NeoOffice :: View topic - Aqua menu patch available for testing
Aqua menu patch available for testing

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M-Rick

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
M-Rick wrote:
I have a problem, I can't save any file. With or without the Aqua menu patch, when I click on save, NeoOffice doesn't save nothing and the dialog box stays like this waiting for ...

This sounds like your user configuration files have somehow become corrupted. You can verify if this is the case by doing the steps listed in the second posting in the following forum topic:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=740&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Patrick

It doesn't work Sad Same problem. And I tried with the non Aqua menu version Sad
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: keys assignement

fabrizio.venerandi wrote:
using the 'aqua' version of neooffice I got this problem: I assigned a key combination (apple-shift-J) to a macro. All was working fine with the old version. Using the 'aqua' version the apple-shift-j is used for the full screen option, and my configuration is not used.

Offhand that sounds like another incident of the following bug i saw in BZ:

http://bugzilla.neooffice.org/bug.php?op=show&bugid=184

I know Patrick recently did some work on the keyboard shortcuts which may solve this issue. Can you wait for the next native menu patch and try again? I'll try here as well. If you do need that keyboard shortcut for critical work, though, it's best to use the non-native menu patch for the time being.

ed
AlanL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: re: Aqua Menus

Earlier today I posted a query to the support forum about why I wasn't seeing Mac-style menus after installing Patch 3. That was before I found this thread, so please (support moderator if you read this) ignore or delete that query.

(Suggestion: you might want to put a link to the Aqua menus version on the main page now that lots of Tim Bray's readers are going to be going there, like I did)
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject:

on a slight side note, i put neo/j with the alpha patch on a friends dual g5.

it was disturbing how fast it opened up.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject:

With the aqua menus patch, even with full keyboard assist turned on, I don't get any response from ctrl-F2 - which normally drops down the apple menu and lets you navigate the menu options by keyboard, sort of...

Is this an unfixable issue to do with Ooo/java 1.3 not handling the ctrl key - or something in this aqua menu implementation that could be fixed? I use it often enough to miss it.

- yoxi
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: see bug 181

yoxi wrote:
With the aqua menus patch, even with full keyboard assist turned on, I don't get any response from ctrl-F2 - which normally drops down the apple menu and lets you navigate the menu options by keyboard, sort of...i

I reported this as a side note of bug #181 which is now fixed, even if I'm not sure if Patrick fixed this also or only the main topic of the bug. We have to wait for the next patch to see and possibly reopen it.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
on a slight side note, i put neo/j with the alpha patch on a friends dual g5.

it was disturbing how fast it opened up.

I too have examined Neo/J performance personally on a dual G5. My thoughts are that Neo/J really takes advantage of the dualie G5 machines in a number of ways. First, although the 1.5 VM can only take advantage of it in limited ways, the Apple Java virtual machine really is architected to take advantage of multiprocessing and good multithreading. Just use Thread Viewer to look at any Java application using AWT/Swing with the Apple 1.3.1 VM or higher and you'll always see more then one thread running Smile

Also, the most underestimated benefit of the Apple G5 architecture is the sheer memory bandwidth. The Apple VM has a penchant for grabbing lots of memory (as Patrick mentioned earlier) and OOo itself likes loading lots of code from its dylibs when it starts up. On non-G5 systems this is all limited by memory bandwidth, especially if the machine doesn't have a lot of physical ram (virtual memory adds disk latency into the startup time equation). With G5s, however, the memory bandwidth is so large and low-latency that all of this startup allocation and loading requires a very small amount of time. While I haven't personally tried OOo/Neo out on a single-processor G5 machine, I suspect that the newer and higher performing memory architecture will outperform a G4 of similar clock speeds.

ed
M-Rick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject:

On my PM G4 400 Mhz, with 1,5 Gb RAM, it takes 30 seconds to start it is 3 times slower than microsoft office. I have the NeoOffice Splash screen after 15 seconds only.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject:

On my 400MHz tibook with 1Gb ram, NeoJ takes 40 seconds to start up - but then I've got folding@home's CLI running too! I just do something else while it's launching.

And I try to make sure I never quit NeoJ by accident, instead of closing the last doc (I'm still hoping for an 'Are you sure you want to quit Y/N?' messagebox option...) and I keep the app running snappily using ProcessDaemon (launched by Pseudo) to renice NeoJ once it's launched.

I still find NeoJ easier to use than X11 Ooo, apart from the absence of scrollwheel support which keeps catching me out - but then I keep reminding myself that I didn't even *have* a scrollwheel mouse this time last year, it's my fault if I've got too dependent on it, since I'm the one who's always ranting on about making everything keyboard-triggerable. I've now added macros to Cmd-Up and Cmd-Down that move the cursor up/down 5 lines at a time. One adapts.

- yoxi
cforde

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:33 pm    Post subject: Start up time on an iMac

On my 1G iMac with 256M of ram running OS X 10.2.8, it takes 45 seconds for the splash screen to appear and 75 seonds for the empty document window to be drawn. But I can live with that because it works so well. I plan to add 512M to the system soonish. I'm sure the start up time will improve dramatically.
fabrizio.venerandi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 12:25 am    Post subject:

After I got 512mb ram to add the 256mb default, on my pb 1,33ghz, it took 35 seconds to start. I have to say that all the lags problems switching from neooffice to finder or another applications, are gone.
simply neooffice is hungry of ram. giving him a lot of ram, it works real better.

f.
Ross

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:43 am    Post subject: Fast launch on G5

I didn't see anybody provide launch time on a single-processor G5, so FWIW on mine (1.6 ghz with 1.25gb RAM) NeoOffice/J launches in 9 seconds.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fast launch on G5

Ross wrote:
I didn't see anybody provide launch time on a single-processor G5, so FWIW on mine (1.6 ghz with 1.25gb RAM) NeoOffice/J launches in 9 seconds.

Sweet! I'm pining for an upcoming 12" G5 Powerbook. And the cash to buy it :/...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: icons in menus

OPENSTEP wrote:
M-Rick wrote:
Just miss the icons

This actually was a conscious decision on my part...or perhaps punting becuase I'm lazy.

In most Mac OS X applications, I've rarely seen icons within menus. The foremost exception in my mind is Safari where the .ico file for the server is displayed alongside the name of the bookmark. Aside from that, I've not really seen a major usage of them.

ed

Acoording to Apple HIG icons may be ised for items that depict a file or a folder. And web locations are seen as such.

There are never icons for items that invoke an action.

Therefore in Finder only the items in the Go menu heve icons, as have bookmarks in Safari.

In OOo, icons for recent files would be OK, but other icons definitely not. Maybe icons for new files, but i am nut sure of that...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:12 pm    Post subject:

That is a very astute reading of the HIG for where icons in menus should be placed. At this time, though, it's probably easiest to continue on the route of leaving all icons off. Putting them on only the file-based menu items requires adding more logic into OOo itself, not just doing the graphics layer porting. In general, we're going to be postponing that type of work until after we can get the base stuff working OK Very Happy

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9