· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Asshat.
Asshat.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fabriziovenerandi
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:31 am    Post subject:

my point of view: neooffice is *today* the aqua porting of openoffice.org office suite. it works and I can use it to every day work. it has limits, 'cause apple's java has limits. but I can use it now for my office work.

the aqua openoffice.org actually does not exist and, looking the roadmap, I can not use it for an everyday working until 2008.
to be honest: if 1 january 2008 there will be a stable openoffice.org, faster and less memory usage than neooffice, 2 january 2008 I'll use openoffice.org aqua for my work.

openoffice and neooffice are not my girlfriend, I use this software (that I like) for my office work and if a porting is better than another I'll use the better. openoffice and neooffice are tools for me. When I can, I'll support and help the development of those software, but I'm a user, not a programmer. I have a job to do, and is not related to openoffice or neooffice coding or ranting.

f.

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject:

Baggypants wrote:
Pavels new logo post did make me snort tea out of my nose though.

http://blog.janik.cz/archives/2007/04/01/T00_00_38/

Pavel Janík wrote:
No gulls, a sea motive is still present there though.

Looks like the ship theme means "office suite" on the Mac Smile
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject:

fabriziovenerandi wrote:
my point of view: neooffice is *today* the aqua porting of openoffice.org office suite. it works and I can use it to every day work. it has limits, 'cause apple's java has limits. but I can use it now for my office work.

the aqua openoffice.org actually does not exist and, looking the roadmap, I can not use it for an everyday working until 2008.
to be honest: if 1 january 2008 there will be a stable openoffice.org, faster and less memory usage than neooffice, 2 january 2008 I'll use openoffice.org aqua for my work.

openoffice and neooffice are not my girlfriend, I use this software (that I like) for my office work and if a porting is better than another I'll use the better. openoffice and neooffice are tools for me. When I can, I'll support and help the development of those software, but I'm a user, not a programmer. I have a job to do, and is not related to openoffice or neooffice coding or ranting.

f.

I quote this all.
Bravo Fabrizio!

Valter
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:22 am    Post subject:

Baggypants wrote:
http://blog.janik.cz/archives/2007/04/01/T00_00_38/

Don't understand why this ship smell as fish.

And hey, guys, don't you think that a ship already sails? and that one seems to be not yet launched?

Valter
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject:

Yeah, and 'theirs' runs on irreplaceable fossil fuels - but 'ours' runs on wind! Cool - splice the mainbrace...
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject:

Philip ( waits and sees what happens. In hindsight this will all be quite ... funny?!? Rolling Eyes )
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject:

fabriziovenerandi wrote:

openoffice and neooffice are not my girlfriend

of course not, neooffice is the boy! and openoffice.org is still too hung up over her ex to be dating ANYONE yet.

-j, the typesetter ninja
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Shouldn't NeoOffice be the girl since Neo is the really pretty one? Razz
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: April Fools

It has aways seemed to me that the real test of someon'e proficiency in another language is whether they can make jokes successfully in that language. And I say so, as someone who is very poor and getting poorer in his second language [Italian], and would never crack jokes in it. To do so, one needs to understand not only the words, but the culture and the cultural nuances involved in the words.

That's why pictures often translate better than words. So, valter's non-leaning tower of Pisa here is a good joke in any language. I suspect likewise that Pavel's "ship" is a not-bad April Fool's joke. I appreciate it, quite droll. In fact, it would have been better for Pavel had he stopped there. Using his non-preferred language tripped him up, I suspect because Czech humour may be more heavy-handed than English/US humour. I am happy to cut him some slack because he tried to inject some levity into a fairly difficult situation.

Peter
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: April Fools

aussie149 wrote:
It has aways seemed to me that the real test of someon'e proficiency in another language is whether they can make jokes successfully in that language. <snip> To do so, one needs to understand not only the words, but the culture and the cultural nuances involved in the words.

I suspect likewise that Pavel's "ship" is a not-bad April Fool's joke. I appreciate it, quite droll. In fact, it would have been better for Pavel had he stopped there.

Using his non-preferred language tripped him up, I suspect because Czech humour may be more heavy-handed than English/US humour.

I am happy to cut him some slack because he tried to inject some levity into a fairly difficult situation.

Peter
Ditto. On Trinity Forums - it would have been a ... RANT. Rolling Eyes
Say, Does that ship look like ... the RMS Titanic? Shocked

I have felt about the same - at times.

Philip ( Who said: "A plaque on both your houses?" Wink )

\. or, if you prefer "A plague on both your houses?" Sad
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
Shouldn't NeoOffice be the girl since Neo is the really pretty one? Razz

That would make OOo X11 the pre-op trans-exual - pick a version, whatever floats your boat Smile

- padmavyuha
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject:

NO!!! neooffice is the boy! openoffice.org is the girl!
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject:

At least I don't use April Fool's as an excuse to front fake PR posing as a competitor to poison RSS feeds.

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject:

Chill out, Ed Razz.

Given the sheer volume of off-topic stuff going on around April 1st and in our community in general, it wasn't such a big deal.

While it was not exactly an elegant joke, it did bring out quite a bit of residual wreckage that mostly deserves to be cleaned out and buried permanently.

Neither pouncing or smugness are a good coverup for insecurity, and feelings of insecurity are entirely unjustified by now. Regardless of the tribulations of the past, Neo has grown in quality and in size of community, praise and userbase (exponentially). With that in mind, any just breathe and let any negative thoughts roll off your back like water off a duck.

I wish the OOo guys all the best. I would think a lot of the stuff they propose in terms of rationalizing the interface and timers will benefit the structure of the application in general, which will ultimately also benefit to the development of NeoOffice (if done properly). Patrick is surely not the only one suffering from frequent windows-centered 'optimizations'. And keeping in mind earlier experiences with pushing such reforms through on a massive codebase, they will need all the strength they can muster.

Theirs is not an easy position, stuck between a codebase and review process that does not favour them, and a competitor that has left them in the dust for now. The civil thing would be to treat them with consideration (though Eric Bachard may still be in need of swift correction, if he lashes out beyond the borders of civilised discourse like he used to).

Best wishes on a bright spring day,
Oscar

P.S. I thought gender roles for all actors were already defined in the play.

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Ranting All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2