· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Start OpenOffice.org AppleScript error
Start OpenOffice.org AppleScript error

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Brouwer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:35 pm    Post subject: Start OpenOffice.org AppleScript error

I'm using Mac OS X 10.2.8, Xfree86 4.2/XDarwin 1.1, and OpenOffice.org1.1.2. I installed all of this (except the OS [Smile]) last night.

When launching OpenOffice.org1.1.2, I receive the following error:

Quote:
AppleScript Error
Finder got an error: "sysv" doesn't understand the <<event fndrgstl>> message. (-1708)

I haven't been able to find any information online related to my problem. It seems that I have done everything correctly. Has anyone else experienced this?
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Start OpenOffice.org AppleScript error

Ben Brouwer wrote:
I'm using Mac OS X 10.2.8, Xfree86 4.2/XDarwin 1.1, and OpenOffice.org1.1.2. I installed all of this (except the OS [Smile]) last night.

When launching OpenOffice.org1.1.2, I receive the following error:

Quote:
AppleScript Error
Finder got an error: "sysv" doesn't understand the <<event fndrgstl>> message. (-1708)

I haven't been able to find any information online related to my problem. It seems that I have done everything correctly. Has anyone else experienced this?

Hmmm. I have never seen or heard of this particular error message before, and I am not sure what could be causing it. Does it always happen?

Is there anything special about your Mac OS X installation we should know about - like any 3rd party application enhancers ("haxies"); are you logged in as a nomal Admin (default) user, or as a more restricted user/simpler Finder? What was the original version of Mac OS X you installed, and the upgrade path (if any) you took?

Have you removed any AppleScript or Finder components installed by the Mac OS X Installer?

I'm sure we will get to the cause of the problem if you can continue to answer questions I may ask you.

Regards, Terry
[ author of "Start OpenOffice.org" ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Start OpenOffice.org AppleScript error

Hi, Terry. Thanks for your attention. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply!

To answer your questions:
Yes, it happens every time.
No enhancers; logged in as admin user; no restrictions.

My initial install was 10.0; I have receipts on my system for pretty much every 10.x.x update through 10.2.8. I plan to do a clean install when Tiger is in my hands, but that won't be for a while.

As far as I know, I haven't removed any AppleScript or Finder components. Just to be sure, I have run Pacifist to make sure everything is still as it should be.

I have almost the exact same problem with ffmpegX but I can't figure out why.
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Start OpenOffice.org AppleScript error

Anonymous wrote:
My initial install was 10.0; I have receipts on my system for pretty much every 10.x.x update through 10.2.8. I plan to do a clean install when Tiger is in my hands, but that won't be for a while.

I have almost the exact same problem with ffmpegX but I can't figure out why.

I have to guess somewhere in the long upgrade process, some file wasn't updated (properly).

If you know how to use the AppleScript Script Editor, could you please type the following commands into a new AppleScript script window, choose to open the Event Log window (select both checkboxes in the window), click the Run button, and paste the Event Log here. If an error occurs on either statement, just try each one of the statements alone.

Code:
log AppleScript's version
tell app Finder to log system attribute "sysv"

What is "ffmpegX"?

Another question - do you have Classic running; if so, could you try turning off Classic, and launch "Start OpenOffice.org" again (and if Classic re-launches, note that too).

Regards, Terry
Ben Brouwer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject:

When I try the two lines together, it gets hung up on "attribute" and I get a syntax error: "Expected end of line, etc. but found identifier."

The first line run alone logs "(*1.9*)"

The second line alone gives the syntax error, "A identifier can't go after this identifier."

Sheesh, both of those errors have grammar errors! That's almost more frustating than the script not working! Evil or Very Mad

ffmpegX is an app that automates video/audio encoding tasks. (I put a URL under the word ffmpegX, although it just shows up black like the rest of the text in my browser.)
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Start OpenOffice.org AppleScript error

Ben Brouwer wrote:
When I try the two lines together, it gets hung up on "attribute" and I get a syntax error: "Expected end of line, etc. but found identifier."

The first line run alone logs "(*1.9*)"

The second line alone gives the syntax error, "A identifier can't go after this identifier."

Sorry my fault - I typed the real script on another machine, and re-typed the text here - there is an error in the second line. It should be (from memory - note the double quotes I missed last time) :

Code:
tell app "Finder" to log system attribute "sysv"

As an FYI, AppleScript v1.9 is not the most current version of AppleScript for Mac OS X 10.2.x - v1.9.1 was part of the Mac OS X 10.2.3 update (according to my notes). While I did check with a number of different machines and Mac OS X configurations, it is possible that I didn't check with AppleScript v1.9, and there is some incompatibility (more specifically AppleScript Studio runtime support). If you are able to find the appropriate update to apply, you might want to try upgrading your version of AppleScript.

Regards, Terry
Ben Brouwer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject:

Thanks for all your kind help, but even with the correction it didn't work. I thought I'd save all the headache (and even heartache, at this point) and do a clean OS X install. Now everything works fine. I have no idea what was wrong, and it will have to be consigned to the long list of mysteries in this universe.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1