Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - A better icon?
A better icon?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
The Neo ship also did win an icon award from MacAddict IIRC (though it may be different). I think I have the magazine in my little Neo article collection and can dig it up Smile

Mac|Life (née MacAddict)

If you have the mag, would you mind scanning the part about Neo? I'd like to see it, and they never did post it on their website, to my knowledge....

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject:

Not at all! I'l get it scanned once I locate it...the computer room in my office is a mess Wink

ed
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject:

i forgot to mention, i noticed before christmas there was an OO.o mag that was released. ($16!!!!) but it had good info in it.

as for the mac port, this official mag recommends neooffice.
Waluigi
Sentinel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject:

More importantly, the Finder icon of NeoOffice still has this ugly before-10.5-low-res look. Leopard has been out for months and I had hoped this issue would be adressed in the new version.
It may not be that important, but it does make the program look unpolished.
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Waluigi wrote:
More importantly, the Finder icon of NeoOffice still has this ugly before-10.5-low-res look.

Perhaps foxcorner can whip up a new 512px bitmap for us, from the vector (?) source file.

btw is the source file for the icon available anywhere, as with the Aqua/Akua elements? It might be handy to have some high resolution bitmaps generated for future Akua development, not to mention the press kit.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject:

djpimley wrote:
Waluigi wrote:
More importantly, the Finder icon of NeoOffice still has this ugly before-10.5-low-res look.

Perhaps foxcorner can whip up a new 512px bitmap for us, from the vector (?) source file.

btw is the source file for the icon available anywhere, as with the Aqua/Akua elements? It might be handy to have some high resolution bitmaps generated for future Akua development, not to mention the press kit.

The source ship.psd file is in the NeoOffice cvs repository. So, in theory, I just need to reboot into Leopard and use Icon Composer to create a higher resolution ship.icns file. Tiger's Icon Composer only allows you to create a 256 x 256 .icns file.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject:

IIRC, the PSD is only 256x256. I talked to Dan about getting larger size (the ship itself is larger, but the globe would have to be redone) a while before the release of 10.5, but as Patrick noted, there weren't tools available to make the icons at that point, and it sort-of fell off my radar. I'll get back with him again.

Smokey

Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject:

Would be really could if 2.2.4 came with a new 512px icon already. By now all major open-source and commercial Mac apps have one and I'd be surprised not to see it in the new NeoOffice release.
Keep up the great work!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject:

I have the original Photoshop .psd file that was used to make the icon. However, since I don't have Photoshop nor would I know how to use Photoshop to create a 512x512 icon, we need some help to do this.

If anybody might be able to do this, you can get the .psd file at the following URL:

http://anoncvs.neooffice.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/neojava/etc/package/ship.psd

Thanks,

Patrick
pad
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I have the original Photoshop .psd file that was used to make the icon. However, since I don't have Photoshop nor would I know how to use Photoshop to create a 512x512 icon, we need some help to do this.

The downloadable PSD is 256x256 pixels, not enough to make a 512x512 icon, it would be blurry.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Dan (foxcorner) is working on this; there are some artifacts of some of the effects he has to fix yet.

OTOH, I can provide an icon file with 256x256 size right now, if we wanted to incrementally add the new sizes.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
OTOH, I can provide an icon file with 256x256 size right now, if we wanted to incrementally add the new sizes.

That would be great! A 256x256 icon would be a significant improvement on high resolution monitors.

I just need any modifications to the .psd file and a new .icns file.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject:

In any case, who desperately needs a 512x512 icon? Even on a very decent sized 1900x1200 monitor one single such icon would take up around a tenth of your screen area alone..

-Oz
Waluigi
Sentinel

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject:

If you use Coverflow in Leopard, the difference shows. Of course it may not be essential, but it is important to making the program look polished and fit well into the stylish Leopard interface. Great to hear it's being worked on.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Darn it. There had to be some use for that big icon...
Oh well. 256x256 will be a big improvement anyway.

-Oz

\ who is still running Tiger

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4