· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Icon updates for NeoOffice 2.2.3 release
Icon updates for NeoOffice 2.2.3 release

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Icon updates for NeoOffice 2.2.3 release

FYI. In the first half of March 2008, we will be releasing NeoOffice 2.2.3.

Since we have some new code written in 2008, the following files in the both the NeoOffice Aqua Elements package and the RetroOffice Elements 2.1.1 package need updating:

Contents/MacOS/about.bmp
Contents/MacOS/intro.bmp
Source/about.psd
Source/intro.psd

Specifically, the phrase "2003-2007 Planamesa Inc." needs to be changed to "2003-2008 Planamesa Inc.". The Sun copyright dates should remain unchanged for this release.

Also, since we will not be able to do a patch upgrade from NeoOffice 2.2.2 to 2.2.3, this is an opportunity for any image file updates to be done. If anyone wants to modify the artwork in either the NeoOffice Elements 2.1.1 or RetroOffice Elements 2.1.1 packages, feel free to do so. We just need all changes to be finalized by February 28 to allow us time to include it in the release.

Thanks,

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject:

I can do the splash images, no problem.

As for additional icons, I guess we need to have a dev huddle with Armando and others to see if he's done any more icon work in the last few months, or if there are any outstanding "most wanted" Aqua icons one of us can make.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:42 am    Post subject:

I have lost oversight entirely, but feel free to put up a list of icons that still require treatment and I'll see if inspiration hits me Smile.

Best wishes,
Oscar

djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Icon updates for NeoOffice 2.2.3 release

pluby wrote:
Specifically, the phrase "2003-2007 Planamesa Inc." needs to be changed to "2003-2008 Planamesa Inc.".

Done. Note that the copyright text appears in intro.bmp/intro.psd only, not in about.bmp/about.psd. I'll hold off uploading the update for a while in case someone thinks of other changes or additions.
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject:

FYI I've pm'd Armando to see if he's done any work on the Akua icon set. I took a quick tour of the toolbars and I'm very encouraged by how close we are to a complete set. I think several outstanding icons could be produced easily using the prototypes we (mostly Armando!) have already developed.
Punto_Mac
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Sorry for the delay, long weekend at my country.
I haven't done any work on the icon set in the last months, but we're close to have a complete set. The missing icons are mainly in Draw/Impress modules and in the Styles Palette. I'll try to continue the set asap.

Armando
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for all the work on the icon set. I really appreciate it since I'm a totally horrible designer of icons and can appreciate the amount of skill it takes to do it Smile

ed
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject:

Welcome back, Armando! I did some work on a few icons last night, mostly based on your designs. If you think you can do a better job of any of these don't let me steal your thunder. Here's a quick screen grab of the new icons I made - it's just a grab from Finder so they look a bit soft and mushy:

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject:

Hi Armando,

Sweet! Just a few suggestions:

*I don't know use of the fontwork fade icons, but it might be nicer to have them slightly fade (in terms of colour) towards the end as well as taper.

*The endnote icon seems hard to distinguish from the footnote. Maybe the highlighted bit could start a little higher on the page?

That's it so far.. Thanks again!

Best wishes,
Oscar

djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:

I don't know use of the fontwork fade icons, but it might be nicer to have them slightly fade (in terms of colour) towards the end as well as taper.

This design is in keeping with the other fontworks icons I previously created. I was reluctant to change the fontworks icons any more than adding a pinch of Aqua-fication to them, because there are so many and they are so esoteric - I thought it was important to retain the identifiability.

ovvldc wrote:

*The endnote icon seems hard to distinguish from the footnote. Maybe the highlighted bit could start a little higher on the page?

The "blue lozenge" representing the endnote is actually below the page! It's a victim of mushing caused by viewing 26px icons at 24px preview size in Finder.

If Armando doesn't object to my creations (I will cede to his wishes since he is the "daddy" of the Akua toolbars Wink ) I will go ahead and make 16px variants then I'll try to put up some better previews.
Punto_Mac
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
If Armando doesn't object to my creations (I will cede to his wishes since he is the "daddy" of the Akua toolbars icon_wink.gif ) I will go ahead and make 16px variants then I'll try to put up some better previews.

Two Thumbs Up!
Very Happy
amayze
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
ovvldc wrote:

The "blue lozenge" representing the endnote is actually below the page! It's a victim of mushing caused by viewing 26px icons at 24px preview size in Finder.

I think Oscar's point is that footnotes are always at the bottom of the page, but endnotes usually follow the text of the chapter and can therefore start halfway down the page - which might be clearer. However its just occurred to me that depending on style endnotes can be grouped together at the end of the document in their own Appendix, which would look different again. Ho-hum!

Andy
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Andy is right. I understand now that it is supposed to be below the page, but that was not entirely obvious from the reduced size preview Smile.

As long as it is obvious that the endnote is not just at the bottom of the page, I think it will not be confusing. If not, I'd suggest putting it half way or something..

Best wishes,
Oscar

djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject:

Here they are at the proper size, with 16px variants:

ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Nice Very Happy

-Oz