Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Launch without opening a file?
Launch without opening a file?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterpqa
Sentinel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Launch without opening a file?

Could NeoOffice launch without opening a file, as if you'd closed all open files and just have "NeoOffice" as the only item in the menu bar?

When I launch NeoOffice, there's no telling what type of file I want to create. If my "Default file format" option is set to "Text document" but I want to create a spreadsheet, I have to wait for the Writer doc to load, then close it, then open a Calc spreadsheet. On my 1.67 GHz G4 1.5 GB machine, this takes an extra 15 seconds or so. Not much time, I know, but it's irritating to just sit there waiting for something completely needless to happen and then wait some more while I'm undoing it.

By the way, lowly aged AppleWorks provides this option.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Well, standard Mac OS X behaviour for newer applications is to open a new blank document window when launched. This has been recommended behaviour since back in System 7 days with the open application AppleEvent.

Look into NOMU or creating a folder with empty document templates for each individual component (writer/base/draw/impress/calc/etc.). Add a folder containing those blank templates to your dock. Then you should be able to open a blank document of your preferred type by choosing the appropriate template from your dock.

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Information about NOMu and other solutions to launch NeoOffice in another component on this Wiki page:

http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_Launch_Shortcuts
peterpqa
Sentinel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject:

Thanks all for the info.
OPENSTEP wrote:
Well, standard Mac OS X behaviour for newer applications is to open a new blank document window when launched. This has been recommended behaviour since back in System 7 days with the open application AppleEvent.

Ed: Interesting that despite this being (Apple's?) recommended behavior, their AppleWorks always had this option in all OS 9 and OS X versions and updates. NRN
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject:

Apple's own apps rarely follow their own guidelines. Just look at how the "reintegration" of the look and feel for iTunes/Mail/Preview/Safari/etc. became a selling point for Leopard Very Happy

Now Neo and OOo violate a million of the Apple HIG; the opening with a blank document was one of the ones we did from the beginning as it's fairly common for Mac apps.

ed
jcw289
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: can't open from a clean palette

Still seems odd that the 'open document' function simply doesn't exist in NeoOffice if there is no other document open. On Windows systems closing the last open file of a program closes the program, but Macs have never behaved this way, and I for one, have always appreciated being able to leave a program running and to open a file from within that program as needed. How inappropriate would it be to have 'command-o' available when no other windows are open?
John
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: can't open from a clean palette

jcw289 wrote:
Still seems odd that the 'open document' function simply doesn't exist in NeoOffice if there is no other document open. On Windows systems closing the last open file of a program closes the program, but Macs have never behaved this way, and I for one, have always appreciated being able to leave a program running and to open a file from within that program as needed. How inappropriate would it be to have 'command-o' available when no other windows are open?
John

I what you are looking for is the new feature described in this NeoWiki article. There is a test patch for the new feature and the new feature will be in NeoOffice 2.2.3 by default.

Patrick
jcw289
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Files, tools, and help menus

Thanks, you are correct that the wiki indicates that feature will be available in version 2.3. It is not in patch 11, which I already have installed, (but somehow failed to read the wiki accurately).
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Files, tools, and help menus

jcw289 wrote:
Thanks, you are correct that the wiki indicates that feature will be available in version 2.3. It is not in patch 11, which I already have installed, (but somehow failed to read the wiki accurately).

Yeah, we left it out of Patch 11 and only put it in a test patch to ensure that it got enough testing by users before we enabled it by default.

Patrick
ScottSO
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject:

I had this same question some time back and found some good responses. Since the thread was created several releases ago, the recommendations may not be applicable any more, but it may be a worthwhile read.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1