Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - what should I download - newbie Open Source question
what should I download - newbie Open Source question

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karambos
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: what should I download - newbie Open Source question

I'm new to open source and to OSX but not to the Mac. I have a G4 dual 1GHz MDD running OS10.2.8. I ran Mac OS8 and 9 for years and have just gone OSX. I would also like to go "microsoft-free" and someone pointed me to your website.

I'm looking for an open source office package that can open documents created in any of the MS-office software programmes and save them in a format compatible with them.

Someone told me I can't run Apple's X11 (personally, I'm not sure what that is or why I can't run it) on my current OS and therefore I can't use OpenOffice.org v1.1.2 but that there is a NeoOffice/J which runs on my Java backend. Or something.

I am extremely grateful if you could point me in the direction of a software package that I could use.
Luke
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Hello and welcome!

For what you want to do, the simplest option is probably NeoOffice/J 0.8.4. The home page for this project is available from the link in the left margin of this page.

For instructions auf Deutsch, follow the link on the homepage or go straight here http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/de/

There are warnings in the instructions that Neo/J is not yet ready for end users, but do not worry! Most features work fine, and there are few bugs left. You can open, edit, print and save M$ Office documents in their own formats, check spelling in several languages, and most other tasks you could do with the commercial programs. The only features not working are drag-and-drop editing and scroll-wheel mouse support.

If you have more questions, just post them in the Neo/J support forum.

Luke
karambos
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: thanks

many thanks! I'll give it a whirl
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:30 am    Post subject:

On 10.2.x you can still use OpenOffice.org using XFree86...if you want to check OOo out you can just get the OOo installer and it'll install everything it needs to run on a 10.2.8 computer (including XFree86). If looking for a more "Mac" experience, though, you'll probably be happier with NeoJ.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1