· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Improved Print Dialog
Improved Print Dialog

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cloudster
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Improved Print Dialog

I had a two page document to print 18 copies of, and I needed to do it double-sided. I was very surprised to find that not only could I not tell it to print only page one, but I couldn't tell it to print 18 copies.

I ended up deleting page 2, going through the print dialog 18 times, undeleting page 2, deleting page 1, reloading the paper, and going through the print dialog again 18 times.

I consider this an important requirement for the suite to be taken seriously in an office environment.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject:

What version and patch are you using?

Neo has used the Native Print dialog since 2.0. On my machine, at least, that includes the options of specifying which page to print and how many copies to print.

Note that there is a second Printer Options window that is specific to NeoOffice (inherited from OpenOffice.org's code) that does not include these options, but setting the options in the native print dialog should work.

Are you printing by using a button on the toolbar or by going to the File menu and choosing Print (i.e. command-P)?

Lorinda
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject:

Moved to NeoOffice Support.

It works fine for me in Leopard. If my memory is faithful (is it? Smile), the steps are different in Tiger and in Leopard.

In Leopard, you have to follow these steps:

Choose

File > Print… or press Command-P.

In the dialog which opens, clck on the arrow near the Printer drop-down to expand the window and see all the available options, if necessary.

In the Copies field, enter 18. Leave Pages set on All.

Then in the drop-down which shows Layout, select Duplex Printing & Margin.

Check Automatic Duplex Printing. Choose reduced or normal-size printing, as you desire.

Click Print.

My printer (Canon iP4300) does the job with no problem.

Jacqueline
cloudster
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject:

I'm running the latest patch to NeoOffice (2.2.2 patch 10) and fully patched Leopard (10.5.2). I am definitely not seeing the system dialog, so I've no idea what the problem is. But I am glad to hear that what's happening to me is not normal operations.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject:

cloudster wrote:
I'm running the latest patch to NeoOffice (2.2.2 patch 10)

You should install Patch 11 (it's the last patch) from this page and see if that solves your problem.

When you select File > Print… a dialog opens. What do you see in that dialog?

If you see only two drop-down menus, Printer and Presets and four buttons, PDF, Preview, Cancel, Print, click on the button with a little triangle just on the right hand side of the Printer drop-down. The window will expand and you'll see all the available options.

Jacqueline
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject:

Just checking here - what printer are you using, and does it support double-sided printing, or would you normally print odd-numbered and then even-numbered pages in other apps? (FWIW, in the UK the dialogue refers to Two-Sided Printing, not Duplex).

When you go to print, do you get any of this sequence of dialogues?

cloudster
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject:

OK. I freely admit I'm a newb moron. None of you called me this, I'm self-applying it. Laughing Indeed, I did not have the full print dialog displayed. I'm kinda new to Macs, having had my MacBook Pro only since last July and I'm still learning. 20+ years of PC experience doesn't always help.

Definitely my bad. I have thoroughly enjoyed NeoOffice and hawk it to my friends whenever possible.

(my only wish is an MS Access module, which ain't gonna happen.)

But my sincere thanks in helping me find what my problem was.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject:

No worries. We've all made that kind of mistake at one time or another.

In terms of the MS Access wish, I presume you know about Base, the database component of OpenOffice.org/NeoOffice? It's nowhere near as usable as MS Access, based on the forum comments I've seen (I've never used Access), and it's the least user friendly of the components. But it's also the newest, so there is some hope that it will slowly improve. That's up to the developers at OpenOffice.org; I do know there are significant changes planned in Base for OpenOffice.org 2.4.

Lorinda
cloudster
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject:

I've tried working with Base, with poor results. Professionally I'm a database administrator with 25 years database development experience and over 10 years experience with Microsoft SQL Server. I've used Access since its 1.0 version. I develop card games for fun and alleged profit (www.sparebrainsgames.com) and Access is my primary tool for that. Currently I'm good with Parallels/XP Pro on my Mac, I'd just like to move it to a more Mac solution. Unfortunately FileMaker Pro doesn't come close to what I need to do.

I'll find a tutorial for Base and give it a more serious shot soon.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject:

Mostly I wanted to make sure you knew it existed. When I started using Neo, Base wasn't part of the package yet. I wouldn't be surprised if you still find Base quite frustrating. I've tackled learning how to use the embedded database for some things, (i.e. to write the To Base and Back Again tutorial series in the Neowiki) but I don't have any experience with database administration beyond DoubleHelix (an 80's Mac app), and next to none with SQL. One of the biggest downsides to Base is that to really use it well, the user needs to understand SQL and macro programming. The first, at least, will not be an issue for you the way it is for me.

I've also seen lots of complaints on the OOo boards about it being less than stable for serious projects, as well as awkward to use. I have yet to see anyone claim it's comparable to MS Access yet, although many OOo Base users are hopeful that as the app develops it will get closer to Access in features and usablility.

It works for what I need, and I'm excited to see if the birding database I built works as well as I'm hoping, but if I needed make heavy use of a relational database app, I'd probably use FileMakerPro or Helix RAID, if the latter is ever released for OSX. But my needs are very different (and much simpler) than yours!

Lorinda
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1