Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - dual-monitor presentations
dual-monitor presentations

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: dual-monitor presentations

Actually, this is not a feature request, but a quick link to this GulFOSS blog entry on the Sun Presenter Console.

It describes an extension to show a presentation slide on a one monitor, and the slide and other stuff (notes, next and previous, etc.) on another.

It is still in Beta, and would have to be compiled under OSX to work with NeoOffice. As Ed and Patrick do not have the resources to program this by themselves, this could eventually make NeoOffice much nicer for those who want to use it for presentations.

Best wishes,
Oscar
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject:

I really wonder why they keep pushing these things out as extensions and not part of the core program. Although it does decouple the release schedules (and does actually make extensions...). This kind of strikes me more as a core feature, not a little addition.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Their spec was vetoed? Razz

I do seem to recall that some Sun add-ons/extensions were payware, so perhaps doing extensions keeps the option of monetizing the feature? Or, maybe that's just an easier way to do things than hacking the OOo code itself?

Smokey

Cipher

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject:

It's surely a better way to beta-test something like that than to have to include it in the huge download - since they don't have the famed NeoOffice patch technology working for them Smile. Makes for a faster testing cycle.

- padmavyuha
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject:

I see the advantage when it comes to modular development and testing. And not everyone has two monitors.

Would it stop you from including it in the base NeoOffice 3 installation? I know Camino does the same thing with the Flashblock extension and Java Embedding Plugin.

Best wishes,
Oscar

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Our patching and installation infrastructure already handles extensions, so anything reasonable that really should be a core feature can be included.

ed
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject:

urok
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject:

I've begun looking at the source code. The original page lists dependencies on OOo 3...that would be sad if there are dependencies on changes to the core code, otherwise why make it an extension? Smile I'll keep looking.

ed
Kiwisteve
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: dual-monitor presentations

ovvldc wrote:
Actually, this is not a feature request, but a quick link to this GulFOSS blog entry on the Sun Presenter Console.

It describes an extension to show a presentation slide on a one monitor, and the slide and other stuff (notes, next and previous, etc.) on another.

It is still in Beta, and would have to be compiled under OSX to work with NeoOffice. As Ed and Patrick do not have the resources to program this by themselves, this could eventually make NeoOffice much nicer for those who want to use it for presentations.

Best wishes,
Oscar

Yes.. I have looked at the extension conceptually for a users perspective (I am not a code monkey - just a user). Having this extension in Neo would be great.. I think it is a great idea. Idea

I think the latest version is compatible with Openoffice v3 (the MAC OS version). It will not install in NeoOffice (as some extensions will) Shame As I would find it very useful when doing presentations.

Hopefully the Neo team will make it available/or include it's functionality for us at some stage in the not to distant future. Very Happy

S.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: dual-monitor presentations

Kiwisteve wrote:
Hopefully the Neo team will make it available/or include it's functionality for us at some stage in the not to distant future. Very Happy

That extension is automatically installed during the NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access build. However, I have no idea how to verify if it works or not. Can someone post some simple steps so that I can check if it works?

Patrick
Kiwisteve
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: dual-monitor presentations

pluby wrote:
Kiwisteve wrote:

That extension is automatically installed during the NeoOffice 3.0 Early Access build. However, I have no idea how to verify if it works or not. Can someone post some simple steps so that I can check if it works?

Patrick

Cool.. I am on 2.2.5 patch 2 so obviously didn't realize.

S.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1