Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Gained aqua Print dialog, lost Options
Gained aqua Print dialog, lost Options

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Gained aqua Print dialog, lost Options

10.3.5, Neo/J 1.1 alpha 2 patch 3 (non-aqua menus).

Since the arrival of the aqua Print dialog, I no longer have access to the Options dialog (summoned by the Options button on the Ooo-native Print dialog). The Options dialog does automatically appear if, instead of printing, I choose Save as PDF from the aqua Print dialog (it appears after I've chosen a filename for the PDF file).

I need the Options dialog in order to use the Brochure feature. At the moment, if I want to print using Brochure in Neo/J, I have to save the left/right pages as two separate PDF files, and then print from them in OSX, instead of just doing two print runs direct from Neo/J.

I've posted this as a bug, but it may be a deliberate decision to have the Options available for Save as PDF, but not for printing. Since the Options dialog appears after the aqua Print dialog when I choose Save as PDF, I assume it should also be possible for it to appear after hitting Okay for printing there. Am I wrong about that? I'm interested to know whether this inconsistency is intentional, or unavoidable, or what's the story.

Meanwhile, if anyone has found some other way of invoking the Brochure feature, I'd be grateful to hear about it - I've been trying to find alternative methods, but have so far failed.

- yoxi
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, that dialogue used to pop up unrequested all of the time. Either I've flipped a setting somewhere, or the underlying OOo code in 1.1 doesn't make it pop up all of the time (an improvement in most cases, though not yours I guess Sad)

I can't find any setting right off, and I can replicate the behavior in OOo 1.1.2, so I'm guessing that the OOo code is the true culprit (other than a Mac OS X standard print dialogue, which has been with NeoJ since 0.7 Smile).

On the other hand, as a work-around, you can tick the settings you want in the NeoJ Tool>Options>Text Document>Print and then flip them back when you're done.

Smokey

Edit: Belay that, I just had the dialogue pop up on me when printing in Alpha 2 Aqua menus (I'd avoided doing so because of the hanging bug). Hmm. I don't think I flipped any settings? Smile
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Smokey - well, the wacky thing is that I just tried your workaround of checking the Left Pages and Brochure in Tools>Options>Text Document>Print, and then hit Cmd-P for print and clicked on Okay... and then the Options dialog came up! Go figure...

Still, I've got what I wanted there, so I'm happy again - and as you intimated, there are probably a lot of users out there who are only too happy *not* to see that dialog every time they go to print something.

- yoxi
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject:

I wonder if what's really going on is that there's some bug that's causing the options dialogue to appear/not appear intermittently? Question

Smokey
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject:

Well, that's what I thought (which is why I posted it to bugzilla) but I wasn't sure whether it was deliberate, seeing as people might want to be freed from the Options option. It's not an issue in X11 because it's just a choice that's always offered in the native print dialog.

But having it appear after the aqua Print dialog in this way could still be deliberate - if I've set non-default settings in Tools>Options>etc., perhaps it's just reminding me of the fact, which is useful - save me printing brochures when I don't want to. Undocumented Feature? Brrr...

- yoxi
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
But having it appear after the aqua Print dialog in this way could still be deliberate - if I've set non-default settings in Tools>Options>etc., perhaps it's just reminding me of the fact, which is useful - save me printing brochures when I don't want to. Undocumented Feature? Brrr...

But I don't think I've changed any of those settings in the prefs.

In a perfect world, rather than popping up all the time, the Print Options would appear instead as the "NeoOffice/J" "print settings pane" (or whatever the technical term is) accessible from the drop-down menus in the (aqua) print dialogue.

Or even (perhaps less work involved tying the dialogue's appearance to a button instead of just integrating its text, etc.?) how GraphicConverter does it, which is partial integration:

Press the button and the old GC print options window pops up to set all of those options.

In a perfect world, of course, where someone was paying Patrick lots of $ to work on NeoJ full time Laughing

Smokey
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:47 am    Post subject:

What you said...

- yoxi
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:00 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
and then hit Cmd-P for print and clicked on Okay... and then the Options dialog came up! Go figure...

This is a feature of NeoJ. The dialog appears when printing is invoked trough the file menu item, or its shortcut, and doesn't when hitting the print ICON.
This is documented somewhere, I don't remenber where, probably on this forum.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:32 am    Post subject:

Max_Barel wrote:
yoxi wrote:
and then hit Cmd-P for print and clicked on Okay... and then the Options dialog came up! Go figure...

This is a feature of NeoJ. The dialog appears when printing is invoked trough the file menu item, or its shortcut, and doesn't when hitting the print ICON.

Yes, that's the behaviour I was expecting, that's why I logged the misbehaviour as a bug (I never use the print icon for that very reason).

But as it turns out, after I changed the setting in Tools>Options>Text Document>Print in order to print using Brochure, the misbehaviour has fixed itself, so now even when the Tools>Options>etc. is set to the defaults, the Options dialog still comes up after I press Okay in the aqua Print dialog - which suggests that there was some kind of preferences corruption issue that has now straightened itself out.

Smokey, when you said you could duplicate this misbehaviour in 1.1.2, were you using the print icon, or File>Print/Cmd-P? If the latter, then this is a more widespread bug - if the former, then could you please try it with File>Print/Cmd-P and see whether the Options dialog still doesn't appear - and if it doesn't, whether it reappears again after changing the settings in Tools>Options>etc.?

- yoxi
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Smokey, when you said you could duplicate this misbehaviour in 1.1.2, were you using the print icon, or File>Print/Cmd-P? If the latter, then this is a more widespread bug - if the former, then could you please try it with File>Print/Cmd-P and see whether the Options dialog still doesn't appear - and if it doesn't, whether it reappears again after changing the settings in Tools>Options>etc.?

Sorry, I dropped the ball on this one...but I think either you or I got confused in the process of hashing this out.

The options dialogue doesn't seem to come up at all in OOo 1.1.2 X11, presumably because it appears as a button on the print dialogue there. I have this vague recollection of 1.0.3 popping it up all the time, but I only used 1.0.3 for a few months before stumbling upon NeoJ 0.7.x (which, as Max noted, certainly had the popping up feature), and I've loooooong since trashed my 1.0.3 installation.

Is the options dialogue still popping up regularly for you in NeoJ? (It is for me, but I've not been doing much printing, so not much of a testcase.)

(Patrick, if you read this, or someone else with some programming skills Smile) I wonder how much work it would take to implement the "simple tie-in" (GraphicConverter method above) so that the options dialogue only appears when the user specifically requests it (i.e. goes to that pane of the print dialogue and presses the "NeoOffice/J Options…" button)? This page at Apple appears to point to the relevant Apple documentation for C and Obj-C methods of creating print dialogue extensions...but then I can't even AppleScript my way out of a paper bag. Smile

Smokey
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Is the options dialogue still popping up regularly for you in NeoJ?

Yes, the problem seems to have fixed itself since I edited the Tools>Options>Text Document>Print dialog, which is why I'm guessing it was a prefs problem. The Options dialog now comes up after any aqua print dialog unless I use the Print icon from the toolbar (which I never do...)

I agree it'd be most handy if it got migrated to an option button in the aqua print dialog, though whoever implements this would have to ensure that any choices made there (which would be during the Print dialog) would stick when the Print dialog itself was completed. which might not be trivial...

- yoxi
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Quote:
Is the options dialogue still popping up regularly for you in NeoJ?

Yes, the problem seems to have fixed itself

So perhaps that bug can be closed out now.... Smile

yoxi wrote:
I agree it'd be most handy if it got migrated to an option button in the aqua print dialog, though whoever implements this would have to ensure that any choices made there (which would be during the Print dialog) would stick when the Print dialog itself was completed. which might not be trivial...

Yeah, I definitely thought about that and figured it was the non-trivial part of the work (assuming, that is, that the rest of the dialogue extension creation was well-documented and straight-foward as it seemed before it caused my eyes to glaze over Wink)

Smokey
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:52 am    Post subject:

Quote:
So perhaps that bug can be closed out now....

Okay, I've just closed it as 'not a bug' - I didn't actually realise that I had the 'power' to do that myself in bugzilla - it's so democratic! Maybe we could set one up for governments??

- yoxi
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject:

AHAHHA! If we're at least as entertaining as the British Parliment Prime Minister's Questions period I say we should go for it Wink

AFAIK anyone should be able to change the status of bugs in IZ. Just like anyone can get at the source in CVS. As long as asshats don't abuse the system, we should be able to keep it that way.

ed
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, vout (as Slim Gaillard so aptly expressed it...)
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1