Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Unable to Download Neoffice Unless I Make A Donation?
Unable to Download Neoffice Unless I Make A Donation?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject:

drusus wrote:
I do not know who else to ask, I thought that the powers that be who make Neoofice, whom I presume read this website, would by now have thought just to give me a link to the file where I can download it directly, as I can get to tall the patches and language packs. Accessing them does not appear to be a problem.

Who do you think you've been talking to? I wrote the webserver code and disabling all the stuff specifically for you is 1) a lot of work that is not funded and 2) makes it very hard for me to earn even a modest living saving most people $400. We try very hard to make NeoOffice accessible to everyone, but the reality is we achieve only a 99.99% success rate. Chasing down and customizing everything for the 0.01% who have unusual problems like yourself is a fast way to bankrupt the whole project.

Sorry it doesn't work for your browser, firewall, ISP, proxy, or whatever configuration. However, our site is simple HTML and I do know that it works correctly with a direct interest connection. You haven't give me an data that suggests we have malformed HTML. Like Lorinda suggested, all data points to some software between you and our servers serving you cached incorrect copies of our site.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject:

You might try running through the download attempt using Firefox with the LiveHTTPHeaders extension installed. That might provide some data indicating (on a server or protocol level) what's going on in your case; at the very least, others can run through the same thing and then compare logs.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject:

I forgot to add: whatever you do, do *not* donate. Since the simple Skip Donation button is not working for you. I can almost guarantee that the web site will not work properly after you donate.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject:

More data: I grokked through the webserver logs and found that a ton of requests have no referrer information. Most of these requests are obviously search engines but some look like proxies. Nifty how some proxies strip off all sorts of useful information for no good reason.

Anyway, on my hunch that 1) our Mr.-Angry-Because-He-Can't-Free-Stuff is behind a proxy and 2) the proxy is stripping out referrer information, I have changed the logic of the web pages to use cookies instead of referrer information to determine if it should redirect back to the download page.

If it does not work at this point, either their is some serious non-standard proxy in between you and our server or you have cookies turned off in your browser.

Patrick
drusus
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject:

"... Anyway, on my hunch that 1) our Mr.-Angry-Because-He-Can't-Free-Stuff is behind a proxy and 2) the proxy is stripping out referrer information, I have changed the logic of the web pages to use cookies instead of referrer information to determine if it should redirect back to the download page..."

Too right I am annoyed, I bet you would be, if you felt you were banging your head against a brick wall!

And for your information, I have said IN every posting that I am more than willing to pay for the program, ~ I Just wanted to try it first ~ where the heck is the harm in that?

If as one of the main authors of the program,you feel ticked off because one of the "00.01%" of potential customers has a problem getting the program, that's not my fault.

As I said in my last post, using three different browsers, all uptodate versions, caches emptied,. Cookies enables, programs even reinstalled, and still unable to get to the main download page, no problems using any other website in the world, told me it was less likely to be at my end.

You said you changed the logic of the web pages, so I immediately clicked on the same links as previously and 'Hey Presto' I was able to download the files first time.

That was all I wanted.

A Big thank you to every one else who were polite and helpful.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject:

drusus wrote:
And for your information, I have said IN every posting that I am more than willing to pay for the program, ~ I Just wanted to try it first ~ where the heck is the harm in that?

None. Where the harm is lashing out against those who have already made a huge donation in both time and money to make such a free product available to most everyone. Essentially, I used up many other people's donations to fix your problem. As far as I'm concerned, we burned a bunch of their generous donations and got nothing in return but a rude, angry diatribe. How lucky we are!

BTW, while you may actually give a donation, the reality over the last 5 years is that very, very few people actually do. In fact, the "I'll donate if I like it approach" damn near bankrupted Ed and I. That's why we put in the donation request up front: history tells us that once people have the software in their hands, most claims of "I'll donate someday" are forgotten and we are left with the bills to pay out of our own pocket.

Patrick
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject:

Sigh,

I agree with Patrick's statement about you *not* donating.
If the underlying problem prevented you from downloading Neo - WHO knows how the PayPal system would react.

As for you being ... annoyed. I would be too.
It's funny how people talking on the Internet say things that they would Never say to someone's face.
Even less so to the one person who is working to resolve a completely new, and very unusual, problem.
It you knew the number of times that we have helped someone in these forums who said over and over that there is nothing wrong with their system ( and I was one of those! Embarassed ).

As for me, if I was not truly trying to help resolve this problem I would have just ignored this thread and be done with it.

Annoyed is one thing, being a bit rude to the people who are trying to help is another thing.
The NeoOffice is very rare in the Internet community by the high level of polite replies.
Do some people get a bit rude in their responses - Yes, I know I have have. Usually when the same person keeps making demands that either can't be fulfilled, or the answer is not Yet available. We ALL learned something with this problem with Proxies.
Note: Internet connects are some of the hardest problems to resolve because communications go through so many different connections/vendors/and such. Pain in the ....

Finally, Patrick and Ed support this project out of their own pocket. Donations and funding are rare.
They will only continue to do this if the challenge / enjoyment is greater than the ... Pain in the backside.
(OK, I have my own selfish reasons for not wanting people to be rude to them - I really Love using NeoOffice and don't want them to stop developing it. Sorry, but it's true Rolling Eyes )

When all is said and done, We resolved a new, weird, problem and you were finally able to download NeoOffice.

For that I THANK all community members who tried to help,
and get down on my knees thanking Patrick (now there is a scary image Shocked )

Philip ( As they said on "Hill Street Blues" - "Let's be careful out there" Wink )
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2