Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Don't forget you can search the support forums!
Don't forget you can search the support forums!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: Don't forget you can search the support forums!

As the number of support questions grow, it's inevitable that we have some duplication. People unfamiliar with phpBB, however, may be unaware that you can search the forum for previous answers. To search through previous support questions, click on the following link:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=search

The search feature isn't very advanced, but it may help you to track down a quick answer to your question if it isn't in the FAQs, user manuals, or online help. This forum is also indexed by google, so you may be able to get some more topical search results from them as well Smile

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Don't forget you can search the support forums!

OPENSTEP wrote:
This forum is also indexed by google, so you may be able to get some more topical search results from them as well Smile

Just be careful what you click on from a Google search, because a lot of the Google results are pointing at the "quote" reply page and will cause you to create a new reply rather than read the topic.

These links contain the string &file=posting&mode=quote in their URLs.

Some Google results also contain the "topic review" pages that show up when posting a reply; these are partial threads with no buttons and no links back to the main topic, so they're less helpful.

These links contain the string &file=posting&mode=topicreview&t=n&popup=1 (where n is a 1, 2, 3, or 4 digit number) in their URLs.

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject:

No one ever said gooogle is smart. See this topic for more info on whether i'll track down where in the php to add the recommended google meta tags. it probably won't affect the quote pages already in google, however.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject:

FYI. After being frustrated that I could not find my own Trinity posts and NeoWiki articles, I added a Google search button at the top on this site, the NeoWiki, and the main NeoOffice.org website.

Hopefully having an alternate search engine for our site will help everyone find the information they are looking for easier.

Patrick
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject:

Patrick,

Since the Google button has been added on the top of the page in the wiki, the discussion, edit, history, move, watch buttons don't work anymore.

You can edit sections.

Jacqueline
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
Patrick,

Since the Google button has been added on the top of the page in the wiki, the discussion, edit, history, move, watch buttons don't work anymore.

Looks like the search box is too big and is pushing the links down so that they overlap with text below (I really hate fixed possition CSS).

I will take a look at it today.

Edit: It is now fixed. I moved into the article's ttitle section which makes it no longer overlap with any other links or content.

Patrick
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject:

Thanks Patrick, it works well again.

Jacqueline
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject:

FWIW, Bugzilla also has a Google search box, but it doesn't seem to look on Bugzilla at all.

I find looking for a specific bug (in order to close a duplicate, for example) is becoming harder than ever through the built-in search. It would be nice if Bugzilla's Google search would search Bugzilla (and, I think it could be a good idea to restrict it to Bugzilla only).
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject:

I can confirm that bugzilla.neooffice.org is definitely included in the custom search box on all searches.

However, Google's search results are not controllable by us or anyone. Google's search algorithms are not public and are a closely guarded secret. For us, this means that Google will search and index what it deems relevant and exclude what it deems no relevant.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject:

Well, doing a Google search on Bugzilla only brings up results for Trinity or NeoOffice.org.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to limit Bugzilla's Google search to bugzilla.neooffice.org (assuming this is feasible)?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
Well, doing a Google search on Bugzilla only brings up results for Trinity or NeoOffice.org.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to limit Bugzilla's Google search to bugzilla.neooffice.org (assuming this is feasible)?

I disagree. The point of the Google search is to help users find answers to their questions and I don't see how limiting the pool of content that the answers can be drawn would improve user support. In fact, I think the support load would climb back up again (Bugzilla bug filings dropped noticeably after I added that Google search box).

I understand that finding duplicate bugs might be better. However, it is more likely that you would get no search results as Google apparently is not assigning much relevance to the Bugzilla content.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject:

It looks like Bugzilla really isn't being indexed at all; a Google search of
Code:
site:bugzilla.neooffice.org crash
brings no results. Does Bugzilla perhaps have a robots.txt file, or is Google deciding to ignore bug-trackers?

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject:

I found a robots.txt that was disallowing / so I have changed it to disallow only that attachments subdirectory. Hopefully Google will start indexing it now.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1