80%
 80%  [ 16 ]
No
20%
 20%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 20

Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Apple announces Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard"

… which will be released on October 26, 2007.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

For those who bought a new Mac on or after October 1, 2007:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/uptodate/
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject:

And already I am seeing people complaining that they bought a Mac on Sept 28 and how Apple is screwing them over.

Rolling Eyes
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject:

Can you add a 'Later' option to the poll? Smile I'll almost certainly upgrade, but not until I'm sure all the drivers for my bits and pieces are updated first.

- padmavyuha

*edit* This is interesting, didn't know the Finder would do remote:
Quote:
With shared computers automatically displayed in the sidebar, you can find files on any Mac or PC on your network. You can even use Spotlight and Cover Flow when you search another Mac. But here’s where things get really interesting. When you click a connected Mac, you can use screen sharing (if authorized, of course) — which lets you do anything you could do if you were sitting in front of that computer. Change a system preference, publish an iPhoto album, or add a new playlist to iTunes.
MacRat
Sake Horner
Sake Horner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Can you add a 'Later' option to the poll? Smile I'll almost certainly upgrade, but not until I'm sure all the drivers for my bits and pieces are updated first.

Then there is the "I do not play to put Leopard on a PPC"
hi_RAM
Councilperson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject:

Why ? I will wait 10.5.9 Razz
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Yes as soon as the budget can stand the expense.
My iBook is still a baby at 18months old & 1 gig ram should be enough. Confused

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject:

Well, the good news is that now they finally published the full feature list of the operating system so finally I can talk about some of the other things I've been working on for the next version of Neo. The one I'm working on at present is buried under "System":

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html#system

Neo is in the process of being integrated with the system-provided grammar checker in Leopard. UNO bindings are nearly complete but I'm still debugging some issues in returned ranges.

The Leopard QuickLook feature is already supported by Neo 2.2.1+ and has integration with system-provided OpenDocument services to dynamically choose between our preview and the system preview depending on which will provide a better result for the given document:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html#textedit

This provides document views for both Preview as well as CoverFlow using vector formats for the best resolution.

Our Spotlight plugin in Neo 2.2.1+ has been updated to be compatible with 10.5 and also automatically falls back on better system provided OpenDocument indexing support when available.

There are also other features that should work with Neo, but not because of anything special we did...

The enhanced Help menu integration for searching menu structure works under English; I have not tried under other languages. It does not index the Neo/OOo online help, however, so is restricted to only finding menu items. We'd need to change help formats to get them indexed, and that isn't on our to-do list at this time.

Due to the work Patrick did on native spellchecking integration and language support, we should already support the new Russian and Danish spellchecking out of the box:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html#international

Since Patrick uses the native Cocoa open and save dialogs, the iLife media browser in open panels should work for finding iLife content (though I haven't tried that one myself).

By far the best news has been that we've been able to continually work on Neo for Leopard during the entire Leopard development cycle. We've already fixed numerous 10.5 incompatibilities prior to the shipping of the new operating system, including one found very recently that broke our installer and language packs (which led to the 2.2.2 release). Hopefully, with fingers crossed, we should be fully compatible with 10.5 on the day of its released and already have some enhancements in place for the new operating system and are working on others. I believe this will be the first time we've been able to have the resources to accomplish that.

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
The Leopard QuickLook feature is already supported by Neo 2.2.1+ and has integration with system-provided OpenDocument services to dynamically choose between our preview and the system preview depending on which will provide a better result for the given document

So that means we'll be able to use TextEdit's .odt support to view the entire document through QuickLook (not just the first page PDF created by Neo), as well as using .odt docs in iChat Theater?

OPENSTEP wrote:
The enhanced Help menu integration for searching menu structure works under English; I have not tried under other languages. It does not index the Neo/OOo online help, however, so is restricted to only finding menu items. We'd need to change help formats to get them indexed, and that isn't on our to-do list at this time.

Question
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
So that means we'll be able to use TextEdit's .odt support to view the entire document through QuickLook (not just the first page PDF created by Neo), as well as using .odt docs in iChat Theater?

No. It means that if there is a PDF from NeoOffice in your ODF file, you get that. If not, it falls back to Apple's on-the-fly ODF processing.

I think we have to clarify here that while Apple's on-the-fly QuickLook rendering of ODF files isn't limited to a single page, the quality of the rendering is not high. Sure, opening an ODF file in TextEdit will be high quality, but QuickLook was designed for getting a quick preview of all your files in a folder so Apple's QuickLook ODF viewer only grabs text and images and will ignore more complex items like tables, frames, etc.

In contrast, NeoOffice's QuickLook ODF viewer provides a high quality rendering of the first page for this preview effect. But like Apple's viewer, our intent is not to provide a complete rendering of large documents as that, IMHO, is an excellent way to bring a machine to crawl.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject:

Few people use iChat anyway Wink

Anyway, thanks for all these new features Smile
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject:

All this sounds wonderful, although I don't plan on upgrading to Leopard any time soon. I'm just not the early adopter type.

One thing that troubles me is the description of the Spring-Loaded dock

Quote:
Just drag a file, hover over any application in the Dock, and press the Space bar — the application opens instantly.

(http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html#desktop

Right now all I have to do to do that will most files and apps is drag the file to the app icon on the dock and release. Pressing the space bar sounds like more work.

Doesn't affect Neo much for my workflow, but there are several apps where I'm accustomed to drag and release.

Lorinda
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
Few people use iChat anyway Wink

Anyway, thanks for all these new features Smile

I do have ideas on how to add in iChat theater support for delivering Impress presentations but have focused on grammar checking to start with. We have access to the underlying Cocoa window but will need to develop an interface for discovering and/or initiating video chats.

Ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject:

I just looked through the list, and while there are some useful features, a lot of it is more interlinking options and eye-candy (who wants to put his mac to sleep by (accidentally) moving the mouse pointer into a corner).

I will see what I get if and when I buy a new Mac. And that isn't going to happen until they get a decent IGP and mercury-free displays on the MacBook.

Best wishes,
Oscar

Last edited by ovvldc on Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject:

I always forget Sad that when we don't hear from Ed much, it means he's deep at work in code for some awesome new feature Wink

The 10.5 supports sounds pretty spectacular; great work as always, guys!

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I just looked through the list, and while there are some useful features, a lot of it is more interlinking options and eye-candy (who wants to put his mac to sleep by (accidentally) moving the mouse pointer into a corner).

I do have to agree. I remember the 2006 slide of "top secret features" which developers couldn't be told about. In the end I don't really think they materialized Smile

On its own from a user's perspective, I don't really see that much that warrants paying for 10.5. From an engineering perspective, however, it really is full of lots of great "enabling" technologies and APIs that can really allow for some amazing programs to be written. Personally, I will not be moving to 10.5 for my day to day usage for some time since it breaks projects for me.

Needless to say, we're still going to be adding features to take advantage of 10.5, but we'll still be supporting 10.4 (of course) and 10.3 (though we're encountering more and more errors unique to gcc 3.3 and 10.3 lately).

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3