Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Problems Posting Messages in Forums
Problems Posting Messages in Forums

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Problems Posting Messages in Forums

I have not yet been able to post a message on NeoOffice forums using my Mac. I have Leopard OS with Safari internet browser. I installed Mozilla Firefox and I still cannot post a message from my Mac. I keep getting an "invalid session". As a result, I have had to use a PC to post messages.

I have not had any problems posting messages in other website forums using my Mac. I use other websites with forums that have nearly the exact same format as these NeoOffice support forums with no problems posting messages with my Mac. So, is there something blocking Mac Leopard users on this site?
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Well, not me at least

Hi Okie. I use Leopard and can post in both Safari and firefox, and I know there are others using Leopard, so there is no issue in that per se. Could be something else in your settings. I am presuming that you had not tried previously under Tiger/Panther or another iteration of OS X. Is that the case? You have obviously logged in on OS X in the same way as you have on Windows. Perhaps you could outline the steps you used, and when the "invalid session" message appeared.

If you search on "invalid session" you will find lots of messages about other forums and this problem at various times. Cookies are often implicated. Are yours enabled? Another suggestion is press "back" and reload the page to reset. There's also an old piece of info. from 2001 indicating that server timeouts could be responsible: again a reload would fix that.

That's my suggestions exhausted Wink
peter
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject:

If you have cookies enabled and you are using Safari, try selecting the Safari :: Reset Safari menu to clear all cookies. This will make sure that any settings from previous forum logins aren't causing your problem.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject:

Also, the Invalid Session errors may appear somewhat frequently on the iPhone when browsing via EDGE as the IP address of the phone shifts fairly frequently (at least for me). You may want to check how "stable" your IP address is on the computer. Generally if you're on a single dialup session or connected directly via cable/DSL you shouldn't encounter this problem, but if you're using something different these problems may show up more frequently.

ed
Okie
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject:

I tried clearing the cookies, but that did not help. The problem may be related to the last entry from Openstep. I use a wireless modem to connect to a wireless internet provider. Internet in my location can only be accessed through satellite.

However, as I mentioned, I have not experienced this problem with forums at other websites. This problem is continuous at this website.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Okie wrote:
I tried clearing the cookies, but that did not help. The problem may be related to the last entry from Openstep. I use a wireless modem to connect to a wireless internet provider. Internet in my location can only be accessed through satellite.

However, as I mentioned, I have not experienced this problem with forums at other websites. This problem is continuous at this website.

Do you have any problems with logging into Bugzilla? I ask because the problems may be due to a subtlety (or bug) in the PHPNuke forum software that we use for this site.

Patrick
Okie
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject:

I have not had problems "logging on" with my Mac. The issue is that I have not been able to post messages on this site with my Mac.

It's been a few months since I have posted any messages on Bugzilla, but did not have problems at the time. Another website I go to is a PHPBB forum, which is nearly identically laid out as this, but I have no problems posting messages there.

I think it is most likely as Patrick said; a subtlety (or bug) in the PHPNuke forum software.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject:

I did some Google searching on the PHPNuke software that we use to run these forums and I think I found the solution. Does anyone notice any change?

Patrick
Okie
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject:

Sorry, it did not work. When I went home yesterday, I still could not post a message on the forum.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject:

Okie wrote:
Sorry, it did not work. When I went home yesterday, I still could not post a message on the forum.

I suspect that your satellite ISP is running your connections to our servers through a shifting set of web proxies that have significantly different IP addresses so it appears from our server's end that several different people are trying to hijack your login session from different computers.

I had loosened the security check to allow proxies in the same broad network but if your ISP keeps switching between different networks, the only way to make this work would be to turn off any security checks and that is definitely too risky for us to do.

Edit: for those who are curious, the security check verifies that the first 2 digits of the IP address that you are posting from matches the same from the IP address that you logged in from. If your ISP uses proxies, our server can only see the proxy's IP address.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1