NeoWiki mail broken

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
email is not required for a mediawiki account. i suspect that i can be set up that way, but i never thought it necessary.

If we're creating accounts using the "by email" feature for mailing passwords (and entering the email addresses users provide us), doesn't that mean that emails are required?

Or are you saying that the system is discarding the email addresses we enter when we are setting up accounts?

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject:

i was creating accounts simply thru the PM, using the trinity username.

and some of the older accounts that were set up when the site was open were created without email addresses.

since there are people in the loop, it should be easy to have an email requirement, but the software itself does not have such a requirement.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
the information you requested is in your PM.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. Smile

I have downloaded the file directly to our test server (so that there aren't any stray copies lying around) so you can delete the link on your server.

I have successfully loaded your database dump into a new test database and automatic backups of the database will occur every 6 hours and copies of the last 40 backups will be copied to a second server once each day.

I need to now work on getting a clean MediaWiki 1.10.0 installation to talk to this database. As soon as I have that, I will post the URL in a new NeoWiki forum topic so that the NeoWiki volunteers can try it out and see what breaks.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
since there are people in the loop, it should be easy to have an email requirement, but the software itself does not have such a requirement.

That sounds reasonable given that setup of the accounts is in the hands of only 2 people.

BTW. I just ran a query using the database dump that Jake sent me and there are only 15 users that have empty e-mails. All do not have seemed to have made any edits to the NeoWiki in recent memory.

Should I send the list to either of you via PM?

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, send me the list. I have a pretty good idea of who is real and who is an old spammer (before we locked things down; we "locked" their accounts but never deleted them).

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2