Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - puzzled by the online update feature
puzzled by the online update feature

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afterhours
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: puzzled by the online update feature

I've been trying to follow the help guide for the online update feature.... something I thought I remembered from v1.x days. The help guide outlines using it, but I can't do a 'custom' install, find the proper settings, nor does the patch install the option.

So if this is NOT part of the package, please remove references to it in the help guide, or even better, update the help guide to explain why this feature is NOT part of the application.

Thank you.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject:

To be honest, I didn't realize that that particular feature in NeoOffice's OpenOffice.org code was even visible when the product name is not OpenOffice.org.

But now that we know it is, I will look at how hard it would be to wire the existing functionality to query our website. After all, we like people to get the latest patch and the easier it is for people to check if they have the latest, the less likely users will get bitten by a bug that we've already fixed.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have added the OpenOffice.org online update feature into NeoOffice and modified it slightly to work with our web server's patch checking. If you download the test patch in bug 2697, you will see a Help :: Check for Online Updates... menu as described in the NeoOffice help. In addition, you will see the new configuration option Tools :: Options :: NeoOffice :: OnlineUpdate.

By default, the online update is enabled but starting with the upcoming NeoOffice 2.2.2 Patch 1 (and, of course, this test patch), the old method for disabling it will now be through Tools :: Options :: NeoOffice :: OnlineUpdate as specified in the NeoOffice Help and the old method of touching files will be eliminated.

One cool thing about this new feature is that the automatic weekly patch checking will run silently. Only if there is a new NeoOffice patch or release will any dialogs appear.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject:

Nice. Thanks Smile
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject:

If I don't hear anything horribly wrong with my latest changes, I'll release Patch 1 this Wednesday with this new feature.

What this means is that starting with NeoOffice 2.2.2 Patch 1, this NeoWiki article will have some changes. I have already removed all references to the donation page in the NeoWiki article as we stopped displaying the donation page during patch checking several months ago.

Starting with Patch 1, here are the things in the NeoWiki article that will change:

1. The default patch checking interval will be every 7 days instead of 15. The update check will occur silently if there are no new patches.

2. Patch checking can be disabled (or the interval changed) by selecting the Tools :: Options menu and, in the dialog that appears, clicking on NeoOffice :: Online Update and changing any of the preferences in that panel.

3. Patch checking can be done manually by selecting the Help :: Check for Updates... menu.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have updated the NeoWiki article. I copied the new English text into the French and Italian pages as well.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1