· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J 1.1 Alpha 1 is available for testing
NeoOffice/J 1.1 Alpha 1 is available for testing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevmck
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:20 pm    Post subject: Praise and one issue

First, praise and kudos for making this happen so quickly. Loads faster and looks great on my G3 laptop. Very exciting!

I have noticed, though, that activating spell-while-you-type and then ctrl-clicking on a word will bring the application to a standstill - and really bogs my system down as well.

- Kevin
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:16 pm    Post subject:

I did some debugging and I found that the underlying OOo code is loading every single spell-checking file for all languages the first time it spell-checks a word. This brings it to a standstill, escpecially if you have limited memory.

I will need to debug this further to see how I can make the OOo code only load the languages that you have explicitly activated spell-checking for.

Patrick
kevmck
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Patrick! You are amazing!

- Kevin
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject:

I have fixed a few bugs that have been reported against NeoOffice/J 1.1 Alpha 1 and I have posted "patch-1". This patch contains fixes for the following bugs:

1. Bugzilla bugs 121, 122, 123, and 124 have been fixed.

2. Full-width justification of RTL text has been fixed.

3. Some random crashes during "Save as PDF" have been fixed.

4. Hanging when clicking on data sources in the Data Source dialog has been fixed.

You can download "patch-1" from the following URL:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/patches/NeoOfficeJ-1.1_Alpha_1-patch-1.tar.gz

Installation instructions for the lastest patch binaries are the same as the Neo/J 0.8.4 patch installation instructions available at http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/download.php#install.

Please help the testing effort and file any bugs that you find in Bugzilla (http://bugzilla.neooffice.org) or post them in this forum.

Patrick
jimlaurent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject:

Great! Thanks for this patch.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject:

I had some time this weekend and fixed a performance problem reported against NeoOffice/J 1.1 Alpha 1 and I have posted "patch-3". This patch contains all of the fixes in "patch-1" plus for the following bugs:

1. Enabling auto-spellcheck causes Neo/J to hang on the first time that text is spellchecked.

You can download "patch-3" from the following URL:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/patches/NeoOfficeJ-1.1_Alpha_1-patch-3.tar.gz

Installation instructions for the lastest patch binaries are the same as the Neo/J 0.8.4 patch installation instructions available at http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/download.php#install.

Please help the testing effort and file any bugs that you find in Bugzilla (http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/) or post them in this forum.

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
naramsin
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

First, many thanks for all your hard work on NeoOfficeJ.javascript:emoticon('Smile')

I just installed patched 2 and saw some problems--hopefully it's just my installation and not a larger problem. The program opens in what seems to be a default state, with the underlined menus, default toolbars, etc. It does not save the settings I make. And when the spell check is activated, even after setting USA English language, ALL words in an existing text are underlined.javascript:emoticon('Crying or Very sad')

Hope it's not too big of a problem. Again, thanks for helping us use this great program!

Cheers,
Naramsin
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject:

naramsin wrote:
I just installed patched 2 and saw some problems--hopefully it's just my installation and not a larger problem. The program opens in what seems to be a default state, with the underlined menus, default toolbars, etc. It does not save the settings I make. And when the spell check is activated, even after setting USA English language, ALL words in an existing text are underlined.javascript:emoticon('Crying or Very sad')

Thanks for the testing my patch out so quickly. You found a bug in my last patch that was causing all of the user preference files to be deleted and recreated every time you ran Neo/J!

Fortunately, the bug was due to a small typo in a script and I have uploaded "patch-3" with the fix.

Download and installation instruction for "patch-3" are here:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=652&start=20

Patrick
A Patrick Fan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Download and installation instruction for "patch-3" are here:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=652&start=20

Patrick

Am I just stupid or does this just link back to this forum?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject:

A Patrick Fan wrote:
Am I just stupid or does this just link back to this forum?

It links back to my posting in this forum (note the "start=20" at the end of the URL) that has the latest download links. I haven't found a better way to link to a specific posting other than to force it to the top of the page.

Patrick
markthacker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:06 am    Post subject: NeoOffice/J 1.1x using lots of disk space ?

Hi there,
This may indeed be a newbie question, but I have installed NeoOffice/J on my older PowerBook G3 series and am having an issue with it using a ton of disk space just to start. the system is stretched thin as it is with only 420 Mb of remaining disk space, but starting NeoOffice with a fairly small StarWriter doc resulted in all disk space being used and the application/OS seemingly locked in an endless cycle of thrashing the disk.

I finally SSH'ed into the system (from my Solaris 10 x86 box) and killed the NeoOffice/J.app process and rebooted. All used disk space recovered.

I am running Patch 1 right now and will be installing patch 3 today as well.

So is it 'normal' for NeoOffice/J to use 400+ meg of disk space just to run?

Thanks in advance!
mark.thacker@writeme.com
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice/J 1.1x using lots of disk space ?

markthacker wrote:
So is it 'normal' for NeoOffice/J to use 400+ meg of disk space just to run?

I don't think Neo/J needs 400+ megs of disk space. However, Neo/J (like OOo 1.1) requires a lot of memory. So if you have limited memory and a few other applications already running, Mac OS X will try to make enough room in memory for Neo/J by moving your existing applications' memory to disk (i.e. swapping).

This is probably what is causing all of the disk thrashing. Since you don't have much available disk space for Mac OS X to swap to, Mac OS X is probably getting bogged down because there is no place to hold the memory for Neo/J and your existing applications.

If you quit all applications and start Neo/J and Neo/J runs OK, that would confirm the above.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject:

I fixed more bugs reported against NeoOffice/J 1.1 Alpha 1 and I have posted "patch-4". This patch contains all of the fixes in "patch-3" plus fixes for the following bugs:

1. "Save as PDF" sometimes causes Neo/J to crash.
2. Saving certain fonts to PDF caused Adobe Acrobat to not be able to render those fonts.

You can download "patch-4" from the following URL:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/patches/NeoOfficeJ-1.1_Alpha_1-patch-4.tar.gz

Please help the testing effort and file any bugs that you find in Bugzilla (http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/) or post them in this forum.

Patrick

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:48 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I fixed more bugs reported against NeoOffice/J 1.1 Alpha 1 and I have posted "patch-4". This patch contains all of the fixes in "patch-3" plus fixes for the following bugs:

1. "Save as PDF" sometimes causes Neo/J to crash.
2. Saving certain fonts to PDF caused Adobe Acrobat to not be able to render those fonts.

You can download "patch-4" from the following URL:

http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/downloads/patches/NeoOfficeJ-1.1_Alpha_1-patch-4.tar.gz

Patrick

Holy frickin' cow. You're on a roll!

I had a thought... Would it be a smart idea to replace the icons and color schemes with a more mac-y version? And second, would it be super-hard to move the menus up to the menu bar? Is that too Neooffice and less Neooffice/J?

Is it just me or has the Mac font-support gotten better? In previous 0.8.4 -type versions a couple of the fonts appeared in the pulldown as squares. Now I can see all of them.

It's insane how well this program works. Keep up the amazing work.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Hello there

I also want to say: thanks so much for doing all this - it's great to be using Ooo with my OSX fonts at last, and all of the rest of it... the only thing that the X11 wins with is the font smoothing (with that famous libfreetype patch going, at least) but NeoOffice/J is just more user-friendly, apart from that. Having just talked a friend through an hour of installing the X11 version over the phone, this is just so simple to set up too - and it runs very smoothly on my tibook 400MHz if I renice NOJ once it's running!

(I am of course also posting here so I get notification if you post any more patches ;)

Neoneophyte rejoicing,

- yoxi
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4