· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Fails at Converting Fonts convert_lucida.sh
Fails at Converting Fonts convert_lucida.sh

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Fails at Converting Fonts convert_lucida.sh

All,
I've done lots of searches for this particular problem but haven't found the answer.

Environment:
PowerBook G4 500MHz 768 RAM
I'm up to date with the OS updates 10.3.3+

I've got Fink & Fink Commander v.5.3 installed.
I've got Apple's X11 installed (Fink and xterm run fine)

Trying to install OpenOffice.org 1.0.3

When I mount and start the Install_OpenOffice.org program, I get through all the windows where I select stuff (normal install with all defaults), install goes fine until it's almost done (as indicated by the status bar), when the dialog displays "Converting Fonts". Looks like the running script is convert_lucida.sh. I read somewhere that this script is converting all the fonts. I haven't (knowingly) added any new fonts, so I think it's got the set that it ships with.
I've read somewhere about fondu, and the symbol font, but can't find those posts again.

Any suggestions on how to get this thing installed?

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fails at Converting Fonts convert_lucida.sh

Chris wrote:
I've got Fink & Fink Commander v.5.3 installed.
I've got Apple's X11 installed (Fink and xterm run fine)

Trying to install OpenOffice.org 1.0.3

When I mount and start the Install_OpenOffice.org program, I get through all the windows where I select stuff (normal install with all defaults), install goes fine until it's almost done (as indicated by the status bar), when the dialog displays "Converting Fonts". Looks like the running script is convert_lucida.sh. I read somewhere that this script is converting all the fonts.

Using Terminal can you confirm that the "convert_lucida.sh" script and/or "fondu" is still running, or not?

After the font conversion, pretty much the last thing the OOo 1.0.3 installer does is :

Code:
ln -s /usr/local/lib/libdl.dylib "$USER_INSTALL_DIR$$/$program$/$libdl.0.dylib"

Maybe there is a conflict with your Fink installation.

If you kill the installer, is the OOo installation folder in the expected place - if so, have you actually tried running OOo? - it may just work fine in spite of the problem you have.

Regards, Terry
Chris

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Terry is a star

Terry,
Thanks for the reply.
Here's my reponses.
Quote:
Using Terminal can you confirm that the "convert_lucida.sh" script and/or "fondu" is still running, or not?

Yes, running top, showed the script running and consuming resources. I let it run for a couple days.
Quote:
If you kill the installer, is the OOo installation folder in the expected place - if so, have you actually tried running OOo? - it may just work fine in spite of the problem you have.

I killed the process, and yes, it turns out that OOo is in the expected place (Applications), and though it's slow to start (about 2 mins), seems to run fine. I haven't crashed it yet. I'll be using it for the next couple days to see how it does. I really don't want to use Microsoft Office.
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fails at Converting Fonts convert_lucida.sh

Chris wrote:
Quote:

Yes, running top, showed the script running and consuming resources. I let it run for a couple days.

That seems to indicate that there is a problem with one of your fonts.

Chris wrote:
I killed the process, and yes, it turns out that OOo is in the expected place (Applications), and though it's slow to start (about 2 mins), seems to run fine. I haven't crashed it yet. I'll be using it for the next couple days to see how it does. I really don't want to use Microsoft Office.

While 500 MHz isn't exactly the speediest machine, it probably shouldn't take 2 mins to launch OOo - again this is likely caused by a bad font - while I haven't experienced this myself personally, there have been several reports like this.

You might want to read the following bug report on the subject :

http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=18436

Regards, Terry
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject:

The first launch after an install will take a long time to launch as it's rebuilding its font cache, finding metrics, and the like. After the pspfontcache file is built it should be quicker to launch. You may have a problem font though. The Asian ones that sometimes get installed with default OS X installations prove somewhat problematic.

Also, OOo doesn't use the standard Mac OS X font utilities for its X11 builds so it does need to load all of the truetype fonts it converts into memory. If you have a gaggle of fonts, this will suck away launch time as well as swap space. It's expected behaviour, and there's no workaround for the X11 builds.

ed
snides

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Having the same problem with the 1.1.12 install

I am having the same problem, with the installer hanging on the 'convert_lucida.sh' step while doing an install of the just-released version 1.1.12 of the non-neo port.

So perhaps the problem is at least a little bigger than just one person's corrupted font files...
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Having the same problem with the 1.1.12 install

snides wrote:
I am having the same problem, with the installer hanging on the 'convert_lucida.sh' step while doing an install of the just-released version 1.1.12 of the non-neo port.

So perhaps the problem is at least a little bigger than just one person's corrupted font files...

Yes, this is a known problem with the OOo 1.1.2 Final Installer - read the Installer FAQ at the top of this forum. I suspect the problem various people saw with previous Installers was also the same, but we didn't realize it at the time.

Regards, Terry
Carl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: font hang here too

I have an absolutely vanilla font set -- just what 10.3.4 puts on my iMac. There is definitely a bug, and given that it appears to show up on an awful lot of people's install attempts, I would recommend someone with good debug tools (which ain't me) see just what is hanging the shell script up -- or write in a bypass if it really is due to that one lucida font.
I killed the script from the terminal window and then OO.o ran just great.
(Using apple's X11)

Carl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:11 am    Post subject:

I'm having (well, had) the issue with a persistent "Installing Fonts" during the convert_lucida.sh bit (upgrading from 1.0.1.3b to 1.1.2) (I'm running OS X 10.3 -- clean install over original 10.1->upg->10.2)

I have the following threads (among many others)..
8115 ?? S 0:00.02 sh /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/convert_lucida.s
8642 ?? S 0:00.05 /usr/bin/find . -name *.ttf -not -size 0 -exec /bin/m
8843 ?? S 0:00.00 /bin/mv ./Vera.ttf /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.

I'm guessing (without much experience) that it's hanging at the Vera font(s) specifically. I'm not a power user.

I killed each of the /bin/mv ./Vera[*].ttf ... processes as they appeared (kill <pid>; ps -ax // repeat). After killing the Mono, Se(rif), Bold and Italic permutations, the install finished (in the GUI windows)

Hope this helps.

-- chriso at staygood do net
Carl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Thanks -- workaround does work

Thanks to Terry for posting the detailed update in the FAQ sticky topic, and to ChrisO for posting essentially the same instructions.

I would strongly urge the team to update the installer -- reason being that I've had pretty good success in the past getting "average," i.e. non-software non-tech, people to switch to OOo, and these are the sort of people who will run screaming into the clutches of Redmond if an installer hangs.

OK, now off to beg for the option to put any&all toolbars vertically on the left Smile .
Carl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Fails at Converting Fonts convert_lucida.sh

I was able to kill the hung process as well and the installer immediately finished.

Installation appears to be complete.

Hope somebody can find and patch this so we can get it up to the OSX download page. For now I don't thing it would be a good idea to expose newbies to this installer bug.

Tim JsD Quinn
somedude

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject:

As mentioned somewhere above, some Asian fonts may be the culprit. So I fired up the ol' Font Book, disabled ALL of my Asian fonts, and reran the installation. Went off without a hitch.
HTH.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject:

a guest wrote above at Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:11 am:
> I killed each of the /bin/mv ./Vera[*].ttf ... processes as they appeared

my installation was still hung overnight (40% cpu and 1GB of vmem for many hours), and i tried this trick and it worked. it was quite a pain to have to monitor and kill each of these individually though.

i had to kill the mv processes for:

#GungSeoRegular.ttf
#HeadLineARegular.ttf
#PCMyungjoRegular.ttf
#PilGiRegular.ttf
.Keyboard.ttf
.LastResort.ttf
AlBayan.ttf
AlBayanBold.ttf
AmericanTypewriter.ttf
AmericanTypewriterBold.ttf
AmericanTypewriterCondensed.ttf
AmericanTypewriterCondensedBold.ttf
AmericanTypewriterCondensedLight.ttf
AmericanTypewriterLight.ttf
Apple Symbols.ttf
AppleGothicRegular.ttf
AppleMyungjoRegular.ttf
ArialHB.ttf
ArialHBBold.ttf
Ayuthaya.ttf
Baghdad.ttf
Baskerville.ttf
BaskervilleBold.ttf
BaskervilleBoldItalic.ttf
BaskervilleItalic.ttf
BaskervilleSemiBold.ttf
BaskervilleSemiBoldItalic.ttf
Beijing.ttf
BiauKai.ttf
BigCaslonMedium.ttf
Chalkboard.ttf
CharcoalCY.ttf
Cochin.ttf
CochinBold.ttf
CochinBoldItalic.ttf
CochinItalic.ttf
Copperplate.ttf
CopperplateBold.ttf
CopperplateBold.ttf
CopperplateLight.ttf
Corsiva.ttf
CorsivaBold.ttf
Courier.ttf
CourierBold.ttf
DecoTypeNaskh.ttf
DevanagariMT.ttf
DevanagariMTBold.ttf
Didot.ttf
DidotBold.ttf
DidotItalic.ttf
EuphemiaCASBold.ttf
EuphemiaCASItalic.ttf
EuphemiaCASRegular.ttf
FuturaCondensedExtraBold.ttf
FuturaCondensedMedium.ttf
FuturaMedium.ttf
FuturaMediumItalic.ttf
Geeza Pro Bold.ttf
Geeza Pro.ttf
Geeza.ttf
Geneva.ttf
GenevaCY.ttf
GillSans.ttf
GillSansBold.ttf
GillSansBoldItalic.ttf
GillSansItalic.ttf
GillSansLight.ttf
GillSansLightItalic.ttf
GujaratiMT.ttf
GujaratiMTBold.ttf
Gurmukhi.ttf
HeiRegular.ttf
Helvetica.ttf
HelveticaBold.ttf
HelveticaCYBold.ttf
HelveticaCYBoldOblique.ttf
HelveticaCYOblique.ttf
HelveticaCYPlain.ttf
HelveticaNeue.ttf
HelveticaNeueBold.ttf
HelveticaNeueBoldItalic.ttf
HelveticaNeueCondensedBlack.ttf
HelveticaNeueCondensedBold.ttf
HelveticaNeueItalic.ttf
HelveticaNeueLight.ttf
HelveticaNeueLightItalic.ttf
HelveticaNeueUltraLight.ttf
HelveticaNeueUltraLightItalic.ttf
Herculanum.ttf
KaiRegular.ttf
Krungthep.ttf
KufiStandarGK.ttf
LucidaGrande.ttf
LucidaGrandeBold.ttf
MarkerFeltThin.ttf
MarkerFeltWide.ttf
Monaco.ttf
MonacoCY.ttf
MshtakanBold.ttf
MshtakanBoldOblique.ttf
MshtakanOblique.ttf
MshtakanRegular.ttf
Nadeem.ttf
NewPeninimMT.ttf
NewPeninimMTBold.ttf
NewPeninimMTBoldInclined.ttf
NewPeninimMTInclined.ttf
NISC18030.ttf
OptimaBold.ttf
OptimaBoldItalic.ttf
OptimaExtraBlack.ttf
OptimaItalic.ttf
OptimaRegular.ttf
Osaka-Mono.ttf
Osaka.ttf
Papyrus.ttf
PlantagenetCherokee.ttf
Raanana.ttf
RaananaBold.ttf
Sathu.ttf
SeoulRegular.ttf
Silom.ttf
SkiaRegular.ttf
SongRegular.ttf
Symbol.ttf
Taipei.ttf
Thonburi.ttf
TimesBold.ttf
TimesBoldItalic.ttf
TimesCY.ttf
TimesCYBold.ttf
TimesCYBoldItalic.ttf
TimesCYItalic.ttf
TimesItalic.ttf
TimesRoman.ttf
Vera.ttf
VeraBd.ttf
VeraBI.ttf
VeraIt.ttf
VeraMoBd.ttf
VeraMoBI.ttf
VeraMoIt.ttf
VeraMono.ttf
VeraSe.ttf
VeraSeBd.ttf
ZapfDingbats.ttf
Zapfino.ttf
M-eM^DM-7M-eM-.M^K Pro.ttf
M-eM^DM-7M-iM-;M^Q Pro.ttf
M-eM^MM^NM-fM^VM^GM-dM-;M-?M-eM-.M^K.ttf
M-eM^MM^NM-fM^VM^GM-eM-.M^KM-dM-=M^S.ttf
M-eM^MM^NM-fM^VM^GM-fM-%M-7M-dM-=M^S.ttf
M-eM^MM^NM-fM^VM^GM-gM-;M^FM-iM-;M^Q.ttf
M-eM^MM^NM-fM^VM^GM-iM-;M^QM-dM-=M^S.ttf
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject:

Criminy - did it actually let any fonts *through*? {8<>

- yoxi

Last edited by yoxi on Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1