macslashed

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: macslashed

we got macslashed...

well, at least OO.oX11 did. the article, of course, points to the oo.o site (and there are already questions in the comments...)

-j
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject:

There have also been two-and-a-half hints this week on Mac OS X Hints about/related to OOo X11....
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject:

It still amazes me that people don't seem to try to find their support answers here or even e-mail me their crashlogs even though my e-mail is plastered all over the place Shocked

I tried to add in links to the FAQ for those answers on macslash. When I went through the update of the OOo website as well I also tried to update the support page:

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/support.html

Any ideas on how better to organize support resources for people?

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, so much for my thinking the weblocs in the <OOo> folder would help...I think some people just like to complain that things don't work rather than trying to find help or do even the slightest bit of work themselves. Sad Mad

I hit a couple of posts over on VersionTracker (note to self...see if there are any over on MacUpdate) with links to the FAQ/trinity but haven't seen anyone like them show up yet.

BTW, I noticed that Apple's Mac OS X software listing still has OOo 1.1.1 TP and "OpenOffice 1.0.3" listed. The latter at least points to the Porting/Mac download page so people are getting the latest, but the titles/descriptions are out of date.

Now really out the door....

Smokey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:49 pm    Post subject: support problems

OPENSTEP wrote:
It still amazes me that people don't seem to try to find their support answers here or even e-mail me their crashlogs even though my e-mail is plastered all over the place Shocked

I have not read those particular complaints but I have read the posts where it seems like the person has not even read any of the instructions. I think the problem is that people just ignore what they don't understand and since there are no alternatives, people will try to use OOoX11 even though there are warnings that it is for the tech savvy only.

I think the best place to concentrate support efforts is the readme file. It could be more than just late breaking news and contain links to the more detailed documentation. This would be a great way to centrally organize all of the docs. By the time someone reaches a forum with a problem, they are alreay exasperated. Not everyone reads the readme but everyone should.

There are 3 forums linked from the readme, that seems like duplicating work for the people who answer questions and it means a good user has to search all 3. Could the 3 be combined?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: support problems

While the readme is a great idea of a place to consolidate things, unfortunately it's just a difficult place to get in the thorny release support questions since, well, they don't really come up until after the dimage is out the door. Generally I've tried to avoid putting together a new dimage solely for the purpose of updating the readme included with it...it takes quite a bit of effort to QC the installer.

We do have the option of changing the online README if anyone wants to take a stab at it. I just don't have the time to edit it to death myself Smile

guest wrote:
There are 3 forums linked from the readme, that seems like duplicating work for the people who answer questions and it means a good user has to search all 3. Could the 3 be combined?

The three are on different systems and so can't really be combined. The idea is that they serve different needs, though, with here for "Macish" questions, ooodocs as an alternative Mac place (and also for legacy support since it has a lot of hints from during our early beta cycles and such that are still quite relevant), and the ooouser forums for general program support in a cross-platform environment (and more languages).

What I've been trying to do is extract the most commonly asked questions into the FAQs. While unfortunately they aren't directly linked to in the README that comes along with the dimage, I did reorganize the Support page at the main OOo site to place them before the forums. In the forums here, at least, I've tried to put quick links to them on the top too.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1