· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Dissapearing buttons off-screen
Dissapearing buttons off-screen

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KenL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Dissapearing buttons off-screen

I find the most annoying aspect of OOo is the dissapearing buttons, menus, and controls from the bottom of many windows that come up off-screen on the bottom of the screen area. I am constantly resizing windows min-max windows, or running the mouse over this area to try to refresh the screen.

I did notice some reference the this issue in the read-me notes (I think). Is everyone experiencing this problem? is there a work-around and a fix in progress? What is the underlying issue that causes this?

I am using a Powerbook 867 with 15" screen size.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject:

Which X11 version are you using? I know with Apple X11 b2 and higher there's a problem with window sizing...it also lets you resize dialogs and other windows that aren't supposed to be resized. If it's not Apple X11 you're using, then it's something I've not seen before...

Are the buttons you see moving off-screen in dialogs (e.g. open/save, tools -> config), or are they in the actual main writer windows themselves? I must admit that I've not tried resizing dialogs myself.

The toolbar buttons in the main windows have a little "spinner" that will appear on top when the toolbar buttons go offscreen so you can flip between the onscreen buttons and the ones that trail off the bottom of the toolbar...kinda more of a Win interface and took me a bit to get used to it. I get the impression that your issue is a bit more general then that, however.

ed
Ken L

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Problem fixed... mostly

Using Apple X11 beta 3

Strange things happen... While looking around at all the extensive options, I stumbled across in Tools:Options:OpenOffice.org:View, the Look & Feel option. I set it to XWindows, and Voila! The Open and Save dialogs opened to the correct size... no more dissapearing buttons and controls! Then I set it back to Standard, the original setting, and the windows were still sized correctly... go figure?

I still have this related problem (as quoted from the release notes):
>>When used with Apple X11 Beta 0.3, windows may exhibit an unavoidable positioning "creep" by the height of the menubar as they are opened. This may result in dialogs eventually being positioned offscreen after long-term usage. <<
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject:

The actual window sizes and positions are stored somewhere in the XML files, so I suspect that switching the "themes" within OOo would have fixed that. AFAIK there is no fix for the Apple X11 b3 window creep issue, which is why it's still a known issue.

It's actually a problem within Apple X11 b3 itself...quartz-wm chooses to offset the window positions by the menubar height, I suspect to do some type of tiling or try to be clever or be more maclike or what have you. There's no direct way that I know of to keep Apple X11 from doing this if you use quartz-wm. This was raised on the Apple X11 mailing lists around the time of beta 3, but unfortunately there's going to be no further releases for jaguar, so b3 users on 10.2 are probably stuck with it Sad

If you really poke around you may be able to find Beta 2 (which doesn't exhibit the window creep bug), but I think Apple pulled the binaries from their servers.

I've never tried apple X11 b3 with a different window manager, but that may solve the issue.

ed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Which X11 version are you using? I know with Apple X11 b2 and higher there's a problem with window sizing...it also lets you resize dialogs and other windows that aren't supposed to be resized. If it's not Apple X11 you're using, then it's something I've not seen before...

Are the buttons you see moving off-screen in dialogs (e.g. open/save, tools -> config), or are they in the actual main writer windows themselves? I must admit that I've not tried resizing dialogs myself.

The toolbar buttons in the main windows have a little "spinner" that will appear on top when the toolbar buttons go offscreen so you can flip between the onscreen buttons and the ones that trail off the bottom of the toolbar...kinda more of a Win interface and took me a bit to get used to it. I get the impression that your issue is a bit more general then that, however.

ed

OPENSTEP wrote:

ed

OPENSTEP wrote:

ed

OPENSTEP wrote:

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1