NeoOffice :: View topic - Downloading NeoOffice
Downloading NeoOffice

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice/C Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drofluf
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:06 am    Post subject: Downloading NeoOffice

Is there a problem with the server?

When I click on the link it times out and using iGetter it never connects, just seems to remain waiting?

Thanks

Paul
fa
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:50 am    Post subject:

Well, Ed only has 10k uplink cause he's on DSL, so expect it to be slow. For example, when the Flaming Yeti build was release, his server was pretty much jammed for a couple of days.

Plus, doesn't iGetter use multiple connections to grab pieces of the file? Thats really really evil (forgive me if iGetter does not do this). As a server operator myself with limited bandwidth, if someone using a splitting download manager like this sucks up all the bandwidth, then nobody else is able to get anything until that person is done. It gets the file quickly for that one person, but screws everybody else.

Anyway, just keep trying. Ed was having some DNS issues a couple days ago too. He's going to increase his uplink speed as well.

Dan
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject:

fa wrote:
Plus, doesn't iGetter use multiple connections to grab pieces of the file? Thats really really evil (forgive me if iGetter does not do this).

If the link is timing out, there may be a number of reasons, including the following:

There are already 2 anonymous users connected.
    The bandwidth cap has been reached.
    The bandwidth shaper has given more priority to a registered CVS user.
    I unplugged the cable since I need the bandwith to get OOo to a mirror.
    iGetter does use multiple conections.

If that last one is in fact true, your IP may have been blacklisted on the server for a couple of hours. The server has anti-hammering provisions in place that drop machines that try to make multiple connections. Unfortunately, this means from my server at least, SpeedDownload style customers will be hosed Sad I'm going to try to set up a BitTorrent server this weekend so people wanting to get it can mutually leech off of each other for when my connection maxes out.

The logic behind why I set up the server so anally are in the NeoFTP FAQ. Basically, in this style of configuration it serves to guarantee that if you get a connection, you should get 8K/s speeds. I tried setting up a free-for-all server before, and it just got hammered to the point where no one could get more then 200 bytes per second.

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Re:Server load

OPENSTEP wrote:
If the link is timing out, there may be a number of reasons, including the following:

There are already 2 anonymous users connected.
    The bandwidth cap has been reached.
    The bandwidth shaper has given more priority to a registered CVS user.
    I unplugged the cable since I need the bandwith to get OOo to a mirror.
    iGetter does use multiple conections.

The logic behind why I set up the server so anally are in the NeoFTP FAQ. Basically, in this style of configuration it serves to guarantee that if you get a connection, you should get 8K/s speeds. I tried setting up a free-for-all server before, and it just got hammered to the point where no one could get more then 200 bytes per second.

ed

Trying to download the OOo 1.0.3RC1 image using "ftp" from the Mac OS X command line - Wednesday, it was going to take about 7-8 hours (I was on a T1 line) - I gave up after an hour; Thursday, initially there were too many anonymous users so I couldn't download; later in the day, the download was going to take 35-50 hours (same T1 line) - I was probably getting 1.5 Kb/sec - I gave up after several hours.

It might be quicker for you to burn a CD and express mail it to someone with better bandwidth, to upload it to a mirror, such as OOoDocs Smile

Regards, Terry
drofluf
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Plus, doesn't iGetter use multiple connections to grab pieces of the file? Thats really really evil (forgive me if iGetter does not do this).

I've set iGetter to use only 1 segment - is that the same thing since there is no option to control the number of connections.

Also trying with a command line ftp since that seems to be less evil Very Happy

Other than that thanks for the feedback - I'll just be patient

Paul
drofluf
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject:

Can now get an ftp connection but it doesn't seem to like my username/password - I've tried blanks for both and my neooffice id and password but neither work

Is there an account that I can use?

Paul
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject:

Use the username "anonymous" and anything as the e-mail address. That should allow you to login.

The FTP server lives on a different machine, so the username/pass is distinct from the forums.

ed
hanoman
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re:Server load

Terry Teague wrote:

Trying to download the OOo 1.0.3RC1 image using "ftp" from the Mac OS X command line - Wednesday, it was going to take about 7-8 hours (I was on a T1 line) - I gave up after an hour; Thursday, initially there were too many anonymous users so I couldn't download; later in the day, the download was going to take 35-50 hours (same T1 line) - I was probably getting 1.5 Kb/sec - I gave up after several hours.

It might be quicker for you to burn a CD and express mail it to someone with better bandwidth, to upload it to a mirror, such as OOoDocs Smile

Regards, Terry

Just try to download it from openoffice.org. It will be much faster.

Hans
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject:

(experiencing the joys of 28.8 dialup...now have much appreciation for lacking of bandwidth)

The full GM image of the OpenOffice.org installer and localizer are in the main mirror network. The tarball is still not there, more as it wasn't ready in time. It should still be available here and also on the .Mac mirror.

ed
dragonmac
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:28 am    Post subject: What .mac acct?

OPENSTEP wrote:
(experiencing the joys of 28.8 dialup...now have much appreciation for lacking of bandwidth)

The full GM image of the OpenOffice.org installer and localizer are in the main mirror network. The tarball is still not there, more as it wasn't ready in time. It should still be available here and also on the .Mac mirror.

ed

I have been trying to DL your Flaming Yeti build and still no luck. I have been here before as a guest over the last couple of days on differnt networks and still I can't DL. So I join, no good. Is there a mirror I can got?? .mac acct??

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Mirrors

Yes, there is at least one mirror: http://schlesi.is-a-geek.org:8080/NeoOffice/index.html .

You can download there NeoOffice and NeoOffice/J - ready to run or the sourcecode. But NeoOffice is not the "flaming yeti", it's built of CVS-code of 09/06/03. The server is located in Germany and connected via 1024/128kBit-ADSL.

Thomas
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject:

My servers have also been down and up over the last few days...(thanks a lot Verizon...)...

You'll also have trouble getting into the FTP server with Safari, I believe. Try command-line FTP, Transfer, etc. since they'll actually report the error messages (like no more anonymous users allowed) properly to you instead of complaining about dead links.

ed
morph3ous

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: I just mirrored the files

I put a mirror of the files up here:
http://neooffice.bustininc.com

The connection should be very fast. I hope this helps everyone out. I really admire what everyone is doing with this project, and this is my way of saying "Keep up the good work." I'll keep it up indefinitely unless the bandwidth use kills my hosting provider.

The builds of NeoOffice are unfortunately the ones that don't work on Panther. Can anyone get me the CVS build based on 1.1? I could put that up as well (and use it).
schlesi
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject:

morph3ous,

you can download a Panther-enabled and OOO-1.1-based version of NeoOffice via Bittorrent here: http://schlesi.is-a-geek.org:8080/NeoOffice/NeoOffice.dmg.Z.torrent.

Thomas[/url]
morph3ous

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:31 am    Post subject: Thanks

Thank you, I will do that shortly.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice/C Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2