· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Alternate icons
Alternate icons

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 3:31 am    Post subject: Alternate icons

I started a new thead to move this topic out of the alpha annoucement one. See the original thread for installation howto.
In http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=652&start=30
ovvldc wrote:
One of the OOo 1.1.2 developers has a substantially prettier version of the icons you might be able to use.

Just tested it. the look is very Gnome/GTK.
I'll probably keep it just to differentiate from the "dark side" look, even if I'm not sure they are better.
ovvldc

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Alternate icons

Max_Barel wrote:
I started a new thead to move this topic out of the alpha annoucement one. See the original thread for installation howto.
In http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=652&start=30
ovvldc wrote:
One of the OOo 1.1.2 developers has a substantially prettier version of the icons you might be able to use.

Just tested it. the look is very Gnome/GTK.
I'll probably keep it just to differentiate from the "dark side" look, even if I'm not sure they are better.

Well, I believe almost anything is an improvement over the Win3.1 feel I get from the standard icons.. <recent Windows convert notification>I never used Gnome, so I wouldn't know what it feels like.</recent Windows convert notification>

I tried the KDE-Look website, but couldn't get the icons to work. The Script gives an error. If someone can fix up a full set of the Aqua icons and any others that look 'Macish' I'd be happy to be the judge in a beauty contest (or just to try it out).
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject:

We do really need some nice icons. IIRC from the last time this came up (here and here), OOo 1.1.x is supposed to support PNGs which gives us transparency and a "better" icon format.

I'm no artist by any stretch of the imagination (you can see that from my lack of creativity/imagination in the NeoJ document icons), but since NeoJ is really "getting there" (rf Ed's work on menus down in Development), perhaps it's time to put out a call to some Mac GUI sites for some GPL Aqua icon designers for NeoJ? If contributors who can understand both the arcane OOo code and Mac programming are hard to find, perhaps icon artists are easier to locate and in some ways just as helpful?

Smokey
ovvldc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
OOo 1.1.x is supposed to support PNGs which gives us transparency and a "better" icon format.

I noticed that the KDE-Look icons are in PNG. Theoretically, that should allow a spiffy brushed metal background and other niceties, right?

sardisson wrote:
I'm no artist by any stretch of the imagination (you can see that from my lack of creativity/imagination in the NeoJ document icons),

Well, there's icons out there. The crystal set that Terry (I think) used in 'Begin OOorg' could be a nice start for document icons.

sardisson wrote:
but since NeoJ is really "getting there" (rf Ed's work on menus down in Development), perhaps it's time to put out a call to some Mac GUI sites for some GPL Aqua icon designers for NeoJ? If contributors who can understand both the arcane OOo code and Mac programming are hard to find, perhaps icon artists are easier to locate and in some ways just as helpful?

<resounding ovation for Ed, lasting a good five minutes>

That is a very good idea. There must be someone with decent graphic skills and willingness to devote time to NeoOffice and gain eternal fame. How did the Mozilla people do that? It took ages before they organised it, but eventually they got some very nice ones. See, for instance:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/skins.html
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=85054
and http://update.mozilla.org/themes/
Must be a willing and able artist in there somewhere.. And there must be dozens of other sites on GUI design which I don't know about.

But this might be something for OO.org to pick up centrally. Of course, the Mac version needs to look different than the Windows version (or maybe they can all look like the Mac one), but all OOo needs new icons on *every* platform..
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject:

I agree.

on that note... could someone type up an explaination on how to install these icons? i swear i can't find this folder you guys are talking about...

Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject:

Hi,

(tilde does not work in that textbox? using $HOME)

cd $HOME/Library/NeoOfficeJ-1.1/user/config/soffice.cfg
cp imagelist.xml imagelist.xml.orig
tar xpzf $HOME/Desktop/ooo_theme_mini.tar.gz

Voila.

Lga.
lga
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject:

On the subject of graphic resources, I would suggest tapping the Mac graphic community. A good starting point might be

http://www.resexcellence.com/

Lga.
kevmck
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject:

Thanks, Lga - that works like a charm! Not sure how to get the KDE icons to do the same, but this is a nice improvement over the default set. Smile

- Kevin
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
sardisson wrote:
OOo 1.1.x is supposed to support PNGs which gives us transparency and a "better" icon format.

I noticed that the KDE-Look icons are in PNG. Theoretically, that should allow a spiffy brushed metal background and other niceties, right?

Theoretically. The problem, as you can see from the File>New... icon in this screenshot in the original thread, is that the rest of the app "background" is all Windows-grey, so you'd only have little bits of brushed metal around the icons clashing with Windows-grey. Sad If you poke around http://www.neooffice.com, you'll see the troubles Ed and Dan had trying to wipe out that grey and replace it with something more Mac-like (at least that's my read of it).

ovvldc wrote:
sardisson wrote:
I'm no artist by any stretch of the imagination (you can see that from my lack of creativity/imagination in the NeoJ document icons),

Well, there's icons out there. The crystal set that Terry (I think) used in 'Begin OOorg' could be a nice start for document icons.

I don't like those much personally, but they are a huge improvement over the stock set in Start OpenOffice.org.... A lot of the KDE OOo (internal) icons I've seen still look very Windows-y, if maybe a bit more XP than 95... The Gnome (?) set that began this all looks a lot more Mac-like, imho, but it's too fuzzy for me (particularly since I'm PowerBook-only). Smile

ovvldc wrote:
<resounding ovation for Ed, lasting a good five minutes>

Ditto (and of course for Patrick; Alpha 1 seems to really have re-energized the NeoOffice(J) "community" here!)

ovvldc wrote:
But this might be something for OO.org to pick up centrally. Of course, the Mac version needs to look different than the Windows version (or maybe they can all look like the Mac one), but all OOo needs new icons on *every* platform..

I'll let someone else tackle that response Wink

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject:

lga wrote:
On the subject of graphic resources, I would suggest tapping the Mac graphic community. A good starting point might be

http://www.resexcellence.com/

I was thinking the same while looking at the latest gorgeous document icon submissions this morning. I was wondering what kind of position ResEx had with respect to the international Mac community, but I guess it's known at least in Paris Smile

Can we/one of us draft a short little "call for volunteers + technical info on OOo internal icons" (I spent some time last night poking around the OOo website but couldn't find anything definitive about the number of icons, descriptions, which format are really supported, etc.), that Patrick can vet and then he or one of us could submit to ResEx and other sites?

Smokey
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:36 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
A lot of the KDE OOo (internal) icons I've seen still look very Windows-y, if maybe a bit more XP than 95... The Gnome (?) set that began this all looks a lot more Mac-like, imho, but it's too fuzzy for me (particularly since I'm PowerBook-only).

Having just downloaded them, there is an "Aqua" set of .png images which are distinctly MacOS X based. So anyone got any pointers on how we do get to use these ones in place of the defaults?

P.S. Is the "fuzziness" of the other set of icons partly due to the 72dpi/96dpi hack that Patrick used for the NO/J interface?

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject:

i believe that there is a folder in the neo/j with all of the icons, so it would be that many...

additionally all of the tool bar ones as well, but those can be discerned from the GNOME ones.

i bet we could write up something...
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:45 pm    Post subject:

JKT wrote:
Having just downloaded them, there is an "Aqua" set of .png images which are distinctly MacOS X based. So anyone got any pointers on how we do get to use these ones in place of the defaults?

P.S. Is the "fuzziness" of the other set of icons partly due to the 72dpi/96dpi hack that Patrick used for the NO/J interface?

!!
where did you find those?
lga
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:

I was thinking the same while looking at the latest gorgeous document icon submissions this morning. I was wondering what kind of position ResEx had with respect to the international Mac community, but I guess it's known at least in Paris

I'm not sure geography has anything to do it, but rather connectivity to MacFixit, Xlr8yourmac, MacInTouch or MacBidouille Smile but when you're looking fo nice icons, that's the place.

Anyway, this is the only other site of the type I have in my bookmarks :
http://www.macmonkies.com/

Lga.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject:

anyone remember this?

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=24

Brand X, it was X11, but had all of the Ximian icons in it.

(just thought i'd bring it up)
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4