Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Problem with Auto Correct
Problem with Auto Correct

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vicjoe
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: thanks for the confirmation

Good. That’s how I’m gonna post from now on ‘cause I’m a <typographic perfectionist>. Cool
mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject:

vicjoe
I knew you'd see the notation: "only on Windows systems"

I'm in your court; 15 years setting type for auto brochures using galley's and hand cutting type onto paste boards, computers and linotronic outputs to Quark and InDesign creating custom kerning pairs and special cut characters; I've had many hours of debating fonts that look/are cut to mimic the curve of a car... Typography/typesetting has a long history!

Glad to have your point made!
vicjoe
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: 15 years?

You came in at the beginning of a golden age. Imagine a Mac II and PageMaker 1.0a, lots of paste-up and only graphics place holders on the 13 inch screen.

Anyway, back to NeoO, I don't know much about macros, would that be a work-around for this space-two dashes-space thing? I suppose doing a search-replace is the simplest, it is just that I have spent too much of my life working around Windoz Kludges. Rolling Eyes

Joe
mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject:

I don’t have to imagine; I endured PageMaker; MacDraw was fun - drawing with pixels! 40MB was thought to be enough! bahaha!

Great idea: a macro to replace -- for —

if others don’t want to write a macro then set a document with the AutoCorrect addition:
Tools> AutoCorrect> Replace (tab);
in Replace window enter --
in With window enter —
then “new”

or ye ’ol classic Find & Replace
vicjoe
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: I tried that earlier...

Quote:
if others don’t want to write a macro then set a document with the AutoCorrect addition:
Tools> AutoCorrect> Replace (tab);
in Replace window enter --
in With window enter —
then “new”

Id’ done that earlier, entered it, unchecked the two boxes for replacing dashes, then used Autoformat>Apply and nothing happened, the same ol’ space-two dashes-space were there unchanged. What have I missed?
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: I tried that earlier...

vicjoe wrote:
Id’ done that earlier, entered it, unchecked the two boxes for replacing dashes, then used Autoformat>Apply and nothing happened, the same ol’ space-two dashes-space were there unchanged. What have I missed?

- Did you check "Use replacement table" in Options?
- Text was selected?
vicjoe
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Hey...

Hey mickeyinlalaland,

Your last message used real quotes and em dashes; I looked at the source code and they weren't encoded. The page’s charset is 8859-1. I’m guessing that it shows up as you intended as we both use Macs. What would those characters look like on a slightly older machine with, say Win 2000 Pro in IE 6? Would they still see the right characters (I thought UTF-8 would need to be specified to do that)? I don’t have a Dos box to test stuff with, I just used the numeric entities as insurance, but what do I know? Sheesh, my age is showing. Are OS X and Win fonts now in the same “place”?
mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject:

doctype-
when applied it brings in an “en” dash rather than an “em” dash

there is:
dash - (minus sign)
“en” dash – (option -)
“em” dash — (option shift -)
vicjoe
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Yep

Quote:
- Text was selected?

Yes, both boxes were checked. I didn’t realize text should be selected, but when I did so, still nothing happened.

Never mind, I’m going to take a break and open a vein. Wink
vicjoe
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:24 am    Post subject: doctype?

Quote:
doctype-

there is:
dash - (minus sign)
“en” dash – (option -)
“em” dash — (option shift -)

Not sure what you're saying here, the doctype on this board is conservative, 4.0.1 transitional. Are you saying that with a charset of 8859-1 it boo-boo’s and puts in the en instead of em, just like NeoO?
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Yep

vicjoe wrote:
Quote:
- Text was selected?

Yes, both boxes were checked. I didn’t realize text should be selected, but when I did so, still nothing happened.

That's odd, because in my tests it worked that way. Well, you may always Search & Replace, and I'm sure it's possible to record a Macro to do that job regularly - it's just I have never worked with Macros.

Quote:
Are you saying that with a charset of 8859-1 it boo-boo’s and puts in the en instead of em, just like NeoO?

— (em dash) is not part of ISO-8859-1, and the forum system doesn't transform it into one of the available entities &#8212; &#x2014; or &mdash;. But with Safari it looks fine, as should with any other modern browser.
mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject:

vicjoe
Alright, so I cheated and didn't encode the entries, just did the key-command entries Rolling Eyes
I'm a Mac person who has grudgingly used a PC in the past
(in a winery lab to run enology results — but that’s another story)

don’t open a vein - open a bottle of wine!

Perhaps you have defined/found the answer; I'm only using a Mac; so I have nothing to compare it too; but an “en” dash is entered eventhough I specified an “em” dash
vicjoe
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: ANSI problem?

AFAIK, ISO-8859 goes back to doctype 3.2, including the em dash; maybe it is an ANSI issue, as the ANSI # is 151 generally, and in MacRoman is 209. Perhaps Safari compensates for this (as, evidently does the Mac version of FireFox).
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hey...

vicjoe wrote:
Hey mickeyinlalaland,

Your last message used real quotes and em dashes; I looked at the source code and they weren't encoded. The page’s charset is 8859-1. I’m guessing that it shows up as you intended as we both use Macs. What would those characters look like on a slightly older machine with, say Win 2000 Pro in IE 6? Would they still see the right characters (I thought UTF-8 would need to be specified to do that)?

I checked with Win 2000 & IE 6 and everything looks fine — so I guess we can now (after years of misery) rely on the most common browsers to detect such character input and output properly, even if they are not part of the declared charset.

mickeyinlalaland wrote:
doctype-

If I create a custom replacement rule (-- => —, see my post above) and I deactivate the standard dash rules, it works for me.
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: ANSI problem?

vicjoe wrote:
AFAIK, ISO-8859 goes back to doctype 3.2, including the em dash; maybe it is an ANSI issue, as the ANSI # is 151 generally, and in MacRoman is 209. Perhaps Safari compensates for this (as, evidently does the Mac version of FireFox).

I'm definitely confused now. According to Wikipedia, em dash is part of Unicode, Windows-1252 and Mac-Roman, but not ISO-8859-1 or -15. That's all a over my head, apparently; I'm anyway happy, that it works.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3