Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Couldn't contact spell checker problem (again)
Couldn't contact spell checker problem (again)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrT
Sentinel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Can't unmount quick enough. Isn't there some way to use unix to identify open files and (1) close files or kill the processes or (2) remove startup items?
Thanks.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject:

DrT wrote:
Can't unmount quick enough. Isn't there some way to use unix to identify open files and (1) close files or kill the processes or (2) remove startup items?
Thanks.

Open the /Applications/Utilites/Activity Monitor application, double-click on a process, and in the dialog that appears, and select the Open Files and Ports tab.

My recommendation is to look at the "mdimport" process first as that is the SpotLight file indexer and it might be crawling through your mounted volumes. If mdimporter is one of the culprits, open System Preferences, click on the SpotLight icon, and select the Privacy tab. Drag your remote volumes into that tab pane to turn off SpotLight indexing of those volumes. At that point, see if the Open Files and Ports tab in Acivity Monitor shows less files open. If so, try unmounting the volume.

Patrick
DrT
Sentinel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Sorry for the problems solving the problem, but I do not have a mdimport process running, SysPref/spotlight/privacy will not accept the volumes dragged onto the dialogue (any), and I cannot quit all processes that show locations on mhdg5 within the Files and Ports tabs (e.g., Dock, Finder, loginwindow, SysUIServer).

New suggestions?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Those processes shouldn't be opening any files on remote volumes unless you have put your home directory on the remote volume.

If that is that case, then maybe we should change our tactics and try removing all of the cocoASpell files that you found on that volume and rebooting. Is that feasible to do?

Patrick
DrT
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Clarification: I'm very sorry, but maybe I missed explaining an important point regarding virtual vs. real. I have two physical drives: (1) internal drive on Dual 2.3GHz G5 running OS X 10.4.10, which is partitioned into three virtual volumes; and (2) external firewire drive that is partitioned into three corresponding volumes (to allow back up). Might this contribute to the original problems and our unmounting problems?
WoodDMco
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Damnable "Couldn't contact spell checker" fixed fo

I've had the same problem, and traced it to the Spelling Preference Pane (accessible under System Preferences under the Other heading). Deleting this removed my problem. Installing a more recent version (in my case, of CocoAspell version 2.0.4.ppc) appears to work without affecting NeoOffice.

Hope this helps...
DMW
DrT
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Couldn't contact spell checker fixed!?

To all who have tried to help me, THANKS!

I think I found the problem. It was the .csstore files in Library/Caches at the root level of the drives. This was an idea that was suggested by Evan Gross, who created SpellCatcher.

I deleted the .csstore files both in my startup drive and in the drive on which NeoOffice.app resides. Problem fixed!

Should this experience be put somewhere other than this forum?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject:

We can add your steps to the NeoWiki article. But first one question: do you delete all *.csstore files in /Library/Caches or just a specific one? If just a specific one, what was its name?

Patrick
DrT
Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: .csstore deletion

Patrick:
In OS X 10.4.11, there are two:
boot volume name/library/caches/com.apple.LaunchServices-0140.csstore boot volume name/library/caches/com.apple.LaunchServices-014501.csstore

I checked my other volume, from which I also deleted these files, and they do not exist there after reboot, so the problem very likely lay only in the boot volume cache directory.

I did not know which file was corrupt so I deleted both.

Procedure, according to Evan Gross:
(1) Move files to trash (do not empty trash)
(2) Reboot
(3) Immediately empty trash
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have posted your steps in this NeoWiki article. I also copied the English text into the matching French and Italian pages.

Patrick
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Patrick. Translated in French.

Jacqueline
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2