· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Setting the page number
Setting the page number

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owenkc
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject: Setting the page number

I'm trying to write a book, with every chapter being a different file. I want the pages to number consecutively throughout the book, so if one chapter finishes on page 80 (say) I want the next chapter (file) to start numbering from page 81

Can I do this with NeoJ? If so, how - and how is the "Offset" field of the "Edit Fields" pop-up do? That sounds to me as though it ought to do the job, but I can't get any joy out of it. Oh to be computer literate, rather than just a stupid wordsmith!

Dave
Luke
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Hi,
Quote:
I want the pages to number consecutively throughout the book, so if one chapter finishes on page 80 (say) I want the next chapter (file) to start numbering from page 81

OOo implements this in a really odd (to me) way. At the place you want the numbering to start from (the beginning of each chapter file, in your case) do Insert/Field/Other. Select the Variables tab, then the Set page variable option. Turn it on, and enter the offset you want. Click insert, then close.

Where you want the page number to show, repeat most of the above except pick the show page variable option, and select a suitable style. DO NOT use the ordinary insert/page number. This doesn't take any notice of the Set page variable field.

Good luck with the book!

Luke
owenkc
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject:

Hello, and thanks for the advice.

Quote:

At the place you want the numbering to start from (the beginning of each chapter file, in your case) do Insert/Field/Other. Select the Variables tab, then the Set page variable option. Turn it on, and enter the offset you want. Click insert, then close.

That would be fine if it did something, but when I do that - nothing happens! Does it make a difference that I'm using Neo/J, not OOo?

Dave
Luke
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Sorry you're still having trouble. It shouldn't matter whether you use Neo/J or OOo for this - I checked the behaviour in both before my initial reply, and it is identical. In both, nothing happens to the page numbers already present. You have to remove those, and re-insert using Insert/Field/Other - Variables/Show Page Variable. All that appears after the first step is a little grey marker to show where the reset point is.

Just to check, what version of Neo/J are you using? I tested with Neo/J 1.1 - Aqua menus.

Luke
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Setting the page number

owenkc wrote:
I'm trying to write a book, with every chapter being a different file. I want the pages to number consecutively throughout the book, so if one chapter finishes on page 80 (say) I want the next chapter (file) to start numbering from page 81

Can I do this with NeoJ? If so, how - and how is the "Offset" field of the "Edit Fields" pop-up do? That sounds to me as though it ought to do the job, but I can't get any joy out of it. Oh to be computer literate, rather than just a stupid wordsmith!

You can also use the Master document function. It is fairly straightforward. You link in all of the chapters and make the index in the Master. It will renumber the individual documents as they are brought into the complete document.

Of course, this has its own issues because I am unable to edit the style of the page numbers in the TOC. See also:
http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=758

(I still haven't figured this out, despite frustrating attempts)
owenkc
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Setting the Page Number

Thanks for your advice, folks.

Luke wrote:

Just to check, what version of Neo/J are you using? I tested with Neo/J 1.1 - Aqua menus.

Mine tells me it's NeoOffice 1.1 Alpha 2 Patch 3. Means nothing to me, but I hope it's the latest.

ovvidc wrote:

You can also use the Master document function. It is fairly straightforward. You link in all of the chapters and make the index in the Master. It will renumber the individual documents as they are brought into the complete document.

Thanks for that suggestion - I'll give it a try.

Hope you get a fix for your TOC problem soon.

Cheers,

Dave
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting the Page Number

owenkc wrote:
Mine tells me it's NeoOffice 1.1 Alpha 2 Patch 3. Means nothing to me, but I hope it's the latest.

It is.

owenkc wrote:
ovvldc wrote:

You can also use the Master document function.

Thanks for that suggestion - I'll give it a try.
Hope you get a fix for your TOC problem soon.

Actually, I did. For some vague reasons, the default page lay-out is in Roman numerals. And the TOC takes its format from the style of the page it is on.

So if you have this problem: Choose Menu>Lay out>Page. Go to the Page tab and look at the right bottom area. Change the numerals from I, II, III to 1, 2, 3.

Now if I could only get the page number to start at 2 after the first page and somehow figure out to make it a roman numeral in the first few pages... I'll let you know how it turns out.

On a side note, does anyone know whom I should e-mail with suggestions for the help file? This thing about the origins of the numerals should be in there..
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1