· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Arabic and Persian with OO on Mac
Arabic and Persian with OO on Mac

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Arabic and Persian with OO on Mac

Hi, i know from other platforms, that they are able to write Arabic and Persian with Openoffice. So i was happy when installed the App on my mac and when satrtet to write i was disappointed, becouse it was not possible to type in that langueges. It seems to me, that the app can not work with Arabic and Persian Keyboard. Is that true? Is it possible to fix that problem?
Thanks ali
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:50 am    Post subject:

Most likely custom work will need to be done to support the Arabic locales. Check the mailing list archives for the dev@porting mailing list. There's been a bit of activity recently about finding the correct locales for foreign languages. 1.1.x does support RTL so it should be possible, unlike previous versions.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Marhaba, Ali!

I will note that Arabic does work in 1.1.2 when the system language/locale are set to English/United States, at least under 10.3.4. There are, however, a couple of issues even with this: cmd-space to switch languages/keyboards does not work (do this manually via the input menu if you have more than one language/keyboard installed) and cmd-/ctrl-key shortcuts also don't work. (If you use a layout that has dead-keys, like Arabic-QWERTY, the dead keys also won't work.)

Based on Ed's post, if your system language/locale is different, it seems all bets are off and I didn't know/think to test those variations. Sad

(Ed, if you read this, I'm not sure how I missed the cmd/ctrl-keys not working; is it possible that it crept into the Final build?)

Best,
Smokey
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject:

As a follow-up: I just created a new user, set its language to Arabic and location to Egypt, and OOo behaved exactly as it did for me under my normal user, with the exception of the progress bar on the splashscreen being RTL (cool!) and defaulting to RTL in a new document. In other words, it worked fine for writing Arabic, with the caveats mentioned above....

(The Finder, System Prefs, and Safari didn't display menus, etc., in Arabic, other than the date, though, even after a logout.... I'd think they would have localized menus, no?)

The only way we're going to be able to test for a "localized" version of the OS is to have a localized version of the OS, I guess; I can't reproduce any additional problems with a US/English Mac masquerading as an Arabic one Sad

Smokey
ali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject:

thanks for your helps, i tried what you said and it works. But there are lots of Bugs. For example when i try to mix RTL with LTR texts, or when i´m writing and wnts to add a dot at the end of a line, the dot jumps to the begining of the line.
ali

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject:

Sorry it was my fault. I forgot to press the RTL Button!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1