Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - New tagline for Neo/J?
New tagline for Neo/J?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: New tagline for Neo/J?

Kind of on-topic, but still random...right now Neo/J is using the tagline "a prototype office suite exploring technologies for use in OpenOffice.org". Well, as Neo/J slowly progresses to being more then a simple prototype, we may want to change the tagline Smile

Any suggestions?

ed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New tagline for Neo/J?

OPENSTEP wrote:
Kind of on-topic, but still random...right now Neo/J is using the tagline "a prototype office suite exploring technologies for use in OpenOffice.org". Well, as Neo/J slowly progresses to being more then a simple prototype, we may want to change the tagline Smile

Any suggestions?

ed

Well, I know this is a big idea here, but I wonder if renaming the project entirely might be appropriate-- the application is good enough that it deserves a good end-user-friendly name.

I guess it's the "/J" part of "Neooffice/J" that's a little wonky in a "technobabble" kinda way. It's just not family-friendly and appealing. Also, I think it suggests the entire office suite is written in Java, which is misleading and could have negative connotations to those who have had poor Java experiences in the past. (ie, the "Java is slow" crowd.)

But of course, you didn't ask about that. You wanted another byline. So may I suggest a couple...

NeoOffice/J...

"Tomorrow's Office Suite. Today."
"An Experiment In Excellence..."
"A Free, Open-Sourced Office Experience."
"Why Pay For What You Can Get For Free?"
"An OpenOffice.Org Suite For Mac OS X"
"It's Not Just For Breakfast Anymore!"
"OpenOffice.Org For Mac OS X"

I know the last one may slightly step on the toes of the X11 port (or NeoOffice Cocoa), but it's kinda accurate and simple. And one one says there can't be more than one OO.O for OS X.

I also think a new Finder icon and Aqua-ish application icon set would be cool for the beta/release of 1.1, but I know there are other threads about that...

Looking forward to those native menus too Wink

Thanks!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New tagline for Neo/J?

Anonymous wrote:
I guess it's the "/J" part of "Neooffice/J" that's a little wonky in a "technobabble" kinda way. It's just not family-friendly and appealing. Also, I think it suggests the entire office suite is written in Java, which is misleading and could have negative connotations to those who have had poor Java experiences in the past. (ie, the "Java is slow" crowd.)

The whole "/J" thing started because Ed and I couldn't think up anything better but we wanted to incorporate the "NeoOffice" name. Since NeoOffice (i.e. the Cocoa port) isn't really active and it is missing lots of stuff like printing, copy and paste, etc., one possibility is to just call it "NeoOffice" and just keep dropping the "/J". Most people I know who aren't active on these forums tend to use both names interchangeably so I don't think this would confuse to many people.

On the other hand, Ed and Dan came up with "NeoOffice" and they want to keep it separate.

Anonymous wrote:

I know the last one may slightly step on the toes of the X11 port (or NeoOffice Cocoa), but it's kinda accurate and simple. And one one says there can't be more than one OO.O for OS X.

I think most of these are really good! My only caveat is that the ones with "OpenOffice.org" are probably out because that is Sun's trademarked name. That's why we used "NeoOffice" all along: Ed has a registered trademark on "NeoOffice".

Patrick

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: New tagline for Neo/J?

Oh, well cool. If Ed and Dan were cool with dropping the "/J" that would be great, and very "gettable", ie "Neooffice == the cool OS X office suite". (It's not likely that the old cocoa version is going to get ressurected, is it? Or would new cocoa work would be added to this version.)

As far as the new slogan/taglines... I didn't realize that OO.o wasn't allowed to be used in derivative products, but probably should have..

So allow me to redo this...

"The Cool Mac OS X Office Suite"
"A Free, Open-Sourced Office Suite for Mac OS X"
"The Better Mac OS X Office Suite"

Thanks again for the hard work and the great product. My mom, a computer neophyte, loves it! Wink

pluby wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

The whole "/J" thing started because Ed and I couldn't think up anything better but we wanted to incorporate the "NeoOffice" name. Since NeoOffice (i.e. the Cocoa port) isn't really active and it is missing lots of stuff like printing, copy and paste, etc., one possibility is to just call it "NeoOffice" and just keep dropping the "/J". Most people I know who aren't active on these forums tend to use both names interchangeably so I don't think this would confuse to many people.

On the other hand, Ed and Dan came up with "NeoOffice" and they want to keep it separate.

Anonymous wrote:

I think most of these are really good! My only caveat is that the ones with "OpenOffice.org" are probably out because that is Sun's trademarked name. That's why we used "NeoOffice" all along: Ed has a registered trademark on "NeoOffice".

Patrick
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject:

How about:

"The Open-Sourced Office Suite without the X Factor"? Wink

- yoxi
ovvldc (away)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
How about:

"The Open-Sourced Office Suite without the X Factor"? Wink

That might run into objections from the authors of a P2P filesharing program that goes by the name of XFactor...

May I suggest:
"Openoffice on the Mac. Without the complications." (provided Sun doesn't object)
"Open Source Office for Mac users."
"Office for the Mac. The Open Source Way."
"Productivity on the Mac. No cost, no hassle."
"The Office solution for Mac users without expendable time and money."

Good luck choosing!

Ovvldc (on vacation in Sweden)[/list]
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1