· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - page set up for printer
page set up for printer

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trishff
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: page set up for printer

Sorry but I am rather a novice, so my question might seem totally basic. I'm also unsure how this forum works.

I have done a document in landscape, but can't get the printer to print it in landscape. I have contacted Epson, and they say that I need 'page set up' to sort the problem, and as there was no-one there familiar with NeoOffice, they can't help.

I have a Stylus D88.

Could anyone help please?

Trish
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject:

Did you set the paper orientation to landscape in the Format > Page... menu, under the Page tab ?

Also, the File > Printer Settings... dialog has no effect on the orientation of the printed document. The paper orientation should always be set in Format > Page.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject:

Welcome to the forums at trinity, Trish. You've posted your question in the right place. This forum is "staffed" by volunteers; we all use NeoOffice and help each other out with questions. The developers, "pluby" (Patrick) and OpenStep (Ed) also follow the threads and posts, but most of the support comes from regular (i.e. non-developer type) users.

Since I'm not sure how what you've tried and what you haven't, let me walk you through the process of creating a landscape oriented document in Neo.

The first thing to understand is that you must not try to set paper orientation with the "Printer Settings" option found under the File menu. This has to do with either the underlying OpenOffice.org code or the realities of using Java--I don't remember which at the moment. Patrick tried turning off the Printer Settings options, but then we got lots of bug reports saying the Printer Settings menu item was greyed out, so he undid that "fix."

To create a landscape oriented page in NeoOffice, to the Format menu a choose "Page..."
In the window that appears, click on the "Page" tab (it looks more like a button to me, but we call it a tab).
Click on the Landscape radio button next to Orientation
Then click "OK"

Your page should now have a landscape orientation.

If you have done this, and it still won't print landscape, try the following things, in this order:
-Make sure you have the latest version of NeoOffice (currently 2.1)
and the latest patch (currently patch 7, I believe). The latest patch can be found here.
-Under the File Menu, choose Print.... then click on the "Preview" button. Your document should open in Apple's Preview application. Does it appear correctly?

If the document appears correctly in Preview, but doesn't print correctly from Neo, you may need to make sure that you have the latest drivers for your Printer. As a work around, though, you could then print from Preview.

If it doesn't appear correctly in Preview, let us know and we'll go from there.

I print landscape documents every week with no problems, but I use an HP Printer; that may or may not be the difference.

Lorinda

P.S. Another good source of information is NeoOffice's wiki, although I don't know if we have any information directly on landscape printing there at the moment.

Edit: I see Samwise beat me...that's what I get for being so wordy!
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:

P.S. Another good source of information is NeoOffice's wiki, although I don't know if we have any information directly on landscape printing there at the moment.

I just looked for some information but found nothing.
Thus: "Tip to add to the wiki" Wink

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject:

It's now been added to the "New Articles Needed" page in the wiki. Smile
trishff
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: set-up for printer

Many thanks for your help. I've finally got it sorted - and printed the document in landscape!

Even though I had only just downloaded NeoOffice, the link that I was given meant that I downloaded NeoOffice 2.0, so once I downloaded the latest, all was well!

Thanks again

Trish Very Happy
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject:

May I ask where you got your download from ?
mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject:

In the future it would be easier to download directly from the NeoOffice.org site

You can also subscribe to the newsletter to get notices of patches and new releases at:
http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/contact.php
trishff
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: download link

I initially was told to get OpenOffice, so downloaded that, but then had problems. I contacted their 'help' and they told me to delete what I'd downloaded, and use the link they gave to download NeoOffice. So that's what I did, and ended up with that older version.

Anyway, it is all working fine now, so that's excellent. Many thanks.

Trish
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject:

Was it a torrent ? The reason I'm asking this is because you seem to have downloaded NeoOffice recently, and that NeoOffice 2.1 has been available since March of this year. So if you were able to download NeoOffice 2.0 after March there may still be a mirror serving an old version of NeoOffice. That's not good because older versions have many bugs that have already been fixed. If you still have that link, could you post it here ?
trishff
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: link

Here's the email I was sent:

Hi,

Please go ahead and remove the Open Office software from your PC. We are working on a new version for the Mac called NeoOffice which is much easier to install. Please download NeoOffice from the link below and follow the instructions:
PowerPC Mac - http://www-openoffice.com/paid/NeoOffice-2.0_Beta_3-PowerPC.dmg
Intel Mac - http://www-openoffice.com/paid/NeoOffice-2.0_Beta_3-Intel.dmg

To install, double-click on the downloaded file in the Finder. This should cause the Disk Copy application to open. The Disk Copy application should automatically open the downloaded file and display a volume called NeoOffice on your desktop. Double-click on the NeoOffice volume. This should open a Finder window that contains a NeoOffice.pkg file. Double-click on the NeoOffice.pkg file and the NeoOffice installer should start.

By default, the installer will create an application called NeoOffice in your /Applications folder. To launch NeoOffice, just double-click on the NeoOffice application icon in the Finder.

Thank You,
Support Team

Quoting "www-OpenOffice.com"

End of message.

I hope this helps you to find 'whatever'.

Trish
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject:

Thanks. In the future, to get the latest version, always download NeoOffice from www.neooffice.org.

Also, it looks like http://www-openoffice.com/ is charging money for "their" software. I hope you didn't pay them anything as NeoOffice (and OpenOffice.org) are free applications.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject:

Perhaps it is worth to send a cease-and-desist letter, perhaps co-signed by Sun Microsystems? I am not sure about their trademarks, but I do believe they also like to keep distribution of OpenOffice.org binaries in their own hands, given the row over Eric B's non-vanilla builds..

It would be interesting to see how many people have paid them to get NeoOffice.

best wishes,
Oscar

doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: link

Quote:
We are working on a new version for the Mac called NeoOffice which is much easier to install. Please download NeoOffice from the link below and follow the instruction
(...)
Quoting "www-OpenOffice.com"

They are working on a new version? Seems to me that they aren't even compiling themselves (while demanding $47 for "membership"). I know that you may take money for distribution & support, but shouldn't they at least offer the GPL'd source code for free somewhere on their website? As far as I see, they only offer OpenOffice.org source code.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject:

Please do tell us if you paid for it, as charging to download NeoOffice is a violation of NeoOffice's trademark, unless all the profits are sent to the NeoOffice project. I notice that NeoOffice is not mentioned on their website (at least I couldn't find it; but I didn't go into the "members only" part of the site).

In any event, welcome to these forums, and to the NeoOffice experience!

Lorinda
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2