Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Networking OOo 1.1.2 [Tech Preview 3]
Networking OOo 1.1.2 [Tech Preview 3]

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Networking OOo 1.1.2 [Tech Preview 3]

I have OOo_Tech_Preview3 installed on each of two computers running OS X 10.3.3 connected through Ethernet via a router.

(1) Server-Client issue
I would now like to make one computer a server for OOo and the other a client so that changes made in templates and documents on the server can be used on the client.

Can I convert the installations to achieve this?
If so, how?

The installer has created two sites for me:
/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2 and
~/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org1.1.2

My templates are stored in
~/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/user/template

(2) Font issue
My fonts are stored in two sites:
/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/share/fonts/truetype
~/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/user/fonts

Should the fonts be stored in one directory (it seems logical to do so)?
If so, which one?

If I create new clients, do the same fonts have to be installed in each client directory?

(3) Client creation
To create a client on a third virgin machine do I need to install OOo 1.0.3 first, then OOo_Tech_Preview3?

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Networking OOo 1.1.2 [Tech Preview 3]

Hi,

> (1) Server-Client issue
> I would now like to make one computer a server for OOo and the other > a client so that changes made in templates and documents on the
> server can be used on the client.

I am not sure I understand exactly what you mean. There are many ways to set up OOo that people might refere to as client server.

For example, you can run an instance of OOo as a demon on one machine (ie. a server) and via sockets/ports have it translate documents, do conversions, and etc. The OOo SDK has examples of using Basic, Java, and C++ to control the server.

As another exmple, since this is an X11 build, you can simply run OOo remotely from one machine (no need to actually install it on the other machine) and even set up nfs file shares so that files will easily be shared with the remote machine.

As a third example, you should be able to share that Application out via Appleshare to another Mac and then run it from there.

So please be more specific aobut what you mean by server/client.

> The installer has created two sites for me:
> /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2 and
> ~/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org1.1.2

Yes, the first one is the Application itself (shared across all users) where shared dictionaries, shared fonts, etc are stored. The second is where **user specific** config dictionaries files fonts, etc are stored (each user will have their own version of this)

> (2) Font issue
> My fonts are stored in two sites:
> /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/share/fonts/truetype
> ~/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/user/fonts
>
> Should the fonts be stored in one directory (it seems logical to do so)?
> If so, which one?

Fonts to be shared across users should be installed in /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/share/fonts/truetype. Fonts specific to one user should be stored in ~/Library/Applciation Support/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/user/fonts/.

> If I create new clients, do the same fonts have to be installed in each
> client directory?

No, simply install the fonts in the share/font/truetype/ location and they will be available for all users of this version.

> (3) Client creation
> To create a client on a third virgin machine do I need to install OOo
> 1.0.3 first, then OOo_Tech_Preview3?[/quote]

Two things:

1. You never have to install OOo 1.0.3 on any Panther machine. You only need those pieces on a Jaguar machine. Everything for Panther can be done with the OOo Tech Preview installer along with Fondu.

2. You can simply run OOo remotely using X11 from one machine if you like.

Hope this helps,

Kevin
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Kevin

Thanks for your reply.

With respect to Server-Client terminology, I do not know what I am talking about either.

I refer to pp 31-34 in OpenOffice.org 1.0 Resource Kit by Haugland & Jones, in which there is a section entitled «Installation: Multi-User».

There, they use the terms Server and Client, and describe a somewhat complex (at least, to me) series of steps.

Basically, I want to have all of my templates on one machine with access to them on the other machine(s). Thus alterations can be made in only one place and used by others on other machines.

At the moment I am using the X11 build, so your suggestion to run it remotely from one machine seems to be my answer.

I presume in this case that we all can use OOo at the same time.

I'll have to do some homework on what you mean by «set up nfs file shares»

Again - Thanks

PS - I really do like the faster opening of Tech_Preview3!

Kevin Hendricks

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:23 am    Post subject: Client Server ?

Hi,

> I refer to pp 31-34 in OpenOffice.org 1.0 Resource Kit by Haugland &
> Jones, in which there is a section entitled «Installation: Multi-User».
>
> There, they use the terms Server and Client, and describe a somewhat > complex (at least, to me) series of steps.

The version installed by OOo_Tech_Preview* is a *Multi-User* install.
The main install is done by you once into /Applications and then the first time each user tries to start it up, it automatically does a "Workstation" install for that user (that is what happens when the barber pole - please be patient progress bar is shown on first launch).

So multiple users can already use OOo from the same machine. If you want multiple users on multiple machines to be able use it, you must either share the application via AppleShare (apple file sharing) somehow (and I am not sure how to do that) or nfs mount and share it (unix file sharing) or use X11 and run it remotely from another machine.

> Basically, I want to have all of my templates on one machine with
> access to them on the other machine(s). Thus alterations can be made > in only one place and used by others on other machines.

Simply store the templates in the proper place in /Applications/share/...
and use X11 remotely or place your templates and things on a shared filesystem with write access by all. You should be do this via nfs (unix networked file systems) or via apple file/application sharing but I have never tried it.

> At the moment I am using the X11 build, so your suggestion to run it
> remotely from one machine seems to be my answer.

Yes, you can:

1. turn on remote login on your machine (see network or netinfo)

2. start up X11 on the second machine and issue the following commands in an xterm

xhost +
ssh -X -C USERID@YOURSERVERMACHINE

After issuing your password, simply do:

cd /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program
./soffice

After a couple of moments delay, you should be running OpenOffice.org on the second machine as if you were in front of the first machine

Kevin
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Kevin
Thanks for the reply.
(1) when I enter xhost + , I get

-bash: xhost: command not found

(2) When I ignore that problem and ssh to the other machine(g4emacam) I get

/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program/soffice.bin X11 error: Can't open display:
Set DISPLAY environment variable, use -display option
or check permissions of your X-Server
(See "man X" resp. "man xhost" for details)

I haven't a clue where to go from here.

Kevin Hendricks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject:

Hi,

Sorry, I missed the fact that you had replied.

You need to run xhost + first. But since /usr/X11R6/bin was not in your path, the xhost command could not be found.

Try the following (since you are running the bash shell)

export PATH=${PATH}:/usr/X11R6/bin

Then try typing

xhost +

That should do the trick.

Kevin
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1