Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Flash plugin support
Flash plugin support

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mans

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Flash plugin support

The easy integration of Flash movies (.swf files) into Impress presentations in OpenOffice for Windows has turned into the MS Office killer in our office.

Unfortunately, the presentations don't survive a pass through our Mac users!

Please, help chase MS out of our office by adding not only features that bring NeoOffice into parity, but with features that outshines and even lacks in the competition.

Thanks,
Mans
mans

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: ... and I'm willing to pay for it

... or rather my company would. Smile

Any thoughts on cost and implementation time?

Thanks again for a great product!

Mans
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject:

The best bet for this would be to try and integrate a QuickTime plugin as QT can interpret flash movies. This is already another topic in this forum. If QuickTime can support your content, that's the best bet as we already know there is a feasible engineering prospect for implementing QuickTime integration with Neo.

We really don't have the resources to fund a Mozilla plugin effort right now...to do so would be near a year of engineering, and lots of ongoing support. Shoehorning into QT may be the best bet.

As the New Features program has landed with a nice big thud, unless your company can help out financially I wouldn't bet on anything happening in the short term Smile

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject:

How about VLC? It plays a lot more formats than Quicktime..
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
How about VLC? It plays a lot more formats than Quicktime..

VLC doesn't play .swf plays.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
The best bet for this would be to try and integrate a QuickTime plugin as QT can interpret flash movies. This is already another topic in this forum. If QuickTime can support your content, that's the best bet as we already know there is a feasible engineering prospect for implementing QuickTime integration with Neo.

Unfortunately, I verified today that the QuickTime APIs in the most recent QuickTime version from Apple will not load .swf files. Interestingly, they used to support that format and then abruptly pulled support in a while back.

I agree with Ed that if you can use video file formats that are viewable in QuickTime Player (and you can hear the sound in NeoOffice), there is a good chance that we can potentially implement a solution for not much more than the estimates for the current features on our New Features Program page. The key is that it has to be a QuickTime supported format.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject:

This may depend on the underlying flash version. After enabling flash (System Preferences > QuickTime > Advanced > Enable Flash) I can view older flash files on PPC at least...

ed
SteveRead
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: playing Flash files

The Perian codec for Quicktime, which can be found at
http://perian.org
can play some flash files. I can't tell whether it plays .swf files.
SteveRead
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: playing flash files

I just read on the VLC site that it says that it plays FLV files (Flash files). However, I'm not clear on the relationship between .swf and .flv. So is .swf the container file and .flv is the actual format?
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject:

Accroding to WikipediA, .swf is not Flash video, but rather "Shockwave Flash" animated vector graphics. Follow my link for more information.
SteveRead
Operator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: playing flash files

that's true, but this entry says that FLV files can be embedded in .swf files.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLV
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject:

SteveRead wrote:
that's true, but this entry says that FLV files can be embedded in .swf files.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FLV

Which means that .swf is more than just Flash video, not the contrary.
iking
Operator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:

Which means that .swf is more than just Flash video, not the contrary.

Correct -- in fact they're separate. The SWF files are little Flash applications that create a player and UI and control playback of an FLV file; basically, it gives you the view and controls. Same idea for Flash-based players that play MP3 audio. FLV is the multimedia container format and where the data lives, with video encoded using H.263 and audio as MP3. There are a whole load of tools that can create FLV (I use ffmpeg to spin out video in FLV and a host of other formats) and an increasing number of media players that support it; QT is one.

You can push any properly encoded FLV file through any player that can handle the format, though I think it's fair to say that most users see the player and the video itself as being one and the same. The fact that sites like YouTube make it difficult to download the actual video probably doesn't help this perception...

I guess it's a matter of what you want to do -- if the goal is to embed a movie that you already have into a presentation, then Quicktime seems like a good project to support. (Question for those who know: would integrating a QT plugin also give users QT's video controls (playback, volume, etc) inside their presentation?)

Ian
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1