· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Partial Download/Continuos Crashes
Partial Download/Continuos Crashes

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Travis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Partial Download/Continuos Crashes

I was trying to download oo on a G4 with OSX.3 iBook, when the display asked me to restart the computer. I did it, but now after that, the system crashes every five minutes or so, showing many strings on the desktop, such as:
System failure cpu=0 code 00000000 debugging trap
Memory access exception
Waiting for remote debugger connection.

Please help! What should I do to recover the system??
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:02 am    Post subject:

Well, unfortunately the download is handled by Safari or other software and has nothing specific to do with OOo. While kernel panics (what you're seeing) are rare, they're usually caused by bad drivers, may be caused by bad memory/bad motherboards, or bona fide bugs in the OS itself. I'd try looking through the Apple support site for any specific help referencing the kernel panic you're seeing.

OpenOffice.org isn't the source of the problem. It does nothing that runs in the kernel so can't directly cause kernel panics. The worst it can do is crash its own process (soffice.bin) and generate one of those "The application foo has suddenly exited...Send info to Apple?" dialog boxes.

ed
Travis
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject:

Thanks, ed. I will appreciate very much your cooperation on this issue, since I'm not able to find any appropriate support for this anywhere on the web.
I'd just like to stress that I'm not blamin' anybody, just trying to understand and recover my system and data.
In this view, how do you explain the request for a remote debugger connection?

Thanks again!
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Kernel panics

Travis wrote:
In this view, how do you explain the request for a remote debugger connection?

Actually if you running Mac OS X 10.2.x or later, this would not be the normal case - normally a kernel panic in Mac OS X 10.2.x or later shows up as a multi-lingual screen telling you to restart (which is what I think you got as the first screen). You have to put a Mac OS X 10.2.x or later machine into a special mode to have to wait for a remote debugger (which is only useful to a programmer).

If you are interested in the gory technical details :

http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2063.html

Constant kernel panics is likely to indicate a buggy software driver, or a hardware problem like bad RAM.

I suggest you seek support from the Apple support discussion forums :

http://www.apple.com/support/

I would also try booting the machine in "safe" mode - hold down the Shift key while booting until you see the words "Safe Mode" (I don't remember the exact wording) appear on the "Welcome to Macintosh" screen. If you don't get any more kernel panics in this situation, the problem is likely caused by a buggy software driver, and you should get advice from the support forums on how to troubleshoot further.

Finally, any reproducible kernel panic that is not caused by bad hardware should be reported as a bug to Apple - you should find a kernel panic log in "/Library/Logs/panic.log" :

http://bugreport.apple.com
(you need to sign up for a free developer account)

or to the Mac OS X feedback address :

http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

Regards, Terry
Travis
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject:

Hi Terry, thanks for your post; here following some clarifications

Yuo wrote
Quote:
normally a kernel panic in Mac OS X 10.2.x or later shows up as a multi-lingual screen telling you to restart (which is what I think you got as the first screen)

this happened for the first 4/5 times

and also wrote
Quote:
Constant kernel panics is likely to indicate a buggy software driver

isn't it possible that a partial download of a new software can cause such a problem?
Anyway, is there any chance for a Safari download to recover prevìious partial downloads?

you also added

Quote:
Finally, any reproducible kernel panic that is not caused by bad hardware should be reported as a bug to Apple - you should find a kernel panic log in "/Library/Logs/panic.log" :

I can find no panic.log in Library/Logs: any reason for that?

Do you think I should mention downloading oo in the Apple discussion forums (considering that it is not an Apple program)?

Thanks very much for your support.

Travis
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject:

The software file you were downloading at the time of the first crash would be irrelevant. It may have been something due to the actual process of downloading (i.e. a system level networking issue) that provoked the crash, but the actual file itself would not be the cause - in other words, it could have been any file from anywhere.

Wrt to your Kernel Panics, had you installed any software recently that may have been the problem, such as a system hack or hardware driver, or a System update that may be conflicting with an old hardware driver? If you have, try uninstalling that to see if it solves the problem. What hardware do you have attached to your mac - anything new? Try disconnecting any devices other than your mouse and keyboard and see if the crashing persists. If it doesn't then one or more of your peripherals is causing the problem.

FWIW, Safari can resume partial downloads if the server from which the file was being downloaded supports resumable downloads.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1