· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Arabic Support Feedback
Arabic Support Feedback

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Turki
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:48 am    Post subject: Arabic Support Feedback

Ok people I'm starting this thread in hopes that Arabic users would combine their posts in one thread to ease it for Patrick to keep track Smile

Now I have to say great job Patrick your a savior for us Arabic Mac users, Thanks a million.

Well I've only found one annoying bug at the moment. it aint a serious one but an annoying one. When writing in Arabic the out put gets all mixed up and wrong. This is only a display problem while writing as if I scroll the page to make the text disappear and scroll back it appears perfect. Hope I was clear in explaining.

Once again Thanks and great work.

JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Arabic Support Feedback

This may not be unique to arabic as I have noticed that my english text also exhibits occasional display artefacts (such as a line becoming compressed vertically, or the displayed kerning getting crushed). As you say, this is resolved by performing some other action such as scrolling or, for me at least, selecting and deselecting the text.

Cheers,

Jonathan

P.S. I am predominantly seeing this with the TrueType font Avant Garde Mono ITCTT (but that could simply be because it is specified as my default font in NO/J - it may well happen with other fonts).

NO/J alpha 1.1 with patch 10 applied

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
JKT
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject:

This is an example of a minor artefact - the arrow indicates the odd compression of the e and c. I'll post a few other images if the more extreme cases occur in the near future.

Please visit The Land Gallery at http://www.thelandgallery.com for nature-inspired British Fine Art
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Arabic Support Feedback

Turki wrote:
Well I've only found one annoying bug at the moment. it aint a serious one but an annoying one. When writing in Arabic the out put gets all mixed up and wrong. This is only a display problem while writing as if I scroll the page to make the text disappear and scroll back it appears perfect. Hope I was clear in explaining.

I usually test Arabic input using the Lucida Grande font since I know that it has Arabic glyphs and I don't have any kerning problems.

What may be happening is one of the following 2 things:

1. You are using a font that does not have Arabic glyphs and Neo/J is automatically substituting another glyph. You can verify tihs by highlighting your text, changing it to another font and then changing it to a Arabic font like Geeza Pro or Lucida Grande. Even setting one of these fonts before you type any text will not actually change the font as there is a bug (which I am working on right now) where the OOo code automatically switches the font to some random font when you type the first chracter.

2. You are using a font that has the same name as another font on your system (i.e. duplicate fonts) and Neo/J is getting mixed up as to which font to use. This probably is described in bug #150 at http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/ which I have fixed and I will be putting out a patch for soon.

Do either of these situations appear to match what you are seeing?

Patrick
Turki
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,

Its seems you were right the first time. I tested again this time I changed the font to Geeza Pro and it worked fine no problems at all and full RTL support. When using a none Arabic font I get the problem mentioned before. I guess I should have checked the font first Smile

Keep up the good work. I finally can open and read Arabic files from Word, PowerPoint and Excel. Something Arab users have been asking for for ages. Keep up the great work and if there is anything I can do to help let me know.

I'll let you know if anything else comes up.

Now if only we had a mac interface? Ya I'm gready Very Happy

rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject:

Hi Patrick, et al,

I currently have an Arabic user working in the World Scout Bureau central offcie so we are able to help with this area of testing. Once we saw the post about using Geeza Pro, we were able to resolve the behavioural problem we were having!

He is now committed to using NeoOffice in place of Nisus Writer or MS Office in order to help with the testing process. So far, no problems.

On the subject of right to left menus and button bars, he prefers that, as long as the menus are not in Arabic, not to have them 'reversed'. He would prefer that you disable the feature in order that he can set System Preferences>International>Language to Arabic then English (which gives him the benefit of Google in Arabic in Safari, for example) without this affecting the standard left to right menu configuration of NeoOffice.

(As his system administrator, I found it bizarre to be working in his NeoOffice>Tools>Options menus with everything reversed positionally. Nonetheless, an interesting insight to how odd things must look from the opposite perspective normally!)

Trust this feedback helps.

Ray
M-Rick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject:

I have experienced a problem with Arabic on another computer.

When selectic Arabic in the keyboard menu, NeoOffice doesn't write the Arabic characters but the normal letters ... Checked in the options, and CTL was enabled, all was seted up coretly, so I tried on my computer and it works. If someone has expereinced the same problem or have solutions I'm ready to ake them.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1