· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Add Comments
Add Comments

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrGreg
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Add Comments

I would like to sees the insert comments feature as it is available in Microsoft Word to be able to insert a comment into a document.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject:

It does already exist in NeoOffice - Insert::Note (no idea why they called it something different). I can confirm that a doc saved with notes as a Word doc will display them as Comments when opened in Word.

So far, I've not been able to find a way to get Neo to display the notes by default, the way they do in Word, for example - you have to double-click on the little yellow box to display the note.

- padmavyuha
DrGreg
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject:

Yes I have figured this out since I posted my request. However, the note feature is a little bit different, in that the note doesn't show unless you click on it, and also you can't encapsulate a chunk of text on which you want to address the note to.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject:

How do you do this 'encapsulating' thing? I'm using Word 2004 Mac and I can't see how it's done. I'd like to try making one in Word and then opening it in NeoOffice to see what Neo does with it.

By the way, if like me you find the little yellow boxes hard to see, you can change the Note Indicator colour in Tools::Options, NeoOffice::Appearance - scroll down to the Text Document section and change the Note Indicator colour.

Meanwhile, I agree that Word's Comments are a lot more user-friendly!

- padmavyuha
DrGreg
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject:

I use Word 2004 on the Mac, and Word 2003 on the PC side. Using the mouse I select the text, then go to insert comment. The PC side is best as the selected text remains highlighted, whereas on the Mac brackets indicate the selected text linked to the comment box.

Just as a side comment I also got word 2008 install. What a dog! it keeps crashing all the time. have given up using it, and now use Neo when I want to access .docx files
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject:

I've just tried, and Neo doesn't seem to pick up comments when it opens a Word 2004 doc.

- padmavyuha
PhilMac
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: no import of Word comments?

I also tried opening a .doc file containing comments: they didn't show up at all in NeoOffice.

This is actually the single issue that's preventing me from switching this very instant — I really need to be able to work with existing comments in my documents.

Am I missing something?
PhilMac
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Word comments import — solved!

Idea Solved. You can access imported notes through the Navigator (command-shift-F5). Open it, double-click on "notes," and it'll list all the notes in the document. Double-clicking on a particular note in the list takes you there. To edit a note, control-click on the note in the list, then select "Note" and then "Edit."

This is really awkward — I mean, I ought to be able to scan the document and see where the notes are without the Navigator. Instead, if I'm viewing the changes, I can see fresh notes I've created in NeoOffice, but none of the imported ones.

Actually, a separate messed-up feature is the program's inability to choose to show only the notes and not the changes in a document. If you want to see notes embedded in the document, you have to view the minefield of changes you've made too. (Pages does this, and it makes notes useless to me because all the changes obscure the notes!)

And why on earth don't the notes wrap?

Amazingly, all this, in a document full of notes, is still preferable to the Word 2008 experience. Rolling Eyes
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject:

I can't tell you at the moment whether imports of Word comments works in OpenOffice v3, because when I try to import a Word doc with comments into the OOov3 aqua, it hangs Confused. It may have been resolved in v3, I don't know. I'm going to try it in winxx when I get the chance.

- padmavyuha

*edit* the good news is that in OOov3 (beta) in winxx, you now get comments imported correctly into OpenOffice from a Word doc. The bad news is that it still doesn't emulate the 'selected text' thing that Word does, but it does display the note and point to its insertion point. Let's hope this carries across nicely to NeoOffice when it goes to version 3.

*further edit* I posted the hang in OOov3 aqua and it turned out to be a duplicate (next time I'll know to search for 'crash' instead of 'hang', even though it hung rather than crashed...) and qa says this bug is fixed in m20.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1