Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Unable to Fully Start OpenOffice
Unable to Fully Start OpenOffice

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewOfficeUser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Forgot to say thanks

BTW, thanks all for the help here! I really appreciate your efforts!

Regards,
Ted
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Befuddled

NewOfficeUser wrote:
To answer your questions, yes, I do have Apple Developer Tools installed. I also ran the latest update for the G5 stuff. That's what I used to compile Orobor.

The version of Orobor I'm running is:
OroborOSX .8 beta 2.

Just curious why you compiled OroborOSX. I meant to mention this to Ed before he built the GM installer, but I didn't get the oppoprtunity Wink - but I wondered why the source for OroborOSX v0.8b2 is supplied, when it is not the current version of OroborOSX. To be honest, I don't know what version of OroborOSX the OOo installer installs (if any - I can't remember), because I already have v0.8.5 installed.

OroboxOSX v0.8.5 fixed a bunch of crash bugs in v0.8b2, for me. I would recommend upgrading (you should be able to install over the existing version).

The latest version of OroborOSX can be found at :

http://oroborosx.sourceforge.net/

Regards, Terry
NewOfficeUser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject:

Hmm... I'll download that version from sourceforge and let you know!

Thanks Terry.

-Ted
NewOfficeUser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: No luck

I downloaded the new version of orobor AND the new version of XDarwin and no luck on my laptop.

I likewise installed them on my desktop to test and I upgraded fine and was able to open OpenOffice fine. I then installed X11 and was able to open OpenOffice in either XWindows environment.

SO...

1) From my laptop, I'm removing the entire /etc/x11 folder and /x11r6 folder.
2) I'm reinstalling XDarwin 4.3 and Orobor
3) I've uninstalled OpenOffice and I'm reinstalling
4) Keeping fingers crossed

NOW...

This is odd to me. On my DESKTOP where OpenOffice installed, I got Ghostscript and other items listed in the "Choose Subcomponents" during the installaion. On my LAPTOP, none of these items appears. I only see "OpenOffice.org 1.0.3." I also choose Custom and I never get the additional items.

Is it possible that one of these subcomponents is *not* being installed and causing the problem???

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ted

I'll let you know how the reinstallation goes...
NewOfficeUser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: I have no idea...

Ok, I surrender!

Same thing... OpenOffice splash screen comes up and then... nothing.

I have no idea what I'm missing here.

The only thing I can figure out is that perhaps the additional components that need to be installed with OpenOffice are not installed properly and need to be reinstalled. That is why OpenOffice does not install them to begin with but can't work without them?!?!?

Ted
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Befuddled

Terry Teague wrote:
NewOfficeUser wrote:
To answer your questions, yes, I do have Apple Developer Tools installed. I also ran the latest update for the G5 stuff. That's what I used to compile Orobor.

The version of Orobor I'm running is:
OroborOSX .8 beta 2.

OroboxOSX v0.8.5 fixed a bunch of crash bugs in v0.8b2, for me. I would recommend upgrading (you should be able to install over the existing version).

The reason why I stuck with .8 b2 was that I had been under the impression that 0.8.5 was a bit more aggressive in claiming OOo extensions and had its own launchers, so I stuck with .8 b2 that I knew would still allow Start OOo to do its thing. Apparently if it's not a problem I'll go ahead and move up to 0.8.5 in the next OOo installer Smile

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I have no idea...

NewOfficeUser wrote:
The only thing I can figure out is that perhaps the additional components that need to be installed with OpenOffice are not installed properly and need to be reinstalled. That is why OpenOffice does not install them to begin with but can't work without them?!?!?

Well, if you had a problem installing one of the crucial ones, you wouldn't even be getting to the splashscreen. The only one that could potentially have a failed install is ghostscript, but that wouldn't be causing OOo to crash at the splashscreen.

I suspect it's crashing when it's trying to load in your fonts, either due to the freetype bug described at the end of this linked thread. You may want to try one of the suggestions there and see if you can get it to start, especially if the "soffice.bin" crashlog (Applications > Utilities > Console > Show Log..., find CrashReporter/soffice.bin) indicates it's deep-sixing in OpenTTFont. That's a freetype bug. Dan fixed it in freetype, but that fix didn't make it into XFree86 4.3.0 or Apple X11 b3.

ed
NewOfficeUser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:27 am    Post subject:

Ed, could you post the link?

The odd thing too is that there are no longer any crash reports being generated by OpenOffice, FYI.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject:

Whoops. Try:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=39

Funny that there are no crash reports at all now. Perhaps it's a memory problem as its running out of memory trying to load all the fonts? Removing the fonts as indicated in that thread can be distilled into:

1) moving all of the .ttf files out of /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/share/fonts/truetype
2) remove the /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/share/psprint/pspfontcache file
3) relaunch OOo

Either one of those fonts may be corrupted, or there simply may be too many for your box to handle. Of course, I could be completley on the wrong track again, but I'm trying Smile

How much free hard drive space do you have on your startup disk? On my cube, at least, I usually require 500-800 free for swap, but then I'm running OOo at the same time as compiling it, usually.

ed
NewOfficeUser

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Machine Specs

Ed,

I have a PowerBook G4 titanium 667 with a gig of RAM and 2 partitions -- main is with OS X and secondary partition is OS 9. There's between 1.5 and 4 gigs free on the main partition and 1.6 gigs free on the second partition. I'm installing everything in the default location of /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3 on the boot drive.

As of this post, I have 1.81 gigs free on my boot drive with OS X.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Memory aside (it was a problem that came up in another thread), can you still try moving the .ttf files aside? That'll determine if you're hitting agains the Freetype crash. If it still makes no change, it'll at least narrow down our search more Smile

ed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject:

Ed,

I'll try that. BTW, using Fink Commander, I was able to download, compile, and install AbiWord with no problem on my laptop and run it in X11 (used the Binary-->install from the menu).

I know it's Apple's and Oranges, but I'm not sure if any of the same libraries are used that might narrow things down.

I'll do the TTF move and let you know.

The saga continues...

Thanks,
Ted
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Are you using the X11 version of AbiWord or the Cocoa port? They would handle fonts differently, I assume. I believe the X11 version of AbiWord uses Xft, while we're using freetype. Is that true?

IIRC I think the AbiWord Cocoa dude skipped town...I'm just trying to do too much already to take it up, even though it's a cool project Wink

ed
NewOfficeUser

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: AbiWord

OPENSTEP wrote:
Are you using the X11 version of AbiWord or the Cocoa port? They would handle fonts differently, I assume. I believe the X11 version of AbiWord uses Xft, while we're using freetype. Is that true?

IIRC I think the AbiWord Cocoa dude skipped town...I'm just trying to do too much already to take it up, even though it's a cool project Wink

ed

Ed, I was using the X11 version. I tried downloading the Cocoa implementation but didn't get it to start on the first try and just dropped it. Already spent too much time on OpenOffice here and I'm determined to get this thing working.

-Ted
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3