Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - SpellCheck doesn't work!!
SpellCheck doesn't work!!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RodL
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: SpellCheck doesn't work!!

This is driving me nuts... i've read relevant posts on this topic but they don't help...

I've set my Language in Language Settings as English(USA) and I want spell check for English.

1. It works when I opened NeoOffice for the first time.
2. It doesn't work anymore for later runs. I typed crap in the doc seeing no red lines, I clicked spellcheck and said yes to check from the beginning it said spellcheck completed ignoring the trash words I typed.
3. I opened a new document and the spellcheck worked for the new one...

Appreciate your kind help...

mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, I can't reproduce this behavior. I typed: "alkdj lkgj lksdei aldgj" and got red lines under it all

I'm on MBP Intel; OSX 10.4.9; Java 1.5.0_07

Langauge is set to English USA in both the program and spellcheck section.

Have you read the NeoWiki?
http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Main_Page

more item specific:
http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Activating_Dictionaries_and_Configuring_Spellcheck

So if you open a file and it works, then you open some more new Writer files and the ability to spellcheck goes away? How many Writer files do you have open at one time? Have you rebooted your system lately? Or just restarted NeoOffice?
RodL
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject:

I read the NeoWiki pages... they dont help much if both my interface and default lang for docs are english (usa), do they?

My java version is the same as yours.

The spellcheck works fine when I open a new writer file.. but it doesnt with an existing .doc file, previously edited in OpenOffice. Actually I tried opening a new doc file... then i typed trash in it, saved it, closed it. When I opened it again the spellcheck still worked! Maybe it's the OpenOffice?

mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure if this could even be a preferences issues; as you say your system is set to default. However, some posters have had conflicts when upgrading from NeoO2AB3patch15 and they moved or renamed preferences - I forget which. Then restarted.

However...
Can you clarify the file sequence.

I understand it as; you received a file that was created as an MS .doc file, that had then been edited in OpenOffice.org (and it's still saved as .doc) and now you've gone and opened it in NeoOffice.

Does this happen with all such files or just one in particular?

What happens when you open the file and do a "Save As" and keep it as a .doc file or "Save As" as an .odt file - do you still have the same issues?
RodL
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:24 am    Post subject:

Thanks for your follow up mickeyinlalaland.

mickeyinlalaland wrote:

I understand it as; you received a file that was created as an MS .doc file, that had then been edited in OpenOffice.org (and it's still saved as .doc) and now you've gone and opened it in NeoOffice.

Correct.
mickeyinlalaland wrote:

Does this happen with all such files or just one in particular?

All.
mickeyinlalaland wrote:

What happens when you open the file and do a "Save As" and keep it as a .doc file or "Save As" as an .odt file - do you still have the same issues?

Still didn't work.

Basically the spellcheck only works with the newly created files.

rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:32 am    Post subject:

In your .doc file example where no spell-checking is happening, if you select some text in a typical paragraph of text and select NeoOffice menu item Format>Character>Font tab, which language is currently shown in the Language selector in the lower half of that window below the font selections?
RodL
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject:

Ray: Nothing...

so I select the whole doc and change the Language option to English(US), all the red lines are showing up! Wow~ Thanks! All NeoOffice users should know about this... Thanks Ray!

rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject:

You may like to consider making a donation to the project to help meet the costs of keeping these forums alive and kickin'... so we can continue to help others.

Just click!

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject:

rays wrote:
In your .doc file example where no spell-checking is happening, if you select some text in a typical paragraph of text and select NeoOffice menu item Format>Character>Font tab, which language is currently shown in the Language selector in the lower half of that window below the font selections?

We need to add this to the wiki. I remember long ago fielding a bug about a document with some pasted section that wouldn't spellchek, but I wasn't aware all/most/a good number of Word documents don't get a language set....

You can also force the language of a given document via the prefs; I'm not sure which is easier, that or the "select all and Format..." method....

Smokey

Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject:

I've added relevant tips to "Tips to add to wiki forum"
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1