· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Fonts and Toolbar Buttons
Fonts and Toolbar Buttons

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cvol2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Fonts and Toolbar Buttons

Hello,

Amazing work on the Aquafication of OpenOffice. Already you've made great strides!

One change that I think should be implemented is using Lucida Grande as the default font for the user interface. Currently it appears to be using Arial (or Helvetica, it's so hard to distinguish between the two). Using Lucida Grande would without doubt add to the Mac look and increase polish.

Also congratulations on the new toolbar icons, however the bevel that is applied to this icons (on hover, select, etc.) is not very "aqua-y" as I'm sure you are already aware. The new smooth metal applications, as NeoOffice is apparently striving to be, don't bevel toolbar icons on hover, they leave the icons the same. When an icon is selected, it simply darkens. At least this is my experience - I'm not a GUI expert. Check Firefox for a sample!

Again, props on the release, it's a huge step forward for NeoOffice and the open source community in general!

Chris
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fonts and Toolbar Buttons

cvol2 wrote:
One change that I think should be implemented is using Lucida Grande as the default font for the user interface. Currently it appears to be using Arial (or Helvetica, it's so hard to distinguish between the two). Using Lucida Grande would without doubt add to the Mac look and increase polish.

There are several other threads on this; one of the big problems is that Lucida Grande looks great at the sizes Apple chose for the OS, but at other point sizes (such as those used by OOo), it looks awful. Sad

cvol2 wrote:
Also congratulations on the new toolbar icons, however the bevel that is applied to this icons (on hover, select, etc.) is not very "aqua-y" as I'm sure you are already aware.

It's an Aqua bevel button. Granted you don't see bevel buttons very often anymore in Aqua, but they're real Aqua widgets.

cvol2 wrote:
The new smooth metal applications, as NeoOffice is apparently striving to be, don't bevel toolbar icons on hover, they leave the icons the same. When an icon is selected, it simply darkens. At least this is my experience - I'm not a GUI expert. Check Firefox for a sample!

I think it'd be hard to argue that NeoOffice is trying to emulate the latest "metal look-du-jour" from Apple, given the preponderance of Aqua widgets Wink

And please, please don't ever use Firefox as an example of an app trying to comply with the Aqua look-and-feel or the HIG. Firefox development only pays as little lip service as possible to them, and the UI leads WONTFIXed bugs filed by Firefox's Mac developers about the massive un-Mac-like appearance and behavior of the Firefox 2 Mac theme.... Evil or Very Mad (Sorry, this is a very sore spot for me, and not just because Camino gets things right Wink)

Smokey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Understandable about Firefox, however Camino does it as well so yea.

I see no reason why font sizes can't be changed (I'm not a developer though - it's easy for me to say something like that!). It's just a small change that I think would have a dramatic impact on the app.
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to NeoOffice cvol2,

You are welcome to change this font yourself. Search the forums for "Lucida Grande".
It looks OK, some of the time. Rolling Eyes
Program changes often take much more time, and effort, then expected.
Seems that nothing is ever as easy as it seems. Wink

Hope that NeoOffice is as useful to you as it has been to others.
There are many options that you can customize. Feel free to explore.

Philip ( So many options, so little time! Wink )

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1