· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Autosave
Autosave

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billybones
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject: Autosave

I noticed that the autosave only saves an auto recovery file. There should be an option to autosave the entire file. An auto recovery file is good if the computer crashes, but is not adequate protection against inadvertently closing a program without saving or saving under a new name. I just saved a file under a new name; what happened to the autosave of the prior version? All I have is yesterday's version. Many users would prefer the comfort of knowing that the document is fully saved as protection against loss of information under scenarios other than a computer crash. That is what the term autosave means. Autorecovery and autosave are two separate concepts and both features should be included.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject:

The autosave is designed to protect against machine failures not against stupid user errors like closing a document without saving.

I do not mean to be rude here, I have suffered these mistakes as well, but there is really very little you can do against someone who clicks on conformation buttons without reading them. We cannot save people from their own negligence.

Best wishes,
Oscar

billybones
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Confused Huh? Saving users from "stupid user errors" is exactly what a true autosave feature would do. The classic version of wordperfect had this feature. This is an example of so-called 'improvements' in software actually being the reverse. Once again, please add an autosave option. Thank you.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject:

The AutoRecovery feature is an "enhancement" that OpenOffice.org (the project that NeoOffice is based on) added a few versions ago. I assume they added it because it is faster and presumably interrupts the user's work less.

In any case, I believe that they left the old behavior but it is just turned off by default. To turn the old behavior back on, select the Tools :: Options menu and in the dialog that appears, select the Load/Save :: General item. Check both the AutoRecovery and the Always Create Backup Copy checkboxes. This will drop full document copies into your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.1/user/backup folder each time the AutoRecovery process executes.

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject:

The Autosave function is part of the underlying OpenOffice.org code. It is not something the NeoOffice developers can change. The current scope of the NeoOffice project is limited by resources to keeping a native version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X. Altering OpenOffice.org features is outside that scope.

You can report your feature request in the OpenOffice.org issue tracker to get it on the radar of the core OpenOffice.org developers: http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html

Edit: I see Patrick beat me to it, and corrected me. Very Happy

Last edited by Lorinda on Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
To turn the old behavior back on, select the Tools :: Options menu and in the dialog that appears, select the Load/Save :: General item. Check both the AutoRecovery and the Always Create Backup Copy checkboxes. This will drop full document copies into your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.1/user/backup folder each time the AutoRecovery process executes.

Not according to NeoOffice Help and my experience:

NeoOffice Help wrote:
If the Always create backup copy option is selected, the old version of the file is saved to the backup directory whenever you save the current version of the file.

I did a test with AutoRecovery and Always backup on & crashed NeoOffice. The test.bak file in /backup ("Always create backup") was the version before the last version manually saved (you may copy it and change the extension to .odt). The test.odt_1.odt in /backup (seems to be the AutoRecovery file) was the last AutoRecovery version. Starting NeoOffice after the crash restored the document test.odt fine and completely.
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:43 am    Post subject:

billybones wrote:
Confused Huh? Saving users from "stupid user errors" is exactly what a true autosave feature would do.

billybones,

I agree that this would be a good option (and I think many people will expect one like that, because MS Office has it, as far as I remember). There lingers a request to add this feature (again) at the OpenOffice.org bug tracker system:
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=60853
Maybe it will be added sometime in the future.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1