Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Request for testers: wpd2sxw (WordPerfect>OOoWriter cnv)
Request for testers: wpd2sxw (WordPerfect>OOoWriter cnv)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: Request for testers: wpd2sxw (WordPerfect>OOoWriter cnv)

I am getting ready to release Mac OS X binaries of the command-line tools from the libwpd project for converting WordPerfect documents to OOo Writer documents. Yes, me releasing software...head for your caves, the world is coming to an end! Shocked

These tools are a stop-gap release until the integrated OOo import filter component, WriterPerfect, becomes a standard part of OOo 2.0. (The component currently builds and installs successfully on the Mac/OOo1.1.2, but when invoked, OOo gives a general i/o error before even calling the dependent libraries.... Sad The filter of course works on Windows and various Linuxes Sad )

Anyway, since I'm the closest thing to a Mac programmer actively involved in the project (and by "Mac programmer" I mean "on a good day, I can AppleScript my way out of a paper bag"), I'd really appreciate some additional testers before releasing this thing into the wild. I've tested the installer package and tools on my Mac--without incident--but it's the only OS X machine I have access to, and I'd like to have a few more setups/systems put it through its paces first Smile

The file "Critical Information.txt" on the disk image details the specific things I can think of that I'd like to test, but any other feedback/tips/things I've missed are most appreciated. (I'm most concerned about the installer package itself, but there's a sample .wpd document on the .dmg to test that the tools actually work on your system!)

If you've got a fresh backup, a strong stomach, and a few minutes, I'd really appreciate you giving the installer package and tools a test run. Very Happy (Really, it *should* be harmless, but definitely treat it with more care than the OOo test installers--Ed not only knows what he is doing but also has a couple of Macs/partitions to test on first) Wink

Oh, yeah, the link: http://homepage.mac.com/sardisson/libwpd-wpd2sxw.dmg

Many thanks!
Smokey

* The stable release versions of libwpd and wpd2sxw don't support WP-Mac docs, but there's basic and some advanced support for WPD3 docs already in CVS, so it's coming! The next time I do one of these installers Smile

Last edited by sardisson on Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Paraplegic_Racehorse
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject:

I'll test it, but I need some WP docs to convert. Is there a convenient place to snatch a few dozen?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject:

Paraplegic_Racehorse wrote:
I'll test it, but I need some WP docs to convert. Is there a convenient place to snatch a few dozen?

Sorry, I forgot to mention I've included a sample document on the disk image.

Actually, I'm not seeking to test the function of the conversion so much as whether I built the tools properly to include/eliminate all dependencies, and whether my installer package behaves properly. Smile So either wpd2sxw works or it doesn't Smile The state of the wpd>sxw conversion is pretty much a known quantity (and from my testing of the wpds I deal with, it works pretty well, although the every WP file format feature is not yet converted).

If you do feel like testing a bunch of wpd files, the libwpd regression test suite of docs is here. Also, here's what the doc I included should look like in OOo or NeoJ.

Thanks!
Smokey

Edit: I should probably also mention I have a nice AppleScript droplet that I'll be releasing (separately from the libwpd tools for project and licensing issues) that will do mass conversions with some file-type checking and error handling, if anyone happening on this thread deals with wpd files regularly (or even occasionally and just wants to avoid the command line).
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject:

i have a crapload of WP docs from my PC days... it was so much fun converting them (one by one) from WP to .doc on the PC...

*sigh*

i'll give it a go and see what comes up, would definatly be a nice bit of ammo to have against MS Office... =D

-j

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:45 am    Post subject: Install test

A.
1. /opt was not there on my system yet
2. ,,
3. Installed from an admin account, non-root. permissions seem to be OK, maybe no w on bins:
ls -al /opt
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 21 Sep 11:10 .
drwxrwxr-t 48 root admin 1632 21 Sep 11:10 ..
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 21 Sep 11:10 wpcnv

ls -al /opt/wpcnv/
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 21 Sep 11:10 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 21 Sep 11:10 ..
drwxr-xr-x 6 root admin 204 21 Sep 11:10 bin

ls -al /opt/wpcnv/bin/
total 7040
drwxr-xr-x 6 root admin 204 21 Sep 11:10 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root admin 102 21 Sep 11:10 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 870308 15 Aug 09:04 wpd2html
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 882596 15 Aug 09:04 wpd2raw
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 977112 15 Aug 09:04 wpd2sxw
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root admin 866212 15 Aug 09:04 wpd2text

B.
1. OK
2. Sorry, used 10.3.5
3. Again, sorry, BSD installed

C.
- Install does not ask for root pwd from admin account, does ask admin user/pwd when invoked from non-admin user account.
- no w on bins is preffered?

D.
1. Mac OS X 10.3.5
2. admin/staff account and restricted user account
3. tcsh

Actually I.m very interested in your droplet!
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1