· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J 0.8.4 patch available
NeoOffice/J 0.8.4 patch available

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice/J 0.8.4 patch available

I have fixed a few bugs that have been reported against NeoOffice/J 0.8.4 and I have posted "patch-1". This patch contains fixes for the following bugs:

1. Some Mac OS X installations have a broken "cp" command which wll cause NeoJ to crash on startup. This patch removes all dependencies on the "cp" command.

2. Some Asian fonts would display a single underline instead of a double underline while typing. This patch properly displays the double underline for Asian fonts.

Download and installation instructions for the lastest patch binaries are available at http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/download.php#install.

Please help the testing effort and file any bugs that you find in Bugzilla (http://bugzilla.neooffice.org).

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject:

For anyone who might be interested, I have posted a revised "plain English" explanation of applying NeoJ patches (with screenshots) at http://www.geocities.com/sardisson/mac/patching.html

Smokey
o45ratio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 3:45 pm    Post subject: 0.8.4 patch

tried to apply patch as per"smokey" instructions:
after dragging the patch icon into the terminal then hit return, I got the following message:

tar: old option
'f' requires an argument
Try 'tar--help' for more information

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks,
Henry in Seattle
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Have you tried using the way that is documented at http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/download.php#install?

Patrick
o45ratio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: 0.8.4 patch 1

Patrick:

Thanks, your instructions worked without error.

Henry in Seattle
Willie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Patch Install

Just another data point.

The instructions on sardisson's web page worked perfectly for me.

The patch works well too.

Thank you Patrick for NeoOfficeJ Exclamation

Thanks also to those who help the user community,
[/b]
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.8.4 patch

o45ratio wrote:
tried to apply patch as per"smokey" instructions:
after dragging the patch icon into the terminal then hit return, I got the following message:

tar: old option
'f' requires an argument
Try 'tar--help' for more information

Hmm. My instructions use the same commands Patrick used to post with the announcements of patches here in the forum (and are, as far as I can tell, essentially the same as the ones on the NeoJ install page), just with additional "plain English" text to explain them and illustrate Mac OS X behaviors. I've never seen this, or any other, error as long as I've been using those commands, and the user I originially wrote the instructions for had no problems, either. Hmm.

(Patrick, was there any particular "technical" reason you discontinued posting the other version?)

Henry, what version of OS X are you using, and was it an upgrade or clean install from some previous version?

Smokey
o45ratio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: 0.8.4 patch installation

smokey:
I'm using 10.3.4 upgrade on a g4 powerbook.
I will say that your instruction set was clear and well presented.
I made two attempts at installation, with the same error message each time. No damage done, as far as I can determine, from using the dread
"sudo".

Henry
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.8.4 patch installation

o45ratio wrote:
I'm using 10.3.4 upgrade on a g4 powerbook.

If you can stand another question, did you ever have 10.2.x installed? I'm grasping here, but perhaps it's a shell difference...I'm at 10.3.4 on an Aluminum G4 PB, but it started with 10.2.7 and I did a normal upgrade installation to 10.3, so my shell is still tcsh; new 10.3 installs default to bash.... (it's in the title bar of the terminal window: Terminal — shellwindow_size)

o45ratio wrote:
I will say that your instruction set was clear and well presented.
I made two attempts at installation, with the same error message each time. No damage done, as far as I can determine, from using the dread
"sudo".

Henry

Thanks, Henry. I'm glad it was clear--but especially that no harm was done when it failed!

Smokey
o45ratio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: patch installation issue

smokey:
My terminal window indicates 'tcsh'. I've used the upgrade path since 10.0, rather than clean installs.

Hope this helps, and as an old technical advisor, I don't know how many times I've heard "But I did it just as you told me to", when of course they didn't. But I think, I did it as instructed, but ultimately no paper trail. It did take me a few passes to get all the single quotes in Patrick's design balanced... (They were there, I just didn't enter them all)

Henry in Seattle
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.8.4 patch

sardisson wrote:
(Patrick, was there any particular "technical" reason you discontinued posting the other version?)

As you can see I'm not Patrick, but I know that the patch install instructions from him have changed after a private mail exchange we had while I was translating the NeoJava pages.
Patrick, at first, wrote a single long shell command to do the job. I made a remark about the skillness required to edit long shell command when they are folded on several lines in a terminal window. Bash, in Terminal, is messing when you move the cursor forth and back on such a line. If one is using UTF-8 charset and accented chars in files names, then it's very difficult to handle.
That's why he splitted it in three lines, surrounded by a bourne shell launch/exit to be safe with the tcsh/bash split of the OS X population.

Just to let you know, while saving a bit of Patrick's precious work...
Max
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.8.4 patch

Max_Barel wrote:
Patrick, at first, wrote a single long shell command to do the job. I made a remark about the skillness required to edit long shell command when they are folded on several lines in a terminal window.

Hi Max,

I think that one-line version predated my experience with NeoJ, and I can certainly understand a switch from that Smile

I'm referring to the two-line version Patrick used to post along with notices of the patches; the last time he did it was here, for 0.8.1 patch-6: http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=2257
While posting those, the download page had the same multi-line/shell-enclosed instructions as are there now.

Is there anything in the commands in the post above that could be tripped up by different shells? (Except Henry and I are both using tsch....) Those are the ones I am using in my guide, just taking it step-by-step and with screenshots Smile

Thanks,
Smokey
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: 0.8.4 patch

sardisson wrote:
Is there anything in the commands in the post above that could be tripped up by different shells? (Except Henry and I are both using tsch....) Those are the ones I am using in my guide, just taking it step-by-step and with screenshots

No, as far as I can see (in fact I use it), except, maybe, handling of UTF-8 charset.
Is your tcsh correctly setup to handle the UTF-8 embedded in the file names when drag&drop from finder?
As I'm a bash user my bash is setup, my tcsh is not.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.8.4 patch

Max_Barel wrote:
Is your tcsh correctly setup to handle the UTF-8 embedded in the file names when drag&drop from finder?

Hi Max,

I'm not positive what you mean by this; I haven't done anything special to enable UTF-8, but when I drag a file with an Arabic name to the Terminal, it gets "encoded" with backslashes and numbers. "open {dragged filename}" works. Am I supposed to be able to see the Arabic characters normally? (I also put a ü in an otherwise "plain ASCII" filename and it was likewise encoded, not displayed directly, but the file opened.)

Thanks,
Smokey
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject:

On my box, when I drag a file with non ascii chars in name from finder to tcsh window, the shell bells and the file does not open.
The terminal display setting is to UTF-8 codeset, and for bash to display correctly those chars, I had to toggle a few settings :
Code:
[max@grogro max]$ cat ~/.inputrc
set convert-meta Off
set input-meta On
set output-meta On

Anyway I'm not sure nor even confident that this is the right clue to explain why your method does not work at all time.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2