· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice/J killed my spreadsheet
NeoOffice/J killed my spreadsheet

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice/J killed my spreadsheet

I have just been playing with my newly installed NeoOffice/J Alpha 1.1. with Patch 3 Aqua Menus using (a copy of) a large spreadsheet that I keep some important stuff in. And now my spreadsheet is f*cked.

I added about half a dozen rows to the existing 750 or so rows and told NeoOffice/J to save it. I was asked if I wanted it Excel compatible: I said yes. Took the file across to a different machine; noticed that file size had increased dramatically from 480k to 1.1meg. Excel/X on the other machine says "cannot read file".

I can understand user interface quirks and slowness in a prototype, but breaking spreadsheets really isn't good. If anybody wants to get in touch with regard to reproducing the problem, I can be reached at "contact<at>alanlittle.org"

regards
Alan Little
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject:

From your posting, I detect that you are surprised that the Aqua Menus patch may not be perfect. This is surprisingly since I explicitly have stated that the Aqua Menus patch may be buggy and may even crash.

I suspect that you are unfamiliar with how open source software is tested. You may want to take a look at the following posting that, I believe, constrasts the differences in testing commercial versus open source software:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=741&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

The pain of finding and reporting bugs and crashes may not be something that you are interested in (I agree that it is not very fun), but if you are, then the best way to help when you find a crash is to file a bug in Bugzilla at http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/ and provide a crash log and as much detail as to what you were doing when the crash happened as you can remember. This is critical is Neo/J and the the underlying OOo code is huge and these details can, in many cases, really help in tracking down where the crashing is occurring.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:12 am    Post subject:

Patrick is also really good at noting what is ready for any type of "real" usage...but patched Neo 1.1, especially the native menu patches, should not be used in anything approaching a production environment. There's a reason certain patches are under the "Testing" forum as opposed to "Support" Smile

All that said, thanks still for the patience with the patches. If possible, if you have the original file that the application fuzked (and if it doesn't contain any trade secrets) could you forward it along to one of us?

Generally, if NeoJ is misformatting or losing information, it isn't going to be a problem with NeoJ. NeoJ only affects user interface concerns; things like file compatibility, file corruption, or macro issues need to be filed in the OOo project itself, not NeoJ. It's not our job to fix bugs that live in OpenOffice.org itself. We only fix bugs and, indeed, only respond to bugs that are directly related to the Mac OS X integration of OpenOffice.org using NeoJ/Java2D technologies. Nothing on Mac OS X in Java or Carbon directly affects spreadsheets, so it's better addressed as an OOo bug with OpenOffice.org or on oooforum.

ed
AlanL

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject:

> [Ed] if NeoJ is misformatting or losing information, it isn't going to be a problem with NeoJ

That's also what I thought. But I'm not familiar enough with the OpenOffice project to know where to raise the bug or what sort of level of detail somebody might need in "steps to reproduce". If one of you guys would have time to have a look at the broken spreadsheet and raise an OpenOffice bug accordingly, I'd be happy to help.

> [Patrick] I detect that you are surprised that the Aqua Menus patch may not be perfect.
I'm not in the least surprised that a UI prototype has an imperfect UI. I noted a few ways in which it was behaving strangely with autofiltered lists, on which I'd be happy to provide detailed notes if anybody is interested. I was, perhaps naively, surprised that a UI prototype running on top of a stable and solid engine trashed data.

I'm perfectly familiar with the bug reporting process, thank you. I have contributed bug reports for Tomcat and Firefox in the past. But, as I said, I'm not familiar enough with this family of projects to know where I could most usefully raise something like this.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject:

AlanL wrote:
I'm perfectly familiar with the bug reporting process, thank you. I have contributed bug reports for Tomcat and Firefox in the past. But, as I said, I'm not familiar enough with this family of projects to know where I could most usefully raise something like this.

Cool. Our bugtracking system is pretty similar to Tomcat´s. Here is what would be most helpful. The following steps have helped me find and fix most Neo/J and OOo crashes so far.

1. Create a bug in Bugzilla at http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/ and copy and paste in the contents of the crash log. The crash log can be found in the $HOME/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/soffice.bin.log on Jaguar and (I think) /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/soffice.bin.log on Panther (Ed, can you correct me if the Panther path is incorrect?).

2. Add anything that you might remember doing when the crash occurred. For example, selecting a particular menu item, closing a window, right-clicking on an object, etc.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
1. Create a bug in Bugzilla at http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/ and copy and paste in the contents of the crash log. The crash log can be found in the $HOME/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/soffice.bin.log on Jaguar and (I think) /Library/Logs/CrashReporter/soffice.bin.log on Panther (Ed, can you correct me if the Panther path is incorrect?).

If you're not good with these files or folders, or had crashes with soffice.bin (OO.org X11 build crashes get filed in the same log because it has the same filename), you can also open the Console app (in Application/Utlities), look for soffice.bin and copy the relevant crash report by hand.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1