· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - [ANN] [shameless plug] folder icons
[ANN] [shameless plug] folder icons

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: [ANN] [shameless plug] folder icons

This is absolutely not a support issue, but I'm not sure where else on the web to post where interested folks might see....

In honor of the impending release of OOo 1.1.2 (final) for Mac OS X, I've updated some folder icons I made for OOo and created some new ones (and, with apologies to Terry, replacements for the Start OpenOffice.org icon). Nothing too fancy in most cases (I'm not a real icon artist, though I play one in NeoOffice/J Smile), some are even pretty ugly, but I like and use some of them, so I thought others might be interested.

You can see a preview/download them at http://www.geocities.com/sardisson/mac/

Please let me know if I'm stepping on any toes, etc. Thanks/apologies in advance.

Smokey
the_webmaestro
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: OOo Folder Icon archive is damaged

I downloaded the file (504KB), but when I launch it, Stuffit complains that the archive is damaged.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm positive I tested the download when I originally posted it, but it indeed was "corrupted," as was a replacement upload. So much for StuffIt being a "flat" binary format these days (or maybe it's just Geo@#$#%#@).

Anyway, I've uploaded a binhexed version instead and edited the link. It's another hundred-plus KB larger, Sad but it works now.

And thanks for the interest in the icons. Wink

Smokey
the_webmaestro
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Thanks! It worked!

I got the new icon archive, and it wasn't corrupted. Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't know how to add it to the folder. I tried, but it wouldn't let me non-admin user nor my admin user apply the folder icon. Even if I did, would it automatically apply the closed *&* open folder icons? Do I need to use resedit?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks! It worked!

the_webmaestro wrote:
it wouldn't let me non-admin user nor my admin user apply the folder icon. Even if I did, would it automatically apply the closed *&* open folder icons? Do I need to use resedit?

Thanks for the reminder about that, too. I forgot it takes a bit of hidden voodoo to apply the icon. I've updated the readme and the archive with new text for the future and will paste it below so you don't have to redownload Smile Let me know if you have problems or there are areas for improvements.

And yes, the way I describe will apply the open and closed icons (for the two that have them) to the folder. Smile

Readme.rtf wrote:
Installing the icons on the /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2 folder:

To install an icon onto the /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2 folder, you will need to temporarily alter the permissions on that folder. To do so, select the folder and "Get Info" on it. Click on the triangle next to "Ownership & Permissions" to expand that section of the Get Info window. Repeat this step with the triangle next to "Details:" and then click the lock next to the "Owner:" drop-down box. Change the owner from "system" to your user name.

Now do a "Get Info" on the icon you wish to paste, click on the icon in the Get Info window, and copy. Click on the icon for the /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2 folder in its Get Info window and paste. The icon in the Get Info window should change to the one you just pasted.

Finally, reverse the owner changes from above; change the owner drop-down box back to "system" and click the lock again to lock the settings. If you do not wish to have the "Ownership & Permissions" section expanded on every future Get Info window you open, click to triangle to collapse the section before closing the Get Info window.

Smokey
the_webmaestro
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: OpenOffice.org1.1.2 Folder Icon changed!

Thanks! I should've known that's what I needed to do! It looks great!

FWIW, I chose this one:

OpenOffice.org 1.1 waves-3 Æ’

Web Maestro Clay
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1