· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Text in the Icon
Text in the Icon

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Text in the Icon

I have a request for a bit of trivia...what's the text say in the 3rd and 4th paragraphs in the icon of NeoOffice 2.1? The ship obscures some of the words.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject:

I don't know which page you are talking about, but it does remind me that I need to change the "Apple Computer, Inc." references in the splash screen to "Apple Inc." in the next release.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject:

I think he might be referring to the Finder icon for Writer documents (it's the only icon that has four paragraphs of text and the ship icon). I wonder how he was able to read the first two paragraphs though Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject:

precisely! The Finder icon for the Writer docs when in Column view. The first 2 are easy, and you can read them by using Cmd-Alt-= to zoom in (Cmd-Alt-minus to zoom out). The first para is the NeoOffice blurb: "NeoOffice: bringing the power of OpenOffice.org to Mac OS X". The second paragraph is the disclaimer: "NeoOffice is distributed under the GNU General Public License. For more information contact the Free Software Foundation." The 3rd and 4th are somewhat readable, but incomplete sentences make it difficult to figure out.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject:

You would have found this if you searched closely on this forum. It is a quote from the film, Blade Runner (Ridley Scott, 1982).

Quote:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.

All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
You would have found this if you searched closely on this forum. It is a quote from the film, [url-http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/]Blade Runner[/url] (Ridley Scott, 1982).

Is this copyrighted material? Neither Ed nor I own copyright to the icon and use it under the GPL license from the creator of the icon. Does this mean that the creator of the icon has included copyrighted material that they do not own in the icon? If so, it should be removed from their work and new icon files without the copyrighted text be provided for the NeoOffice 2.2.1 release.

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Goddam, you've got good eyesight. I thought mine was good, but I'd never be able to read the text if I didn't know what it was. When I made the icons I needed some text to put in the document icon and it was the first thing that came to mind (one of my favourite films). Apologies to Ed and Patrick if I've caused any concern. As Oscar mentioned, the quote was noticed at the time the icons were being designed and I thought it was common knowledge amongst the "icon team". Smile

This is copyrighted material - however I think there's a very strong case for "fair use" based on the following clauses from the U.S. copyright office: 1) the use is non-commercial in nature; 2) the nature of the copyrighted work - it's fair to say instances of this quote are abundant in printed and electronic media; 3) the quote is so short in relation to the work as a whole; 4) it causes no monetary deprivation to the original author

See http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html for the clauses.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject:

I was afraid you were going to start about this...

It probably is. The film was distributed by Warner Bros. On the other hand, the quote has been used in other settings. We are not using a lot of material, about four and a half sentences and no imagery. Our icons also do not serve a commercial purpose, nor do they detract from the commercial value of the film. We could claim fair use.

IANAL, but I doubt that WB would object. Their lawyers should have better things to do. Personally, I would prefer not to go through the trouble of changing the icons, because I like the text as it is and it may well expend energy that is better spent on something else.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject:

You may have a point. But I was thinking that we could just open the PSD file (the image source is bundled with the icons) and replace the text with the "Lorem ipsum dolor..." standard text.

After all, djpimley is going to update the splashscreen so it seems a convenient time to clean this up.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject:

FWIW, might I suggest some more suitable Latin? Wink

http://www.gutenberg.lib.md.us/etext95/anidl10.txt

The Æneid is public domain in the United States, and tells the epic adventure of a brave survivor sailing across the unfriendly seas to found a great new civilization...sort of like some software we all know and love. Wink

Smokey

The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
djpimley is going to update the splashscreen so it seems a convenient time to clean this up.

I guess so.

/Dan quietly sheds a tear for the loss of his little maker's mark. Sad
/But the tear is lost in the rain... Wink
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

The Æneid is public domain in the United States, and tells the epic adventure of a brave survivor sailing across the unfriendly seas to found a great new civilization...sort of like some software we all know and love. Wink

Smokey

Sounds good to me.

Edit: I looked at each of the Finder icons that are shipped with NeoOffice and the following two should be changed:

stw_dot_Option_1.icns
sxw_sdw_doc_Option_1.icns

Patrick
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

Smokey
+1 for Æneid
Who will select the passage? Cool

I could never read that small print. First time I saw it I thought that the icon previewed the document contents. Shocked
Guess I was dreaming about ... Time Machine? Vu Deja?? Rolling Eyes

Philip ( "You" can read THAT? Wink )
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject:

Well, as said, I like the current text, but I am not in charge.

And I haven't got good eyesight, but rather a good memory and some skill in pattern recognition.

grumbling,
Oscar

LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject:

Oscar,

I would agree with you, except everyone seems law-suit happy in the US.
It would be sad to see the (almost invisible) text but who wants to spend "any" time and money arguing the issue? Embarassed

Plus, with NeoOffice getting much wider use, it's probably best to error on the side of caution. bummer

Philip ( "Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean someone is not out to get me!" Rolling Eyes )

Quote:
/Dan quietly sheds a tear for the loss of his little maker's mark. Crying or Very sad
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4