Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Suggestion: Find & Replace Carriage Return and Line Feed
Suggestion: Find & Replace Carriage Return and Line Feed

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
infogeek
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Suggestion: Find & Replace Carriage Return and Line Feed

I wish there was an easier way to Find & Replace various non-alphabetical formating marks. In particular, I wish I could Find or Replace carriage returns and line feeds (line breaks). This is useful when manipulating data from Palm Desktop, Outlook, .csv files, tab delimited files, schedule data from websites, etc.

Often, line feeds need to be replaced with carriage returns or vice versa in order for data to be importable. Also, many people use double carriage returns instead of paragraph formating. Large documents can have hundreds of double carriage returns that need to be replaced with single carriage returns or line feeds.

Other characters I wish I could find and replace: quotation marks, apostrophes, tabs, page breaks, slashes, backslashes, section breaks, non-breaking spaces, non-breaking hyphen. While some of these can be found using \t or \n or ASCII codes, it is a clumsy and complicated process.

Manipulating data is a useful feature of MS Word. Currently, I use an old copy of Mariner Write I happened to have. Otherwise, I don't know how I would work with hundreds of carriage returns or line feeds.
dobby
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: find and replace unprintables

Hey, no responses to this? I'll be cheeky and bump the topic.

A quick search of the forums gave me this link:
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/hillview/OOo/

Is "Iannz find & replace" still state-of-the-art for finding and replacing complicated patterns (namely, regexps), and unprintable characters like carriage returns or tabs in Neooffice?

dobby
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: find and replace unprintables

dobby wrote:
A quick search of the forums gave me this link:
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/hillview/OOo/

In theory, you can use the IannzFindFiles.uno.zip file on that website in NeoOffice and OpenOffice.org. Try installing that file by selecting the Tools :: Extension Manager menu and in the dialog that appears, press the Add button, and select your downloaded copy of the IannzFindFiles.uno.zip file.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject:

infogeek:

Sorry you didn't get a quicker response; I'm not sure how I missed your post.

One good starting point for this issue is the Using Find and Replace article in the Neowiki.

dobby:

Thanks for bumping it, and for the link to Iannz's macro.

Lorinda
Haneef
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Find & Replace

Hi,
I a very new to this application and this forum do excuse my question . . .

Reading from post i have downloaded IannzFindReplace.SXW but don't know the way to attach this macro on NeoOffice using extension Manager i have added the files but nothing appear kindly guide me.

I am searching for an Macro to do my task of
1) finding some character and replacing it.
2) Saving New Document (file location) based on parameter
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject:

You must not install the macro via the Extension Manager.
Installation instructions are in page 5 of the downloaded file, i.e. in the last page of the document.

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Part of the confusion here is that Patrick is referring to IannzFindFiles set of macros, which is different than IannzFindAndReplace.

The file Patrick refers to is installed using the Extension manager.

The FindAndReplace file is actually a Writer File with the macros embedded inside it. The file includes instructions for use. Unfortunately, the instructions for installation appear to be out of date.

I don't know an easy way to copy the macro library from the document to your main macro libraries, but I think I know another route. I'll do some experimenting and get back to you.

Lorinda
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject:

Got it! And it was easier than I thought!

Here are the installation instructions, updated for the current version of NeoOffice:

1a.Tools menu > Macros > Organize Macros>NeoOffice Basic...
1b. click on the Organizer button then the Libraries tab
2. Select My Macros & Dialogs from the Dropdown (you cannot add items to the NeoOffice Macros & Dialogs section)
3.Click Import...
4.Navigate to where this file is stored and select it, click Open
5.Uncheck “Standard” but leave “modIannzFindReplace” is checked
6.If updating from an old version check “Replace existing libraries”
7.Close, Close

Once you've done that, then you just need to invoke the IannzFindAndReplace macro in the modIannzFindAndReplace module of the IannzFindAndReplace library. If you're not sure how to do that, take a look at the Using Macros article in the wiki. If you still have questions after that, post back.

Lorinda
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1