Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Install stalled?
Install stalled?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sinemac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Install stalled?

I'm trying to install 1.1.2 and it seems to be getting stuck at "Converting Fonts". I know the FAQ says it can take a few minutes, but so far it's been somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes... that seems like more than "a few" to me. Is it possible it's just taking this long? Or is there more likely a problem? (I'm on a G5 with over a gig of RAM, so I don't think it's because my machine is too slow Wink

I followed the upgrade instructions, deleting my previous install and the .serversionrc file. But I've now tried 3 times with the same result, and usually after about 20 minutes I end up force quitting, deleting what was installed, and trying again.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Stalled installation

I have the same problem. The installation gets stuck while converting the lucida font.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I know the FAQ says it can take a few minutes, but so far it's been somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes

Unless you have tons and tons of fonts, 5 minutes is probably sufficient...it's likely some part of the font conversion process has hung. There are some problems cropping up with this that we didn't see in testing. Do you have any sort of non-standard setup (multiple partitions or the like), by any chance? Some of the real gurus here can probably figure out more by posing some additional questions to you Smile

However, besides a bit of cleanup, the font conversion is the last thing the installer does, so in all likelihood your install is "complete" and will work, though some fonts may be missing and will have to be converted manually or via Start OpenOffice.org.

Here's a screenshot of my OOo112 folder: http://homepage.mac.com/sardisson/ooo/OOo112installfolder.pdf
You should have all of these items, except perhaps the Uninstall folder and the Install log, and maybe with the addition of the convert_lucida.sh script-gone-awry, if it didn't delete itself because it hung Smile If your folder looks like this, then the chances are very good that your installation is functional.

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Fri Oct 08, 2004 2:42 am; edited 1 time in total
TomS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: Stalled??

Well, I waited for 40 minutes and had to force quit the installation. Although the installation was almost finished (up to the lucida font conversion) I could not launch openoffice as it kept asking me where the main program was!

Tom
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalled??

TomS wrote:
Although the installation was almost finished (up to the lucida font conversion) I could not launch openoffice as it kept asking me where the main program was!

This is, I believe, expected behavior on the first run (Terry, is that true?). Start OpenOffice.org should put up that dialogue and if you select the /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2 folder, OOo should proceed to launch (and you should not be asked again on future launches). If this is not the case, then something else is the matter.

Smokey
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Also there is a note in the FAQ that if you are installing OpenOffice.org onto a different partition or hard drive from your main startup disk there may be a freeze in the install process. Is this the case when you're trying to install?

ed
sinemac
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject:

I've got a single partition and a pretty standard install.

Mine also stalled on the Lucida font.

Anyway, after force quitting the last attempt (after 40 or so minutes of font conversion) I tried launching the application. I had to tell it where the install was the first time, then it launched fine. (And I do have the convert_lucida.sh file in my OOo112 folder).

Scott
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject:

The "Converting fonts" step is the final step, so if the installer is force exited at this stage OpenOffice.org is already installed. You may lose some of the fonts, but the application itself will run no problem.

ed
TomS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 11:37 pm    Post subject: Stalled?

Well, the first few times I had to force quit the installation I could not launch openoffice at all althouth I indicated where the folder was. The window kept on asking me where ooo was. Obviously, ooo did not install completely. I decided to install in my user directory instead, I forced quit it when it got stuck and ... finally, I managed to get it to work. I do not know what I did this last time that made the difference. The location? Anyways, thanks for your help.

Tom
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hang while converting fonts during installation

sinemac wrote:
I've got a single partition and a pretty standard install.

Mine also stalled on the Lucida font.

Yes, this is a known problem with the OOo 1.1.2 Final Installer - read the Installer FAQ at the top of this forum. I don't believe it is necessarily limited to installations on partitions other than the boot partition, but that is how I found the problem.

Regards, Terry
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Stalled??

sardisson wrote:
TomS wrote:
Although the installation was almost finished (up to the lucida font conversion) I could not launch openoffice as it kept asking me where the main program was!

This is, I believe, expected behavior on the first run (Terry, is that true?). Start OpenOffice.org should put up that dialogue and if you select the /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2 folder, OOo should proceed to launch (and you should not be asked again on future launches). If this is not the case, then something else is the matter.

Smokey

Yes, this is correct. It doesn't necessarily have to be the first run - any time "Start OpenOffice.org" can't find your OOo installation folder (which could be because of "first time", "corrupted preferences", "missing pieces", etc) without your assistance, it will ask. I believe the "Start OpenOffice.org" documentation has a section that explains the conditions in which "Start OpenOffice.org" will ask for the OOo installation location.

If you are seeing "Start OpenOffice.org" repeatedly asking you for the OOo installation location, then likely there is a problem with your OOo installation, and will require further troubleshooting.

Regards, Terry
[author of "Start OpenOffice.org"]
Sascha

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stalled??

TomS wrote:
Well, I waited for 40 minutes and had to force quit the installation. Although the installation was almost finished (up to the lucida font conversion) I could not launch openoffice as it kept asking me where the main program was!

Tom

Hi Tom,

try to launch it manually:
With your X server running, open a Terminal and execute the following four commands (do not include the bullets):

set env DISPLAY localhost:0
set env DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program:/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program/filter
cd /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program
sh soffice

(This comes from the OpenOffice HTML ReadMeFirst, however please put a 'Space' between 'set' and 'env', as I just did. Then you can start OpenOffice.)
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject:

You shouldn't have to put a space between the "set" and "env"..."setenv" is all a single word. Probably some of the difficulty you're having is that the default Mac OS X shell is no longer csh, but bash. Under bash you'll probably need to do the following set of three commands:

Code:

set DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program:/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program/filter ; export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

set DISPLAY=localhost:0 ; export DISPLAY

sh /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program/soffice

(bash users, feel free to correct me...I'm a csh addict myself and may have gotten the exports or set commands wrong)

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1