NeoOffice :: View topic - Online Update Module
Online Update Module

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteveLamb
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Online Update Module

Hi, first post here

I have downloaded NeoOffice 2.1 & it's brilliant. But there's one problem, can't install Online Update module after doing install. Sad It would be nice if I could re-run the install package & select the module (which you can't do), or the module was included in the install from the beginning.

Steve
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject:

Hello there

As mentioned in your bugzilla post thread, because NeoOffice needs to install in a particular way to ensure that all users on the computer can use it, it has to do its main & patch installations via a package installer application - so there's not the option for activating the 'internal online update' on a mac, I'm afraid.

- padmavyuha
SteveLamb
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject:

Thanks for that. Do you think it could be done in the future some time?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject:

SteveLamb wrote:

Not unless enough users show an interest and pay for the cost of rewriting the OOo update module to do what our patch installer already does. I cannot estimate the cost at this time, but I would assume that it will be at least as much cost as the features already listed on the New Features Program page.

If enough people voice their support for this new feature here, we will estimate the cost and add this new feature to the list on the page.

Patrick
Baggypants
Councilperson

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject:

could we not just have an rss feed for patches? like podcasts, or am I missing something obvious?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject:

Baggypants wrote:
could we not just have an rss feed for patches? like podcasts, or am I missing something obvious?

We already have an announcement mailing list that you can subscribe to using the instructions on the Support page.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject:

Perhaps we should add the info about the mailinglist on the patch download page ?
SteveLamb
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: Online Update

pluby wrote:
SteveLamb wrote:

Not unless enough users show an interest and pay for the cost of rewriting the OOo update module to do what our patch installer already does. I cannot estimate the cost at this time, but I would assume that it will be at least as much cost as the features already listed on the New Features Program page.

If enough people voice their support for this new feature here, we will estimate the cost and add this new feature to the list on the page.

Patrick

Have signed up for update warning emails. As to feature not in NeoOffice, can you tell me why "Automatic notification of new patches and versions (11/2004)" is mentioned here:

http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_and_Aqua#What_are_some_recent_Aquafication_breakthroughs.3F

Was this in previous version of NeoOffice? If so, why was it not carried over into NeoOffice 2?

Steve
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:37 am    Post subject:

This is not the same feature. During beta testing periods, NeoOffice will check at startup for the latest patch, compare it to the current installed patch, and (if you don't have the latest patch installed) open a window with the contents of the patch download page.
Glenner
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject:

There is a Dashboard widget available from http://blog.gkaindl.com/downloads/ which checks all your software against Apple's software directory, MacUpdate and Version Tracker. Seems to do a good job.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1