· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J 1.1 Alpha 1 is available for testing
NeoOffice/J 1.1 Alpha 1 is available for testing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: NeoOffice/J 1.1 Alpha 1 is available for testing

I have finally finished upgrading NeoOffice/J to the OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 codebase. Now Neo/J can handle RTL (e.g. Hebrew and Arabic) and vertical text editing and can save documents as PDF! There are probably many bugs, but I think it is stable enough for testers to try out.

Please note that this release may not be a stable as Neo/J 0.8.4. So, if you need Neo/J for real work, I recommend that you wait the next alpha release.

Since this release is the first release, I have not posted any announcements on the main NeoOffice/J download site. As much as possible, I am trying to limit distribution of this release to testers only.

Warning: Neo/J 1.1 Alpha 1 will overwrite your Neo/J 0.8.4 installation so you may want to rename your /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app folder before installing Neo/J 1.1 Alpha 1.

You can download the Neo/J 1.1 Alpha 1 binary from the following URL:

http://www.planamesa.org/neojava/downloads/NeoOfficeJ-1.1_Alpha_1.dmg

Please post any bugs that you find in Bugzilla (http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/) or, if you have problems with Bugzilla, in this forum.

Patrick
jordi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 8:29 pm    Post subject: hooray for pluby!

i know this forum is meant for the hardcore tech stuff, but i just want to say thank you for doing what you're doing!!

i was not happy at all with using x11 for openoffice, so when i stumbled across your project i was thrilled, to say the least.

i'm not able to contribute much tech-wise, but i do propagate the news by enthusing about neooffice/j to other mac users, and have already made some people think twice about using ms office all the time...

so, keep up the excellent work & many thanks,

jordi
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Hey, it isn't even "the first part of September" yet! What's the big idea?! Very Happy

I will be heading off on vacation soon, but I'll try to throw all manner of things at this Alpha as time allows Smile

As we say in Arabic, alf shukr ya Patrick! [1000 Thanks, Patrick!]

Smokey
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject:

so far so good! load was faster, no anomlous docs, print to PDF (both OO.o and MacOSX) works (though the output is different size, i suspect this is a method difference)

-j
jimlaurent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Question before I download.

Which Neo/J (1.1 or 0.8.4) will be the default document handler? Will it be possible to separate them or will the fight over ownership?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject:

jimlaurent wrote:
Which Neo/J (1.1 or 0.8.4) will be the default document handler? Will it be possible to separate them or will the fight over ownership?

With Mac OS X, when more than one application has registers itself as the default handler for a file type, the last application installed wins.

Of course, if you want both installed, you need to put them on separate volumes as they both install into /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app. Also, if you choose to just move your existing Neo/J 0.8.4 out of the way (so that you can restore it if Neo/J 1.1 Alpha 1 doesn't work for you), then you should just delete the 1.1 installation and move Neo/J 0.8.4 back to make Neo/J 0.8.4 the default again.

Patrick
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: impressive

Really impressive.

I drived a few miles to a friend's home which is in the ADSL coverage, because I was too impatient to try it.

Jusqu'ici tout va bien (so far so good)!
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
jimlaurent wrote:

With Mac OS X, when more than one application has registers itself as the default handler for a file type, the last application installed wins.

Of course, if you want both installed, you need to put them on separate volumes as they both install into /Applications/NeoOfficeJ.app.

This is not necessarily supported behavior (i.e. it may break NeoJ but as of yet seems not to have in my case)--and certainly not Patrick-recommended!--but (since I have only one volume) I have renamed my NeoOfficeJ(.app) to NeoOfficeJ-0.8.4.app (adding periods in an app name seems to cause the .app to become visible). I then used Apple's great(?) Open with option to set individual documents to open with 0.8.4 (I assume it also works for mass-reassign but haven't tried). I keep two versions of WordPerfect around all the time with this method, reassigning the default to be the older version....

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
jimlaurent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject:

How do you set it up to automatically open a blank writer document.

There must be a way to edit the scripts to start swriter....
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject:

jimlaurent wrote:

This is how OOo 1.1.2 works. In order to speed up startup, the "menu-only" window is loaded.

I am not sure that I would have picked this approach, but it is standard in all OOo 1.1.x implementations.

Patrick
Chris C.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: so far....

So good! Start time is about the same on my wallstreet 300 w/10.2.8 as the .84 release. Seems thus far to be about as stable, and thus far I have not found any major problems, actually I have had NO problems!

Kudos.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice/J 1.1 Alpha 1 is available for testing

I have problem with NeoOffice/J.

When I paste *.eps a file into the document, I have framework of figure and the name of a file in it. But not figure.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject:

jimlaurent wrote:

Jim,

I made a set of quick shortcuts for Neo/J (for 0.8.4 actually) that work great for this. (tried it last night) I just set up the folder in the dock and use it to launch Neo instead of the app shortcut.

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=445

(in theory, the new icons show up on these files... btw)

-j

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject:

Patrick,

I did notice one bit of strange behavior last night. I opened a long document (sixty pages or so, but just text) and started to scroll down. afterwards, whenever i moused over (no mouse buttons involved) the scroll bar on the bottom part (below the marker) it would auto scroll down. nothing would happen on the up direction.

-j
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice/J 1.1 Alpha 1 is available for testing

Anonymous wrote:
I have problem with NeoOffice/J.

When I paste *.eps a file into the document, I have framework of figure and the name of a file in it. But not figure.

Both OOo and Neo/J never supported display of EPS files. OOo and Neo/J can only support printing of the EPS file and only if you are printing to a Postscript printer.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4