a UFS formatted volume, BUT there will be an immediate problem that you will run into if you attempt to use "Start OpenOffice.org" to launch "OpenOffice.org" (the application will silently quit, and error messages will be written to the "console.log" - another clue to the problem is that the "Start OpenOffice.org" application will have a generic icon in Finder).

Fortunately the fix is quite simple - from the "OpenOffice.org for Mac OS X" v1.1.2 installation disk image, in the "Third-Party Software" folder, you will find the complete "Start OpenOffice.org" installation disk image - mount this disk image, and using Finder, copy a fresh copy of the "Start OpenOffice.org" application to the "OpenOffice.org for Mac OS X" v1.1.2 installation folder on the UFS volume, or elsewhere.

Regards, Terry
Aet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Works

Thank you guys very much Very Happy , installation did indeed hang at that script and killing the offending PID allowed installation to finish gracefully (sans font conversion of course, which will be done next).

Marc's helpful tip page (at http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/docs/openoffice-mac/, which was pointed out to me on the Mac OS X Hints forum at http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040715064137204) walked me through step by step, and pointed me here when arriving at the convert_lucida.sh problem.
Reganto
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Keyboard layout under Jaguar

After a standard installation under Jaguar (without Developer Tools having previously been installed), it appears that OpenOffice and XDarwin decide without user input which keyboard layout to use, and if it isn't the one you want it isn't obvious how to change it.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Under X11 on Jaguar you need to specify the keymapping mapping under XDarwin > Preferences. The automatic detection of keyboard layout only functions for Apple X11 under Panther. It may be possible that XFree86 4.4 supports automatic keyboard detection under Jaguar, but I've never tried it myself.

ed
Bryan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: ZeroG problem/Panther only installer

I also can't get the installer to work. In June, you said that ZeroG is working on the problem. Have they made any progress? They don't want to talk to me because I'm an end user, not a developer. Also, I would love to give the Panther only installer a try (as mentioned in the FAQ), except I can't seem to find it anywhere and I have no idea who "Kevin" is. I would really like to use open office, since I have no real office program on my Mac, and this installer problem is a big pain. I would much rather run a series of command line scripts to install open office rather than depend on a buggy and poorly supported installer from ZeroG. Anyway - any recommendations?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject:

Assuming you've tried all the options mentioned in the FAQ, there are four additional options:

1) Somewhere (at OOoDocs.org) Terry Teague posted instructions on rebuilding the java shared archive, a corrupt one of which ZeroG claims is the cause of the installer crash,

2) The last "Tech Preview" 10.3-only installer (aka Kevin's build), which dates from 24 May and IIRC is missing a number of crashing and other fixes that are in ooo112final_osx_final.dmg.bz2, and which is "unsupported" if you have issues (those of us here who try to support OOo 1.1.2 don't have that build installed and don't have the experience/didn't do the extensive testing on it that we did with the official build),

3) If you speak French, German, or perhaps Japanese, a localized 10.3-only build available from the language's OOo homepage (e.g. fr.openoffice.org), which will be as current as the official build (or moreso) but also unsupported in these fora for the same reasons as the Tech Preview, or

4) Use NeoOffice/J 1.1 instead, which, while currently in Alpha 2, is just about as stable as OOo 1.1.2 X11, soon to be officially "Beta", and has better OS X integration and native (Aqua) menus (and is certainly better than having no office suite at all Smile), and is supported by a decent-sized community (and its devs) in the NeoOffice/J fora here.

Ed or Terry might have more options/technical troubleshooting ideas (and possibly a pointer to a tarball you could install via the command line), but otherwise these are the best options for getting a useable OOo 1.1.2 implementation on your Mac.

Hope this helps,
Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2