Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - amayze on stage (and off forum)
amayze on stage (and off forum)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Vacation Notices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: amayze on stage (and off forum)

Hi All,

Its nearly time for the Festival Fringe here in Edinburgh and as for the past few years I'm playing in a show!

Being more ambitious than previous years, I'm now trying to juggle work, practise and rehearsals, so needless to say my presence here might get a bit patchy over the next 4 weeks.

All the best for 2.2.1 proper.

Andy.

P.S. If your interested:
http://www.theatrealba.ukvintage.co.uk/
http://www.edfringe.com/shows/detail.php?action=shows&id=4951
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject:

Excellent! Good luck with the play. I tried acting once and quit it for the sake of all mankind Smile

ed
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject:

Well, so much for being away from the forums and Bugzilla - I seem to have filed three of the four main bugs fixed in the latest release!!! Wink

As for the show we've just had a **** review in the local evening paper, and have only been rained off one night. One more week to go, then I must sleep......

Andy.
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: amayze on stage (and off forum)

amayze wrote:
Hi All,

Its nearly time for the Festival Fringe here in Edinburgh and as for the past few years I'm playing in a show!

I presume you were in The Lass wi the Muckle Moo

Now Andy, three questions please
1. Remind me what a muckle moo is?
2. I love that address Duddingston Kirk Manse Garden. Somewhere near Arthur's Seat, is it?
3. C'd any yin w'oot a real Scots ear ken anything that was said?

Wink
Peter
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: amayze on stage (and off forum)

aussie149 wrote:
I presume you were in The Lass wi the Muckle Moo
You assume correctly!
Quote:
Now Andy, three questions please
1. Remind me what a muckle moo is?
2. I love that address Duddingston Kirk Manse Garden. Somewhere near Arthur's Seat, is it?
3. C'd any yin w'oot a real Scots ear ken anything that was said?

Wink
Peter

1. A "Muckle Mou" is a large mouth
2. The Gardens are to the north of Arthur's Seat, next to Duddingston Loch. The loch is better known as the scene of this painting.
3. It isnae as haurd as ye micht think tae unnerstaun Scots, partiecularly when its weill speared by guid actors. Its no muckle waur than auld Willie Shakespeare tae unnerstaun.

Andy.

P.S. The lack of a Scot dictionary for NeoOffice has left my crib notes for the show covered in red underlines!!
P.P.S. To further blow my own trumpet (well whistle actually!) the review is here.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: amayze on stage (and off forum)

amayze wrote:
P.S. The lack of a Scot dictionary for NeoOffice has left my crib notes for the show covered in red underlines!!

Somewhere, some time (last year?) I read something about this being under development, I thought.

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: amayze on stage (and off forum)

amayze wrote:

2. It isnae as haurd as ye micht think tae unnerstaun Scots, partiecularly when its weill speared by guid actors. Its no muckle waur than auld Willie Shakespeare tae unnerstaun.

P.P.S. To further blow my own trumpet (well whistle actually!) the review is here.

I love 2, and I even ken a bit of it. Some interesting suggestions from the spell-checker. The loch is a bit further round than I thought. It's 30 years since I was in Edinburgh, living in Comely Bank almost diametrically opposite, and I never really got to that part.
Very impressive write-up in The Scotsman:
"with the singing, bodhran and whistle playing of Andy May accentuating the quintessentially Scottish nature of the play."

Wow! A multi-talented, as well as bilingual, forum member!
PS: a bhodran is ..?

Smile
Peter
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: amayze on stage (and off forum)

sardisson wrote:
Somewhere, some time (last year?) I read something about this being under development, I thought.

I'll look forward to it being released, though I don't envy them. Scots is a modern term for the dialects historically spoken in four or five distinct regions of Scotland, so there are a similar number of spellings for each word!

aussie149 wrote:
PS: a bodhran is ..?

Its one of these.

Andy.

P.S. the "h" makes the "d" silent, so its pronounced "bowrawn" - which is Irish Gaelic, just to confuse language matters further! A.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: amayze on stage (and off forum)

aussie149 wrote:
Very impressive write-up in The Scotsman:
"with the singing, bodhran and whistle playing of Andy May accentuating the quintessentially Scottish nature of the play."

Wow! A multi-talented, as well as bilingual, forum member!

The amazing amayze! Wink

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: amayze on stage (and off forum)

amayze wrote:
sardisson wrote:

I'll look forward to it being released, though I don't envy them. Scots is a modern term for the dialects historically spoken in four or five distinct regions of Scotland, so there are a similar number of spellings for each word!

Actually, looks like it's been available since 2005:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries#Scottish_Gaelic_.28Scotland.29

I don't know how complete it might be, or how active the development of it is, but it exists. I suppose you should be able to find it in the Dictionary Wizard, even, but I don't know if all the dictionaries get listed there....

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: amayze on stage (and off forum)

sardisson wrote:
Actually, looks like it's been available since 2005:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries#Scottish_Gaelic_.28Scotland.29

Not quite!
That dictionary is for Scots Gaelic (as opposed to Irish Gaelic) which is a completely different language again. Gaelic used to be quite widespread, but is strongest (and only really alive now) in the Highlands and Western Isles of Scotland.

Scots is much closer to English and is strongest in the lowlands, Borders and North East of Scotland. There is a Scots dictionary published by Chambers, but I've never seen one for hunspell or anything similar.

Its probably better to give examples:
This page is in Scots: http://sco.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
This one is in Scots Gaelic (and English): http://www.faclair.ac.uk/

Scots isn't taught in schools, and you'll hardly ever here it spoken unless you eavesdrop on a conversation between two speakers, as we're all so polite that when a non-Scots speaker shows up we speak English (cultural imperialism rules! Wink )

Andy.

P.S. In case you're wondering item 3. in my post above says:
It isn't as hard as you might think to understand Scots, particularly when it is well spoken by good actors. Its not much worse than old William Shakespeare to understand.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject:

Ah Embarassed

Well, I've learned something new today Smile

Sorry to falsely raise your hopes Sad

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the wikipedia link - it's just made the day for my expatriate Glaswegian buddy who's living in Portsmouth, NH in the States... (weel doon, cutty sairk!)
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Vacation Notices All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1